Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Travelling through UK & France: which passports?

Travelling through UK & France: which passports?

Old Jan 11th 2024, 12:54 am
Forum Regular

savannah_boy has a reputation beyond reputesavannah_boy has a reputation beyond reputesavannah_boy has a reputation beyond reputesavannah_boy has a reputation beyond reputesavannah_boy has a reputation beyond reputesavannah_boy has a reputation beyond reputesavannah_boy has a reputation beyond reputesavannah_boy has a reputation beyond reputesavannah_boy has a reputation beyond reputesavannah_boy has a reputation beyond reputesavannah_boy has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Travelling through UK & France: which passports?

Hi everyone my daughter and I both have UK & US passports. We live in the USA.
We will be flying from the USA into the UK, Eurostar to Paris and flying back to the USA from Paris.

Which passports to use? I know some people in my boat would just want to use US passports as it is less to think about but I want my dual citizen daughter to start to feel the benefits of both:

Leave US: US Passports
Enter UK: UK Passports
Leave UK Eurostar: Which passports?
Enter Paris Eurostar: Which passports?
Leave Paris for direct flight to US: US passports

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by savannah_boy; Jan 11th 2024 at 12:55 am. Reason: makiing it perfect!
Old Jan 11th 2024, 12:55 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Travelling through UK & France: which passports?

Originally Posted by savannah_boy
We will be flying into the UK, Eurostar to Paris and flying back to the USA from Paris.

Which passports to use? I know some people in my boat would just want to use US passports as it is less to think about but I want my dual citizen daughter to start to feel the benefits of both:

Thanks in advance!

You must use your US PPs to leave and enter the US. For the rest, you can use either.
Old Jan 12th 2024, 9:25 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

We will be flying from the USA into the UK, Eurostar to Paris and flying back to the USA from Paris.

Thanks in advance!
Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
You must use your US PPs to leave and enter the US. For the rest, you can use either.

As Jersey said.

The "benefits" of a UK passport during European travel are pretty much gone with our exit from the EU. Now we queue like everyone else not in the EU.
Old Jan 12th 2024, 1:40 pm
Forum Regular

EdgeAA has a reputation beyond reputeEdgeAA has a reputation beyond reputeEdgeAA has a reputation beyond reputeEdgeAA has a reputation beyond reputeEdgeAA has a reputation beyond reputeEdgeAA has a reputation beyond reputeEdgeAA has a reputation beyond reputeEdgeAA has a reputation beyond reputeEdgeAA has a reputation beyond reputeEdgeAA has a reputation beyond reputeEdgeAA has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
As Jersey said.

The "benefits" of a UK passport during European travel are pretty much gone with our exit from the EU. Now we queue like everyone else not in the EU.
I also did a trip in 2023 to France, where I met my parents (who were traveling from the UK) and then we all went back to the UK together from France. Coming back to the UK I used my US passport to enter since that's all I took with me and I was exactly the same speed going through as my parents who used UK passports so there wasn't any real advantage in the UK either.
Old Jan 13th 2024, 3:20 pm
Forum Regular

savannah_boy has a reputation beyond reputesavannah_boy has a reputation beyond reputesavannah_boy has a reputation beyond reputesavannah_boy has a reputation beyond reputesavannah_boy has a reputation beyond reputesavannah_boy has a reputation beyond reputesavannah_boy has a reputation beyond reputesavannah_boy has a reputation beyond reputesavannah_boy has a reputation beyond reputesavannah_boy has a reputation beyond reputesavannah_boy has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks!
Old Jan 14th 2024, 12:08 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Unless there’s a direct benefit such as visa free travel it’s a good idea to use the passport of the country where you are a resident when travelling as should you require consular assistance then this is typically given by the embassy of the passport you entered the country on and being repatriated to the UK when you live in the US isn’t likely to be very convenient.
Old Jan 14th 2024, 1:49 am
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks in advance!
I take all 3 and in UK/EU I pick depending on which line is shorter, I think you can now use a US passport in the UK E-gates which work a lot less well the than IRIS used to in the UK. In terms of consular help, it’s unlikely you will get consular help from any other citizenship in a country of which you are a citizen irrespective what passport you use to enter…I also keep my US passport in a case to minimize risk when traveling abroad…
Old Jan 17th 2024, 10:48 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EdgeAA
I also did a trip in 2023 to France, where I met my parents (who were traveling from the UK) and then we all went back to the UK together from France. Coming back to the UK I used my US passport to enter since that's all I took with me and I was exactly the same speed going through as my parents who used UK passports so there wasn't any real advantage in the UK either.

Luck of the draw, really, based on crowds. I waited at Geneva, but the EU passport gate had no queue at all. Small airport though.