Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Help with couth wife being uncouth at the dinner table

Help with couth wife being uncouth at the dinner table

Old Dec 7th 2017, 11:27 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help with couth wife being uncouth at the dinner table

Originally Posted by Octang Frye
HALP!

It's driving me nuts. I'm sure it's been done to death in Pet Peeves or TIO, but how can I convince my wife to use knife in dominant hand and fork in other hand, tines down?

She ignores her knife and does the cutting-with-the-side-of-the-fork, and then shovel fork tines up.

I guess I should be grateful she doesn't do the zig-zag/fork switch. I'm beside myself.

Any ideas how to get this lovely, elegant woman trained so she doesn't eat like a prospectin' miner from the San Francisco gold rush?
Could be worse. She could be the type of spouse that picks on inconsequential things and talks about training her partner, like a dog
Old Dec 7th 2017, 11:34 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Now Mrs P is vociferously against one-handed-eating, and complains even when I eat dishes with no cutting required such as pasta or Chinese takeaway, with a fork in my right hand.
I'm with you on this .... eating various meals with only a fork and I'll add cutting something with just the side of the fork instead of with a knife.

Tonight I made a meatloaf with quartered potatoes and carrots cut to bite size surrounding it. No knife required. Easy to cut the meatloaf with the side of the fork and use only one utensil for the entire meal

Of course, tines were up, not down.
Old Dec 7th 2017, 11:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

KK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond repute

Now Mrs P is vociferously against one-handed-eating, and complains even when I eat dishes with no cutting required such as pasta or Chinese takeaway, with a fork in my right hand.
Originally Posted by Rete
I'm with you on this .... eating various meals with only a fork and I'll add cutting something with just the side of the fork instead of with a knife.
Tonight I heated myself up a little bit of leftover cottage pie, and I ate it using a spoon.

And there I was, gauche enough to call my husband a shocking neanderthal...
Old Dec 7th 2017, 11:51 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Could be worse. She could be the type of spouse that picks on inconsequential things ....
Said as only a colonial could, that class and sophistication are "inconsequential"!
Old Dec 8th 2017, 12:16 am
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute

Said as only a colonial could, that class and sophistication are "inconsequential"!
It's crazy, huh? Standards are slipping around here. She's the concierge for heaven's sake!!
Old Dec 8th 2017, 12:43 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

HALP!
It's driving me nuts. I'm sure it's been done to death in Pet Peeves or TIO, but how can I convince my wife to use knife in dominant hand and fork in other hand, tines down?
She ignores her knife and does the cutting-with-the-side-of-the-fork, and then shovel fork tines up.
I guess I should be grateful she doesn't do the zig-zag/fork switch.
I'm with you 100% on this one . It does my head in. MrBEVS from Wolverhampton UK tries to get away with this at times but my beetling eyebrows soon stops him. Keep the utensils in the correct hand whilst eating and use them MrBEVS . You are no longer a toddler and should be able to use a knife and fork properly at the dinner table. If your hands get a little weary with this onerous task, put down both utensils and pause. It is unseemly to be pushing and stabbing your food around , tines up, peas or no peas, with the spare hand and arm waving about , clutching a glass or flopped in one's lap

Conversely though, he will use a knife and fork to cut up & eat spaghetti when he should be using a fork in the correct hand & a spoon if unable to twirl properly.

I'm beside myself.
You have my sympathy.
Old Dec 8th 2017, 1:31 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Could be worse. She could be the type of spouse that picks on inconsequential things and talks about training her partner, like a dog
Now it's legal here, come back and marry me ❤
Old Dec 8th 2017, 3:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

HALP!

I guess I should be grateful she doesn't do the zig-zag/fork switch. I'm beside myself.

Any ideas how to get this lovely, elegant woman trained so she doesn't eat like a prospectin' miner from the San Francisco gold rush?
Originally Posted by dc koop
Is she's American she eats like an American. Try to live with it
In the words of Yoda: 'There is no try, only do'!

There's nothing uncouth about the way she eats. She eats the way she was brought up, and presumably has an American accent to prove it! Deal with it. Tell your (Brit) friends and family to deal with it too!

After all, she could be doing something worse, like maybe calling her handbag a purse!
Old Dec 8th 2017, 4:19 am
BE Forum Addict

BenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond repute

On the contrary, take her on over the dinner table, because she'd only be holding one weapon to your two!
Guns for show, knives for....?
Old Dec 8th 2017, 10:55 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Now it's legal here, come back and marry me ❤
It'd be a great wedding!
Old Dec 8th 2017, 11:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Pica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
I'm with you 100% on this one . It does my head in. MrBEVS from Wolverhampton UK tries to get away with this at times but my beetling eyebrows soon stops him. Keep the utensils in the correct hand whilst eating and use them MrBEVS . You are no longer a toddler and should be able to use a knife and fork properly at the dinner table. If your hands get a little weary with this onerous task, put down both utensils and pause. It is unseemly to be pushing and stabbing your food around , tines up, peas or no peas, with the spare hand and arm waving about , clutching a glass or flopped in one's lap

Conversely though, he will use a knife and fork to cut up & eat spaghetti when he should be using a fork in the correct hand & a spoon if unable to twirl properly.

You have my sympathy.
A knife! for spaghetti- ye gods!
Old Dec 8th 2017, 1:52 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Does anyone actually give a **** about stupid shit like this? Other than irritating toffs and wannabees, of course.

If she keeps her mouth shut when she eats you're already way ahead. The switching hands method might be ridiculously inefficient but it's not like she's out squishing babies or running over pensioners or anything.
Old Dec 8th 2017, 3:02 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pica
A knife! for spaghetti- ye gods!
It was very al dente!
Old Dec 8th 2017, 4:13 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Old Dec 8th 2017, 4:24 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

That is why burgers are best, they can be held in the hands to eat, and the french fries can be picked up with the fingers. No utensils needed at all.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.