Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Home and garden projects

Home and garden projects

Old Dec 29th 2015, 11:21 am

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Home and garden projects

Originally Posted by username.exe
How do I do this? Mount the bracket to a piece of wood and then mount that to the wall?
Yes. Ignore every suggestion involving more work than this.

Better yet, stick a stand on it and sit it on something. Wall mounted TVs are an abomination.

Now I'm wondering why a "stand" isn't called a "sit". My entire morning.... Gone.
Old Dec 29th 2015, 2:07 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Remove any loose rust or paint on the rusty spots with a wire brush (a small one, not much bigger than a toothbrush would probably be best) then paint the rusted areas with a rust treatment, working it in well used an old/cheap brush - Lowes/HD probably sells some, but a car repair store certainly will.

Rinse off the rust treatment per the directions and leave to dry, then use a metal primer (which is available in white, though using a grey primer will ensure that firstly you get the whole gate covered with primer, and then afterwards you get good coverage with a white top coat). You'll probably want a smooth finish, as opposed to "hammered", and you probably have a choice in white spray paints of satin or high-gloss finish.
He's painting it black.
Old Dec 29th 2015, 2:26 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Still get a cheapy blaster from Harbor Freight or use my friends shot cabinet.
Old Dec 29th 2015, 2:34 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
That would probably cost more than just replacing the whole thing with new.
Old Dec 29th 2015, 2:40 pm
BE Practitioner (Level 2)

username.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond repute

Remove any loose rust or paint on the rusty spots with a wire brush (a small one, not much bigger than a toothbrush would probably be best) then paint the rusted areas with a rust treatment, working it in well used an old/cheap brush - Lowes/HD probably sells some, but a car repair store certainly will.

Rinse off the rust treatment per the directions and leave to dry, then use a metal primer (which is available in white, though using a grey primer will ensure that firstly you get the whole gate covered with primer, and then afterwards you get good coverage with a white top coat). You'll probably want a smooth finish, as opposed to "hammered", and you probably have a choice in white spray paints of satin or high-gloss finish.
Thanks for this detailed break down. No such thing as a quick job! Back burner for now... those rusty spots are really annoying to look at though.
Old Dec 29th 2015, 2:44 pm

username.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
Can you get him to drive it out here? I hear gas is only $1.69 round your way .
Old Dec 29th 2015, 2:57 pm
WTF?

Can you get him to drive it out here? I hear gas is only $1.69 round your way .
Are you trying to spruce up the door and get a few more years out of it? Or are you trying to rebuild it, make it better than it ever was, and have it as a family heirloom for generations to come?

If it's the former, do it my way. If it's the latter, join the masochist brigade and go on and build your bionic door. You have the technology.
Old Dec 29th 2015, 3:04 pm

Originally Posted by Leslie
Are you trying to spruce up the door and get a few more years out of it? Or are you trying to rebuild it, make it better than it ever was, and have it as a family heirloom for generations to come?

If it's the former, do it my way. If it's the latter, join the masochist brigade and go on and build your bionic door. You have the technology.
Realistically, I'm only trying to get a few more years of of it. I do often find that when the opportunity presents itself to turn a simple DIY job into an over-the-top spectacle, I go down that path and spend the rest of the weekend cursing myself.
Old Dec 29th 2015, 3:50 pm
WTF?

Realistically, I'm only trying to get a few more years of of it. I do often find that when the opportunity presents itself to turn a simple DIY job into an over-the-top spectacle, I go down that path and spend the rest of the weekend cursing myself.
Home renovation is much like war. You must ...

1. Have a clear and attainable objective
2. Have a plausible exit strategy in order to avoid endless entanglement
3. Fully analyze the risks and costs
4. Consider the consequences of your actions

etc.

If you don't do these things, most specifically the exit strategy, you will end up with a Viet Nam on your hands. Twenty years of wasted blood and treasure and you still come out the loser.
Old Dec 29th 2015, 4:16 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

10-15 minutes with wire brush
5-10 minutes with rust treatment
5 minutes rinsing rust treatment off, plus 30 minutes drying time in the sun.
Spray primer + spray top coat, 5 minutes/coat, 15-30 minutes between coats (personally I would do two of each, so about 2.5 hours of which most is spent waiting for the paint to dry.

So four hours to get a gate that should be good for 3-4 years. If you skip the rust treatment expect to be going the same process again 12 months from now.
Old Dec 29th 2015, 4:29 pm
WTF?

That post was so awesome that I read it twice.
Old Dec 29th 2015, 4:42 pm

10-15 minutes with wire brush
5-10 minutes with rust treatment
5 minutes rinsing rust treatment off, plus 30 minutes drying time in the sun.
Spray primer + spray top coat, 5 minutes/coat, 15-30 minutes between coats (personally I would do two of each, so about 2.5 hours of which most is spent waiting for the paint to dry.

So four hours to get a gate that should be good for 3-4 years. If you skip the rust treatment expect to be going the same process again 12 months from now.
Not too bad, then.
Forgot to add three trips to Home Depot to purchase and return incorrect products .
Old Dec 29th 2015, 4:45 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Not too bad, then.
Forgot to add three trips to Home Depot to purchase and return incorrect products .
I always purchase for the next project when I "return" from the previous project, and return from the current project when I buy for the next project. ..... That hasn't prevented me making three trips to Lowes on the same day before now though!
Old Dec 29th 2015, 11:11 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Something like this.
Old Dec 31st 2015, 4:26 pm

So I'm considering putting an en suite bathroom in. We have a large bedroom to fit it in and badly need another bathroom. I feel comfortable doing the studs and dry wall, installing the bath/toilet, but the plumbing is another issue.

Fortunately, we already have water taps and waste pipes in the area we want the bathroom (from where the laundry previously was). My big question is how much work/cost is it likely to be to connect a toilet soil pipe to the sewer line (City). The proposed location is 'on the way out', and ground floor.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.