Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Hiring Casual Day Labor. ...

Hiring Casual Day Labor. ...

Old Sep 8th 2015, 3:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

toopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Hiring Casual Day Labor. ...

ok, so what am I missing here.

I need some help moving stuff and I was going to go to a place I know that some guys hang out looking for work.

I was going to pick them up, take them to the location, they help me move then I drive them back.

I've told a couple of people and they keep telling me it's a bad idea. They don't tell me why though - just "oh no - that's a really bad idea..." WTF?

Apart from getting my throat cut, what else am I missing?
Old Sep 8th 2015, 4:07 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute
Default re: Hiring Casual Day Labor. ...

Originally Posted by toopie28

I need some help moving stuff and I was going to go to a place I know that some guys hang out looking for work.

I was going to pick them up, take them to the location, they help me move then I drive them back.

I've told a couple of people and they keep telling me it's a bad idea. They don't tell me why though - just "oh no - that's a really bad idea..." WTF?

I suppose that they're worried that you'll be ripped off or even strong-arm robbed, tbh. Generally, guys that hang around looking for day work are living rough and might not have too much to lose. Generally, for one reason or another, they're not employable by normal standards.

If you're determined to do this, I would definitely negotiate all prices ahead of time and not pay them until the work has been completed.

Honestly, you'd be better off to call one of the "Two guys and a truck" type places that are listed in the phone book. They'll be insured and traceable and probably won't cost much more.
Old Sep 8th 2015, 5:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

toopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond repute

Mmmm, true.

I tried calling local moving companies and got some ridiculous quotes.

When you say "Two guys and a truck" type places - what would be my search? Local movers?
Old Sep 8th 2015, 5:39 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Mmmm, true.

I tried calling local moving companies and got some ridiculous quotes.

When you say "Two guys and a truck" type places - what would be my search? Local movers?
local movers, two guys and a truck, college guys movers, firefighter movers, apartment movers (even if you don't live in an apartment)
Old Sep 8th 2015, 5:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

thanks! I'll try that.
Old Sep 8th 2015, 8:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

chawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond repute

If you hire a truck from U-Haul, they have the option to order "moving help".
I found their prices to be very reasonable. IIRC, we got 3 guys for 4 hours for $140.
It sure saved us a LOT of backache.
I think you can skip the truck by going straight to movinghelp.com.
Old Sep 8th 2015, 9:01 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

How is your Spanish?
Old Sep 8th 2015, 9:38 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Considering how many contractors and others pick up workers from Home Depot parking lots hard to see any serious risk and likely low risk. That sort of thing has been happening my whole life. Need cheap labor go to HD parking lots.....lol
Old Sep 8th 2015, 9:45 pm
WTF?

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Considering how many contractors and others pick up workers from Home Depot parking lots hard to see any serious risk and likely low risk. That sort of thing has been happening my whole life. Need cheap labor go to HD parking lots.....lol
That's the whole point though, contractors pick them up to supplement their existing crews. They would generally have control of the situation, transportation, setting wages, etc.

This is a woman in her own vehicle ... what could possibly go wrong?
Old Sep 8th 2015, 9:50 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

I've heard of folks contacting the football coach at the high school and getting some big kids to help out, for a donation to the program.
Old Sep 8th 2015, 10:01 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Getting guys from Home Depot to help...

I don't know the gender of the OP.

I've picked up workers more then once and not a contractor, never had an issue.

I am not female so can only provide viewpoint from my perspectuve and experience.

Originally Posted by Leslie
That's the whole point though, contractors pick them up to supplement their existing crews. They would generally have control of the situation, transportation, setting wages, etc.

This is a woman in her own vehicle ... what could possibly go wrong?
Old Sep 8th 2015, 10:01 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hiring Casual Day Labor. ...

I changed the thread title to remove specific store name.

Rene
Old Sep 8th 2015, 10:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Depending on local laws that may actually be illegal. That it goes on and authorities turn a blind eye to it is a different matter. Should you later get ripped off, it's something extra to explain to the police who may be less than sympathetic.
Old Sep 8th 2015, 10:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Yes, female.

I figured I'd pick up the wee ones so I could take 'em should something happen . Actually thanks for the tips - I'll try movinghelp and I've also put the feeler out with my neighbour.

Rene - I was actually going to put "picking up guys on a street corner" but your title says it all - thanks!
Old Sep 9th 2015, 12:35 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

...I was actually going to put "picking up guys on a street corner"...!
I bet that would have gotten you different google results

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.