Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

The Grand Tour 12 Jan 2018 - Colorado in Jaguar cars

The Grand Tour 12 Jan 2018 - Colorado in Jaguar cars

Old Jan 13th 2018, 12:50 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Smile The Grand Tour 12 Jan 2018 - Colorado in Jaguar cars

Watching on Amazon Prime the latest edition of “The Grand Tour”.

They’re driving Jaguars in Colorado. I didn’t know that parts of the State are like the Grand Canyon - it is stunning.

I’ve told my husband that we should do a road trip there. However I’m not sure where “there” is? A cop car did have Mesa on the side of it I think.

CO residents, suggestions pretty please!
Old Jan 13th 2018, 12:58 am
BE Enthusiast

Maste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Grand Tour 12 Jan 2018 - Colorado in Jaguar cars

This is spoke about in the car thread!

I believe Benk maybe lives in CO, and might be able to help out.
Old Jan 13th 2018, 1:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Owen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond repute

Google Maps tells me Mesa is part of the Phoenix metro, in Arizona, where the Grand Canyon is located, and is the location of Phoenix airport. So maybe they started in Denver, and drove through either Utah or New Mexico to Arizona.

If so, I'd guess west through the Rockies, on to Moab (Arches and Canyonlands NP), SW to the Grand Canyon, then south via Sedona to Phoenix.

16+ hours of driving.

Last edited by Owen778; Jan 13th 2018 at 1:07 am.
Old Jan 13th 2018, 1:06 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Will watch it later but looks like they started in Grand Junction and headed south to Silverton.
Old Jan 13th 2018, 1:11 am
Account Closed

Oops much fancier Telluride. Where the millionaires have been forced out by the billionaires.
Old Jan 13th 2018, 5:03 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
Oops much fancier Telluride. Where the millionaires have been forced out by the billionaires.
Didn’t mention it in the skiing thread, but my Telluride skiing usually goes like: Leave Santa Fe around midnight, get to Telluride just ahead of lifts opening. Ski all day, jump in the car and keep going to either Gunnison or Crested Butte. Ski a few days there and maybe hit Telluride again on the way home. I’ve never yet paid for a night in Telluride.
Old Jan 13th 2018, 1:14 pm
Account Closed

I have now watched it and actually did not think they went to the most spectacular areas, could have headed south from Montrose. Telluride area is pretty but not spectacular, I remember once having to divert through Telluride going back to Durango, only pass I could get over with my Summer tyres, in early October.

Looks like they filmed in two periods.
Old Jan 13th 2018, 2:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

joto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond repute

It could be the Grand Canyon of the Gunnison. DS and DIL sometimes go camping and hiking there, and they say it's beautiful.
Old Jan 14th 2018, 4:57 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by joto
It could be the Grand Canyon of the Gunnison. DS and DIL sometimes go camping and hiking there, and they say it's beautiful.
Black Canyon?

It is but very different to the scenery shown.
Old Jan 14th 2018, 6:19 am
Boomshacalaca!!

Tarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmum
Seems they were driving along Hwy 141 from Grand Junction (Mesa County) and turned off onto Hwy 145 and end up in Telluride.
There are many, many scenic drives in the high country!

Originally Posted by Boiler
.... and where Tom Cruise can't sell his $59M home.
Old Jan 14th 2018, 12:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

I don't own a Jaguar but there are many great scenic routes to travel along in Colorado. The Million Dollar Highway (Route 550) is very scenic as long as at certain points you don't look down or realize there is no guard rail stopping you falling of the edge.
The whole of the US and Canada have some pretty spectacular routes to drive some that are very short and some longer. I have been lucky to dive along quite a few and would do some routes 5 or 6 times over.

In Canada the Cabot Trail Cape Breton Island is one of the standouts along with the Seat to Sky highway in BC, Icefields Parkway in Alberta, Fundy Coastal Drive New Brunswick, St Lawrence Route Quebec, Highway 60 Algonquin Park Ontario.

Still looking to find one in Manitoba and Saskatchewan

The Beartooth Pass never bores me or the 16A highway in South Dakota and a few others. I have still a few to drive health permitting and finances

Yes Europe and a few other countries have theirs as well but the M6 and M1 and M25 shouldn't be included
Old Jan 15th 2018, 1:12 am
I approved this message

Hiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Owen778
Google Maps tells me Mesa is part of the Phoenix metro, in Arizona, where the Grand Canyon is located, and is the location of Phoenix airport. So maybe they started in Denver, and drove through either Utah or New Mexico to Arizona.

If so, I'd guess west through the Rockies, on to Moab (Arches and Canyonlands NP), SW to the Grand Canyon, then south via Sedona to Phoenix.

16+ hours of driving.
No, they were nowhere near Mesa Az. This is Mesa County in western Colorado. I lived in Gunnison and Telluride years ago when I was a geologist. The San Juans and surrounding area (called the Uncompahgre Plateau) are an incredible landscape. Telluride is alpine and forested while just down valley it's a typical southwestern desert with sagebrush, mesas and sandstone cliffs. It looks like they started in Grand Junction and followed the Dolores river to Telluride, a drive I'm very familiar with. It was great to see my old stomping ground again.

Western Colorado is far too often overlooked. It's a bit remote and difficult to get to, but if you make the effort to get there the riches on display are hard to equal. The Black Canyon of the Gunnison is one of the crown jewels of the National Park Service. Grand Junction and Durango both have some of the best mountain biking and hiking in the country. Crested Butte is beautiful. Ouray is utterly spectacular. The Dolores River is widely regarded as one of the best white water rafting rivers in the world. I loved it out there.
Old Jan 16th 2018, 4:38 pm
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute

Grand Junction has a gorgeous gorge on the approach. You also have Royal Gorge. And then don't forget to look up the Great Sand Dunes national park.

Plus you can get high as f***.
Old Jan 16th 2018, 8:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

BenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond repute

Late to the party on this one!

US-36 out of Boulder, through Lyons and up to Estes Park is one of my favorite drives. We go up there quite often and I'm still not bored of the drive. Can be a bit lame if you get stuck behind an RV as there's only a couple of sections that split into two lanes (only for about half a mile each one) but so far that's my favorite drive here.
Old Jan 17th 2018, 10:49 am
Account Closed

I always liked going over Wolf Greek in the Miata, remember an interesting tussle with a Subaru.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.