Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Help with couth wife being uncouth at the dinner table

Help with couth wife being uncouth at the dinner table

Old Dec 8th 2017, 5:07 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help with couth wife being uncouth at the dinner table

Originally Posted by lansbury
That is why burgers are best, they can be held in the hands to eat, and the french fries can be picked up with the fingers. No utensils needed at all.
Back in the '80's I worked for a Danish based porcelain company which employed several Danes and one Brit on work visas. All but the Brit ate their burgers with a knife and fork, as well as their pizza.
Old Dec 8th 2017, 5:34 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lansbury
That is why burgers are best, they can be held in the hands to eat, and the french fries can be picked up with the fingers. No utensils needed at all.
We have tried to explain "the bread exception" to little Miss P - most things that can be eaten in one's hands are breads of some sort - sandwiches, burgers, toast, biscuits/scones, cake, doughnuts, bread rolls, etc. Pizza is a grey area.
Old Dec 8th 2017, 5:35 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
We have tried to explain the "bread exception" to little Miss P - most things that can be eaten in one's hands are breads of some sort - sandwiches, burgers, toast, biscuits/scones, cake, doughnuts, bread rolls, etc. Pizza is a grey area.
Pizza greatly depends on the size and/or toppings.

Normal thin crust pepperoni type deal - hands are all good. I tend to eat deep dish with a knife and fork though, unless it's cold leftovers, then it stays together better in the hand.
Old Dec 8th 2017, 5:37 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
We have tried to explain "the bread exception" to little Miss P - most things that can be eaten in one's hands are breads of some sort - sandwiches, burgers, toast, biscuits/scones, cake, doughnuts, bread rolls, etc. Pizza is a grey area.
Children learn by example ... so show the little miss.
Old Dec 8th 2017, 6:00 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
Children learn by example ... so show the little miss.
Oh, we did. She was a joy to behold at 2 years old (upto her second birthday), she was quite proficient with a spoon and a fork, following mummy and daddy's example.

Two weeks later she started daycare and within a week had table manners no better then those of a chimpanzee! It took a good six years to get her back into the same ballpark that she was in on her second birthday.

Today she can use a knife and fork perfectly well, but sometimes has to be reminded to use proper table manners, and some of her classmates, notably but not exclusively boys, still follow the "chimps tea party" model of table manners.
Old Dec 8th 2017, 6:57 pm
Concierge

Ironic that I had a European raised mother and she did not teach us the European style of handling utensils. I learned during my years with the Danish subsidiary and emulating my co-workers. My children use American style as do all 4 grandchildren. Doesn't bother any of us as long as they eat without speaking with their mouths full, don't reach across the table for items that should be passed, don't fidget and don't act like chimps

I've observed many Irish in my old neighborhood using the two utensils at once method and frankly, I was appalled at the way they held their knives and particularly, their forks. It was downright painful to watch them shoveling food into their mouths with their left hands with their tines up.

I use both methods of eating styles depending on the company I'm with. I would no more call attention to the fact that they are using their utensils incorrectly (read that as American style) then telling them that their noses are too big for their faces and that their teeth are horrid and they should call a dentist immediately.

To some Americans watching a European eat with 2 utensils at the same time makes it appear that they are afraid someone is going to steal their knife or fork or that they are so hungry they can't get the food into their mouths fast enough.
Old Dec 8th 2017, 6:59 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
Pizza greatly depends on the size and toppings
No, whether you use fingers or utensils depends on how hot it is, if it's scalding hot you use a knife and fork and take your time.
Old Dec 8th 2017, 7:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

KK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond repute

This thread is such an eye-opener! I truly had no idea that there were 'American' or 'European' styles, so to speak, in which to handle cutlery. All's fair, of course - it's not a big deal, so long as nobody's eating with their mouth open. I did think my husband was a little uncouth in his manners! But I judge him a little less now (and myself a little more - I really did think that I was polite and doing it 'right', while he was merely uncivilised ).

It never would have occurred to me that this is a cultural thing. I feel like I'll be watching my brother- and sister-in-law over dinner tomorrow, now, to see how they do it!
Old Dec 8th 2017, 7:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
It was very al dente!
But if it's in bits it can't be twirled up on the fork, so what's the poor man to do apart from use a spoon
Old Dec 8th 2017, 7:40 pm

Originally Posted by KK85
.... I really did think that I was polite and doing it 'right', while he was merely uncivilised ). ....
You were correct the first time.
.... It never would have occurred to me that this is a cultural thing. I feel like I'll be watching my brother- and sister-in-law over dinner tomorrow, now, to see how they do it!
The first time I met my wife's aunt, she asked me if I do "the knife and fork thing?". I looked blankly at her, and then at the then-future Mrs P for guidance. She assured me that I "do the knife and fork thing". I then had to ask what "the knife and fork thing" is?

Apparently being able to use a different piece of cutlery in each hand simultaneously is seen as some sort of superhuman achievement.

Given the reluctance of most Americans to deal with two of three different foot pedals requiring different movements simultaneously with doing different things with each hand simultaneously, and simultaneously with juggling the pedals with your feet, while not looking at what any of your limbs are doing, we should hardly be surprised!

Last edited by Pulaski; Dec 8th 2017 at 8:06 pm.
Old Dec 8th 2017, 7:44 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by Pica
But if it's in bits it can't be twirled up on the fork, so what's the poor man to do apart from use a spoon
My post was in jest btw

Actually my niece does this for her toddlers. Cuts up the spaghetti and they eat it with a spoon.

In our household we rarely eat spaghetti and prefer shaped pasta. The only time we use spaghetti is if I make an alfredo type sauce with asparagus and prosuitto <sp>
Old Dec 8th 2017, 7:48 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by KK85
This thread is such an eye-opener! I truly had no idea that there were 'American' or 'European' styles, so to speak, in which to handle cutlery. All's fair, of course - it's not a big deal, so long as nobody's eating with their mouth open. I did think my husband was a little uncouth in his manners! But I judge him a little less now (and myself a little more - I really did think that I was polite and doing it 'right', while he was merely uncivilised ).

It never would have occurred to me that this is a cultural thing. I feel like I'll be watching my brother- and sister-in-law over dinner tomorrow, now, to see how they do it!

Guess when you were visiting your hubby you were so enthralled with just being with him that you never watched his table manners
Old Dec 8th 2017, 8:03 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Why would you have the tines on your fork turned down if you wanted to carry anything on them? You English have a lot to answer for.
Edit: I assume an English farmer who uses pitchforks would know how to use one.

Last edited by caretaker; Dec 8th 2017 at 8:07 pm. Reason: la raison d'edit
Old Dec 8th 2017, 8:09 pm

Originally Posted by caretaker
Why would you have the tines on your fork turned down if you wanted to carry anything on them. ....
Have you ever tried to stab anything below a fork when the tines aren't pointing downwards?
Old Dec 8th 2017, 8:35 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

Carry and stab aren't the same thing. I'm eating right now, and I know what the hell I'm doing.

Last edited by caretaker; Dec 8th 2017 at 8:38 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.