Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Home and garden projects

Home and garden projects

Old Jun 6th 2017, 2:08 am
Wolf In Sheeps Clothing

Sheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Home and garden projects

Originally Posted by tom169
Nice! In or above ground? What type of filter are you getting?

I've just drained the pool at my new house after it not being cared for in years. The thing smells so bad. It took days of draining as it was much deeper than I anticipated - about 10ft in the deep end.

My wife counted at least 150 large dead tadpoles after I dumped a gallon of chlorine in. I think they were only a few weeks off maturing into full bull frogs.

It's that horrendous that I'm paying a friend to take care of it. He can stomach more than me.
In ground with Pentair pump, chlorinator and cartridge filter. Can't wait! Going to try and do a time lapse of it all.

Wow, that's deep! Ours will only be 6 foot. I think deeper is more usual for older pools when diving boards weren't so much of an insurance liability.

Last edited by Sheepdip; Jun 6th 2017 at 2:10 am.
Old Jun 6th 2017, 2:15 am
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sheepdip
In ground with Pentair pump, chlorinator and cartridge filter. Can't wait! Going to try and do a time lapse of it all.

Wow, that's deep! Ours will only be 6 foot. I think deeper is more usual for older pools when diving boards weren't so much of an insurance liability.
Great, ours is a similar set up, but have a DE filter. I wish it hadn't - it's much more of a pain to maintain.

Yeah, I think you're right. There is a mark on the ground from where a diving board existed. I need to take my new angle grinder to some old bolts this weekend.
Old Jun 6th 2017, 2:33 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

..... I need to take my new angle grinder to some old bolts this weekend.
I didn't know you have an angle grinder!
Old Jun 6th 2017, 3:12 am
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I didn't know you have an angle grinder!
The Mrs let me.
Old Jun 7th 2017, 9:24 pm
Wolf In Sheeps Clothing

Sheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond repute

Great, ours is a similar set up, but have a DE filter. I wish it hadn't - it's much more of a pain to maintain.

Yeah, I think you're right. There is a mark on the ground from where a diving board existed. I need to take my new angle grinder to some old bolts this weekend.
They've moved us up - digging starts tomorrow!
Old Jun 8th 2017, 1:02 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Sheepdip
They've moved us up - digging starts tomorrow!
Awesome! Today I worked more on cleaning my pool. I chlorine washed all the walls and scooped 130 dead frogs out of the bottom of the pool.

On Friday I have a sewage truck coming to pump out the rest of the dirty water.

On Saturday I have a pool guy coming to install me a new timer for the pump.

On Sunday I might be swimming

How long is it going to take for your install start to finish?
Old Jun 8th 2017, 10:26 am
BE Forum Addict

chawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond repute

Awesome! Today I worked more on cleaning my pool. I chlorine washed all the walls and scooped 130 dead frogs out of the bottom of the pool.

On Friday I have a sewage truck coming to pump out the rest of the dirty water.

On Saturday I have a pool guy coming to install me a new timer for the pump.

On Sunday I might be swimming

How long is it going to take for your install start to finish?
You need to be careful there. If you have a high water table, you could end up 'floating' the pool. In general, you should never do a full drain of a pool.
Old Jun 8th 2017, 11:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by chawkins99
You need to be careful there. If you have a high water table, you could end up 'floating' the pool. In general, you should never do a full drain of a pool.
The truck will be hauling the water away. I thought this happens when dumping water around the pool?
Old Jun 8th 2017, 11:29 am

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

The truck will be hauling the water away. I thought this happens when dumping water around the pool?
If the water table is high (as it is on our property) an empty pool shell effectively becomes a boat and can "float" up out of the ground.

We have similar concerns regarding our underground Propane tanks.
Old Jun 8th 2017, 12:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

chawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond repute

I live on the coast but am 35ft above sea level. Nevertheless, our water table is less than 6ft below the surface. Lower after a prolonged dry period.

When our liner was replaced, they had to dig a temporary well and pump it out for 2-3 days before draining the pool (and continue pumping until the pool was refilled).

If you live on high ground with well-draining soil, probably not a problem but I wouldn't be taking any chances.

Nutek lives on a river so probably in a worse position than me.
Old Jun 8th 2017, 12:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hmm this has me worried. I guess i'll have the sewage guy clean up the crap, and i'll start filling right away. Or perhaps fill it up and leave the sewage stuff on the bottom for him to get.
Old Jun 8th 2017, 12:42 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

4 - 6 feet I believe, depending on time of year.
Old Jun 8th 2017, 12:53 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Hmm this has me worried. I guess i'll have the sewage guy clean up the crap, and i'll start filling right away. Or perhaps fill it up and leave the sewage stuff on the bottom for him to get.
Don't worry too much, CHawkins is in Florida where the water table is often barely below the surface, and can easily push up on a pool enough to cause serious damage to a pool. Google "Florida borrow pit" to read about why most housing and commercial developments in Florida have a lake or ponds - they need to dig out enough dirt to raise the level of the rest of the land a foot or two, enough to build on. Race tracks in Florida also always have a pond in the infield for the same reason.

In our part of NC the solid clay doesn't lend itself to much water leaching out of the ground into a hole. I have dug holes of 4-5 ft with absolutely NO groundwater seepage.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jun 8th 2017 at 1:42 pm.
Old Jun 8th 2017, 1:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ask your pool guy. He should know what the risks are for your area. It may be a non-issue.

An alternative would be to replace the water using the tarp method.
Old Jun 8th 2017, 1:36 pm

Hmm this has me worried. .....
.... When our liner was replaced, they had to dig a temporary well and pump it out for 2-3 days before draining the pool (and continue pumping until the pool was refilled).

If you live on high ground with well-draining soil, probably not a problem but I wouldn't be taking any chances.

The geology in Florida is unusual, with high water table and highly permeable ground. Here in this part of NC the ground is solid clay and digging into it is like digging candlewax, literally. You can dig a hole with vertical sides and the side will not fall into the hole, at all, and it can be difficult for a septic system to drain properly because of the clay. I don't even know where our water table is, all I know is that I have never dug deep enough to find it despite a having dug down 4-5 feet on at least 14 occasions that I remember.

The only significant risk I would see here is that rainfall could pass behind the pool liner and try to float the liner out, but so long as there is concrete apron around the pool to direct water several feet away from the pool, that problem is unlikely IMO. That said, it is generally bad practice to leave a pool empty for longer than the briefest possible time.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jun 8th 2017 at 2:03 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.