Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Home and garden projects

Home and garden projects

Old Nov 26th 2015, 6:23 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Home and garden projects

Originally Posted by Pulaski
So I eventually got all ten logs out of the woods, with my truck serving a log skidder (tractor). I am hoping the sawyer will be able to come and collect them next week, and if everything goes to plan I will be able to collect the sawn timber from the sawyer on the Saturday.
Originally Posted by Boiler
I like to see wood.....

Mine sees the chainsaw first and the splitter second. .....
So after a six month delay for several reasons, I finally got to collect my sawn timber yesterday afternoon. The yield from the logs was:

22 x 2"×8"x10'
12 x 2"×4"x10'
38 × 2"×4"x8'
9 x 1"×6"×various

The billed cost from the sawyer was $143, of which $50 was for collecting the logs. So the cost per 2"x8"×10' was about $3.30, the cost per 2"×4" x 10' was about $1.70, per 2"x4"×8' was about $1.30. .... I am going to assume that Boiler thinks this is a waste of good timber.
Attached Thumbnails Home and garden projects-20151126_112907.jpg  

Last edited by Pulaski; Nov 26th 2015 at 7:21 pm.
Old Nov 27th 2015, 1:04 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Nope, looks very burnable.

I have worked out I can get 2 truck loads, F150, piled illegally high in a morning. After that all the blocking loading and unloading does me in.

I do have a project, not sure when I was going to get to it, best described as a deck of about 3,000 sq ft and the first 2,000 sq ft cost about $15 a sq ft, so milling my own would be the way to go. But I thought of buying one of those mini Canadian sawmills, or better go in with someone to do it.
Old Nov 27th 2015, 9:13 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

So after a six month delay for several reasons, I finally got to collect my sawn timber yesterday afternoon. The yield from the logs was:

22 x 2"×8"x10'
12 x 2"×4"x10'
38 × 2"×4"x8'
9 x 1"×6"×various

The billed cost from the sawyer was $143, of which $50 was for collecting the logs. So the cost per 2"x8"×10' was about $3.30, the cost per 2"×4" x 10' was about $1.70, per 2"x4"×8' was about $1.30. .... I am going to assume that Boiler thinks this is a waste of good timber.
So I unloaded them yesterday and stacked/stickered (spaced) them to dry today. Dämn they were heavy, so I weighed a few and the 2x8's averaged 70lb, and the 2x4's 28lb and 35lb. Total weight .... over 3,000lb! No wonder my truck was riding a bit low.

....... But I thought of buying one of those mini Canadian sawmills, or better go in with someone to do it.
Have a look for local sawmills, pretty much anywhere that has trees also has small sawmills. I had no idea how many there are in my neck of the woods until I started looking. I have used different ones for different reasons, and my recent load of timber was cut by the fourth different sawmill I have used. (One sawyer left the area, one changed his business model (focuses on very large logs - 3'+ diameter) , another uses a traditional disk saw which means you lose quite a lot of timber to the kerf, though he is good for cutting hickory which most sawmills won't touch because it is so incredibly hard.)

Last edited by Pulaski; Nov 27th 2015 at 9:23 pm.
Old Nov 27th 2015, 9:18 pm
Account Closed

Half ton truck?
Old Nov 27th 2015, 9:24 pm

Half ton truck?
Three quarter, nominally, though I don't know what that really means.

BTW I added to my post above, re your search for a sawmill.
Old Nov 27th 2015, 11:12 pm
Account Closed

Three quarter, nominally, though I don't know what that really means.

BTW I added to my post above, re your search for a sawmill.
None I know of where I am, most seem to be lower down.

Custom Lumber I know one of my projects sourced from here.

I was thinking of this.
Old Nov 27th 2015, 11:35 pm

None I know of where I am, most seem to be lower down.

I know one of my projects sourced from here.

I was thinking of this.
I wouldn't mind one of those.
Old Nov 27th 2015, 11:43 pm
Account Closed

Go splits?
Old Nov 27th 2015, 11:55 pm

Go splits?
What do you suggest, keep it in a storage unit in Little Rock?
Old Nov 28th 2015, 12:08 am
Account Closed

I can look after it, all downhill from here.
Old Nov 28th 2015, 12:13 am

I can look after it, ......
That's very generous of you. Maybe I could have it all the time that snow or frost is likely chez Boiler?

Last edited by Pulaski; Nov 28th 2015 at 12:17 am.
Old Nov 28th 2015, 12:23 am
Account Closed

That's very generous of you. Maybe I could have it all the time that snow or frost is likely chez Boiler?
You want it 9 months of the year? Hardly seems fair.
Old Nov 28th 2015, 12:47 am

You want it 9 months of the year? Hardly seems fair.
Such is life.
Old Nov 28th 2015, 12:54 am
Account Closed

Such is life.
Such is my life.
Old Dec 4th 2015, 7:09 pm
BE Practitioner (Level 2)

username.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond repute

I recently purchased a house and have my hands full with several projects.

The garden has this rather ugly green slab in one corner. We already have a covered patio area, and don't need to put up a shed.

Anyone have any ideas with what once could do with this area?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.