Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Help with couth wife being uncouth at the dinner table

Help with couth wife being uncouth at the dinner table

Old Dec 10th 2017, 7:50 am
BE Enthusiast

Stuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help with couth wife being uncouth at the dinner table

Originally Posted by BEVS
Erm. I would never serve spaghetti chopped into bits . It's spaghetti.
like noodles i eat with spoon and chop sticks.
Old Dec 10th 2017, 12:08 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
.... I have seen British people eat .... pizza .... with a knife and fork, that's weird...

Next you'll be telling me that eating ribs with a knife and fork is weird too!
Old Dec 10th 2017, 12:47 pm
Forum Regular

Mercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
We have tried to explain "the bread exception" to little Miss P - most things that can be eaten in one's hands are breads of some sort - sandwiches, burgers, toast, biscuits/scones, cake, doughnuts, bread rolls, etc. Pizza is a grey area.
and chicken wings? They fit in the "things that can be eaten in one's hands" in my book.
Old Dec 10th 2017, 12:51 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mercury39
and chicken wings? ....
Are they a bread product?

Mrs P "doesn't like wings", so little Miss P is rarely, if ever, exposed to them.

Personally, I would eat wings with a knife and form if cutlery was available and I was sitting down.
Old Dec 10th 2017, 1:38 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Personally, I would eat wings with a knife and form if cutlery was available and I was sitting down.
Did you have some sort of childhood trauma or something? Nuns with rulers or the like? Get you down to Bubba's or Bobbee-O's and get in there, Pulaski, look around and take a lesson from the locals on how to eat ribs. If you were in Louisiana how would you eat a pail of crawfish? It doesn't take a genius to figure out what you should eat with a knife and fork and what you can eat with your fingers, but one indicator is does it look stupid, and eating wings with a knife and fork, well, it will certainly stand out. The drumstick has far too convenient a handle to ignore as well.
Old Dec 10th 2017, 1:43 pm

Originally Posted by caretaker
Did you have some sort of childhood trauma or something? Nuns with rulers or the like? Get you down to Bubba's or Bobbee-O's and get in there, Pulaski, look around and take a lesson from the locals on how to eat ribs. If you were in Louisiana how would you eat a pail of crawfish? It doesn't take a genius to figure out what you should eat with a knife and fork and what you can eat with your fingers, but one indicator is does it look stupid, and eating wings with a knife and fork, well, it will certainly stand out. The drumstick has far too convenient a handle to ignore as well.
Obviously if I was sitting at a camp table with family and friends, and with a pile of shrimp in the middle of the table on sheets of newspaper, I wouldn't break out the knife and fork!

I can strip ribs to clean and dry bones using a knife and fork, cleaner than if I held them in my fingers. But the most important reason is that I don't like getting my fingers greasy.

I sat at the bar in the Cheesecake Factory in Chicago in 1999 and ate a rack of ribs. The waitress behind the bar looked at me out if the corner of her I every time she walked past, and at the end, as she took my plate, with a pile of dry rib bones on it, said she had never seen anyone eat ribs with a knife and fork before.

Last edited by Pulaski; Dec 10th 2017 at 2:15 pm.
Old Dec 10th 2017, 2:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

steveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond repute

I can strip ribs to clean and dry bones using a knife and fork, cleaner than if I held them in my fingers. But the most important reason is that I don't like getting my fingers greasy.
Yep. I do the same.
Old Dec 11th 2017, 4:32 am
Banned

dc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond repute

I used to eat fish and chips smothered in vinegar, wrapped in a page of the News of the World with my fingers. Was I behaving uncouthly ?

Signed: Extremely worried (formerly of Sheffield)

Last edited by dc koop; Dec 11th 2017 at 6:10 am.
Old Dec 11th 2017, 4:35 am
BE Enthusiast

Stuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond repute

my wife can suck/lick a hole through an oddfellows (thick mint)

A bit uncouth but i live with it.
Old Dec 11th 2017, 4:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

I suspect Pulaski may have learned this culinary skill at Eton or in the OTC.
Old Dec 11th 2017, 6:13 am
Banned

dc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stuck in Auckland

A bit uncouth but i live with it.
My golfing buddy says his girl friend could suck the chrome from a car bumper but he's not complaining
Old Dec 11th 2017, 12:15 pm

Originally Posted by scot47
I suspect Pulaski may have learned this culinary skill at Eton or in the OTC.
My upbringing was closer to that of DC Koop (post #83 above) than toffs in public schools. My father worked in a steel foundry, and he was more particular about cutlery usage than I am. He didn't really enjoy meals that didn't require use of a knife, such as pasta or rice dishes, and didn't eat corn on the cob at all. He was also a life-long stabber of peas, even after Debrett's said that shoveling was OK.

Last edited by Pulaski; Dec 11th 2017 at 1:46 pm.
Old Dec 11th 2017, 12:53 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

My husband can't eat anything without a knife and fork and that includes chicken dumpling soup. What irritates me more (but I've stuck with him for 40 years so nothing major) is how he holds his knife. He holds it like a pen. It's so wrong I can't get my head around it.
Old Dec 11th 2017, 1:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Octang Frye
HALP!

It's driving me nuts. I'm sure it's been done to death in Pet Peeves or TIO, but how can I convince my wife to use knife in dominant hand and fork in other hand, tines down?

She ignores her knife and does the cutting-with-the-side-of-the-fork, and then shovel fork tines up.

I guess I should be grateful she doesn't do the zig-zag/fork switch. I'm beside myself.

Any ideas how to get this lovely, elegant woman trained so she doesn't eat like a prospectin' miner from the San Francisco gold rush?
Oh my goodness. I know I am late to this conversation but having spent most of my growing-up years in the US, I eat like an American. There is nothing wrong with it.

When I was in the Middle East I had a South African have a go at me over it - the first time that had ever happened - and it really, really irritated me and I gave as good as I got in that encounter.

I would definitely not look kindly on it if a European offered to help me become "more polite" by correcting how I hold my utensils.

Keep your mouth shut about it. I am guessing you have no idea how much it is going to grate on your significant other if you bring this up.
Old Dec 11th 2017, 1:57 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Octang Frye
On my word, she is going here:
Home

This came about because on Tuesday, we were out at a tiki bar and she was eating in a way that made me feel uncomfortable.
Oh, bollocks. You don't expect us to believe you're that much of a dick that you'd send your wife to whatever fresh hell that place is supposed to be just because she eats a bit differently to you.

Oh, man, don't you ever change

Originally Posted by Steerpike
Precisely. Get over it. She probably thinks you eat like a barbarian, wielding your knife in your right hand continuously even when not using it to cut anything. Put the knife down, we don't need protecting!
Well, that's a novel way to look at it

I only keep my knife in my right hand through force of habit but I think it's a small bit more efficient that switching hands too. That being said IDGAF if someone else wants to switch hands, unless they're trying to steal my food while they do it ...

Are they a bread product?
They are breaded, so I think they qualify

How much of a pain in the arse would it be to eat wings with a knife and fork, holy shit

There's **** all meat on them anyway, but it's much easier to just get stuck in with your hands. You don't eat a chicken drumstick with a knife and fork, do you?

Originally Posted by Stuck in Auckland

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.