Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Home and garden projects

Home and garden projects

Old Mar 14th 2017, 4:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

newadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Home and garden projects

I like that idea - I was thinking of using the wood to build a farmhouse table. I thought that i would have to wait a couple of years before it was seasoned and usable, so decided against it though
Old Mar 14th 2017, 5:02 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by newadventure
I like that idea - I was thinking of using the wood to build a farmhouse table. I thought that i would have to wait a couple of years before it was seasoned and usable, so decided against it though
I am sure Boiler would agree with your decision - I think you made the wrong one!
Old Mar 25th 2017, 7:34 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

So it's time to replace the screen mesh on the old-fashioned wooden screen door. First step: remove the trim strips, and the screen mesh .... and strip out all the staples holding everything in place .... all 166 of them! .... plus another 38 from a prior replacement that would prevent a neat repair!!!
Old Mar 26th 2017, 6:37 pm
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
So it's time to replace the screen mesh on the old-fashioned wooden screen door. First step: remove the trim strips, and the screen mesh .... and strip out all the staples holding everything in place .... all 166 of them! .... plus another 38 from a prior replacement that would prevent a neat repair!!!
Ta for reminding me about replacing our couple of ripped window screens. Don't know whether it was birds or tree branches blown about in a windstorm, but suddenly we have two slashed screens.

Our window screens are metal so no staples needed (I think) but I need to buy some mesh & get going on that....
Old Mar 26th 2017, 6:56 pm

Originally Posted by WEBlue
.... Our window screens are metal so no staples needed (I think) but I need to buy some mesh & ....
You'll likely need spline, and a spline wheel (tool).
Old Mar 26th 2017, 7:16 pm
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

You'll likely need spline, and a spline wheel (tool).
True. I've seen a spline wheel at our local hardware store (I think $7). Looks like a double ended pizza cutter.

The YouTube video I watched said sometimes you can reuse the old spline if it's still flexible enough, but I may buy more spline just to have on hand.
Old Mar 26th 2017, 9:43 pm

Originally Posted by WEBlue
True. I've seen a spline wheel at our local hardware store (I think $7). Looks like a double ended pizza cutter.

The YouTube video I watched said sometimes you can reuse the old spline if it's still flexible enough, but I may buy more spline just to have on hand.
It might be possible to reuse it, and I reuse and repurpose as many things as I can, but spline is dirt cheap. ..... If buying ahead, be sure to check what diameter of spline you need, there are at least two, if not three.
Old Apr 9th 2017, 3:13 am
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Closing on a house soon and looking at getting a home security system. So far CPI seem the best. Any other suggestions?
Old Apr 9th 2017, 3:55 am

Originally Posted by tom169
Closing on a house soon and looking at getting a home security system. So far CPI seem the best. Any other suggestions?
Frontpoint. ..... Very easy DIY installation. Zero system-generated* false alarms in 2ΒΌ years. The system is wifi indoors, so no cables to install, and communicates with the monitoring center over a cell phone connection, so no wires for a burglar to snip. Very responsive customer service. Recommended to me by a tech boffin I know who is an IT director of a fairly major marketing technology company.

The basic recommendation is for door and motion sensors, however many of each you need, but there are other options such as smashed glass audio detectors. The system can be hooked up to video cameras, but they need power and a cable internet connection. Needless to say it is all connected to an internet interface, so you can arm and disarm the system remotely.

Let me know if you're interested and if I refer you we both get a free month of service - they seem to have some other deals too, so it's fine if you can get a better deal on your own.

* Ol' fumble - fingers has accidentally triggered it a couple of times.

Last edited by Pulaski; Apr 9th 2017 at 4:05 am.
Old Apr 9th 2017, 1:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Frontpoint. ..... Very easy DIY installation. Zero system-generated* false alarms in 2ΒΌ years. The system is wifi indoors, so no cables to install, and communicates with the monitoring center over a cell phone connection, so no wires for a burglar to snip. Very responsive customer service. Recommended to me by a tech boffin I know who is an IT director of a fairly major marketing technology company.

The basic recommendation is for door and motion sensors, however many of each you need, but there are other options such as smashed glass audio detectors. The system can be hooked up to video cameras, but they need power and a cable internet connection. Needless to say it is all connected to an internet interface, so you can arm and disarm the system remotely.

Let me know if you're interested and if I refer you we both get a free month of service - they seem to have some other deals too, so it's fine if you can get a better deal on your own.

* Ol' fumble - fingers has accidentally triggered it a couple of times.
Thanks. I hadn't heard of them so will bare then in mind. At least they have their prices listed online.

I'll give you a shout for the free month nearer time. Looks like their other deal is $40 off, but monthly cost looks around $50 and so the free month would win.

We close on the house at the end of this month and I've said that as part of my home insurance I'll get an alarm system, so can't leave it too long.
Old Apr 11th 2017, 6:15 am
BE Practitioner (Level 2)

username.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond repute

Struck up a conversation with one of my neighbors who ended up giving me a tour of his back yard over the weekend. I traded half a bag of fruit-fertilizer for a ton of plumeria cuttings. They now each in their own pots, and starting to come out of dormancy already.

This weekend I also grafted two varities of blood orange (Sanguinelli and Tarocco) to a mandarin root stock I had. Looking forward to seeing how that turns out

Gardening is my newest hobby.
Old Apr 11th 2017, 12:16 pm

Originally Posted by username.exe
Struck up a conversation with one of my neighbors who ended up giving me a tour of his back yard over the weekend. I traded half a bag of fruit-fertilizer for a ton of plumeria cuttings. They now each in their own pots, and starting to come out of dormancy already.

This weekend I also grafted two varities of blood orange (Sanguinelli and Tarocco) to a mandarin root stock I had. Looking forward to seeing how that turns out

Gardening is my newest hobby.
You're new to gardening and have been grafting citrus fruits?

I need to sharpen my ride on mower blades and complete my first pass of the lawns weeds. . I then need to get the weed and feed down, after a quick refurbishment of the drop spreader which needs a scrub with a wire brush, a rust treatment, and a couple of coats of spray paint. Luckily I have lots of spare time.
Old Apr 11th 2017, 3:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

ddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond repute

Has anyone seen the Netflix series called "Grand Designs"? It's British and shows several unique house build projects and what you can do with a million or so. Some impressive builds.
Old Apr 11th 2017, 3:43 pm

Originally Posted by ddsrph
Has anyone seen the Netflix series called "Grand Designs"? It's British and shows several unique house build projects and what you can do with a million or so. Some impressive builds.
You mean like this one that was in the news a few days ago?
Old Apr 11th 2017, 9:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

ddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond repute

You mean like this one that was in the news a few days ago?
I wonder if he did that project himself or hired some contractor who didn't know what he was doing?
On the program one project was in London and the owner bought a very small odd shaped lot and excavated the entire lot for a mainly underground home. It required a whole lot of cooperation from the adjoining property owners.
The lot alone was over 500k in dollars.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.