Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Grand Prairie woman gets 8 years for illegally voting twice

Grand Prairie woman gets 8 years for illegally voting twice

Old Feb 12th 2017, 11:21 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Grand Prairie woman gets 8 years for illegally voting twice

I voted old school, no machines available to us out of country residents. Ballot is sent via email, print it, fill it out, print an oath sheet that requires a signature, place into an envelope and mail.

Each sheet of the ballot has numerical codes of some sort, but the codes on the signature sheet don't match, although they do send you an email saying your ballot is all good and was accepted and will be counted, so up until some point they certainly do know who's ballot it is.

(I've never voted in person, so no clue how it's done, but the oversea's ballot is more high tech now, used to be they mailed a crappy zerox copy that someone cut and pasted together by hand.)
Old Feb 13th 2017, 2:24 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

At least as a USC living in Canada, Jsmith, you can still cast a vote in a US election. For Canadians living in the US, you aren't allowed a vote in a Canadian election. It's "You don't live here, who wants to hear your opinions, but pay your taxes." So much for good ole Canada.
Old Feb 13th 2017, 2:36 am
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
At least as a USC living in Canada, Jsmith, you can still cast a vote in a US election. For Canadians living in the US, you aren't allowed a vote in a Canadian election. It's "You don't live here, who wants to hear your opinions, but pay your taxes." So much for good ole Canada.
Do Canadians have to pay tax on worldwide income too? I didnt know that.
Old Feb 13th 2017, 2:42 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kimilseung
https://travel.gc.ca/travelling/living-abroad/taxation
Old Feb 13th 2017, 4:28 am
Forum Regular

Asg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond repute

Next time look closely. Both states have you sign on directly opposite the page that has your information on it and your signature.

They don't check it at the polling station in California (though in theory they could afterwards), so someone could vote illegally by impersonating a listed voter. But he'd have to know that he isn't voting, otherwise the second person would find the name crossed off
I doubt if it happens a lot.

As for not being able to tell who you voted for, that is a crock of sh&t. In our NY district you use to have a machine that you voted on behind a closed curtain. When you signed in you were given a number, the poll worker then placed that number into the machine, you closed the curtain and voted. All they need to do is look up the number and they can tell who voted and how.

MS is not much different. You are given a code, go to the computer screen, place in the code and then vote.
They should switch to a system like in CA to ensure secrecy. Specially with recent reports of hacking, and the possibility that someone could reveal how people have voted.

Last edited by Asg123; Feb 13th 2017 at 4:31 am.
Old Feb 13th 2017, 12:13 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kimilseung
No, hubby always choose to pay his US taxes in the US so his accountant never added his US income to the Canadian tax return. But he had to add the Canadian income to the US tax return.
Old Feb 13th 2017, 3:18 pm

thinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond repute

As for not being able to tell who you voted for, that is a crock of sh&t. In our NY district you use to have a machine that you voted on behind a closed curtain. When you signed in you were given a number, the poll worker then placed that number into the machine, you closed the curtain and voted. All they need to do is look up the number and they can tell who voted and how.
Was that number a 4 or 5 digit PIN code or a longer number? Texas uses a few different types of electronic ballot machines. Where I vote we are given an "Access Code" to allow a person to cast a single vote. The access code does not identify the voter in any way and can not be linked to the voter. It just prevents someone from voting multiple times whilst in the both.
In Texas, using an Open Records Request, you can get a list of everyone that voted, but not for who they voted.
Old Feb 13th 2017, 4:10 pm
Concierge

Quite honestly, I don't recall the length of the number/code. You have only their word that that is what they are using that number for. Knowing the US Government, there are multiple uses for the code/number that the public is not privy to.
Old Feb 13th 2017, 5:17 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Next time look closely. Both states have you sign on directly opposite the page that has your information on it and your signature.

MS is not much different. You are given a code, go to the computer screen, place in the code and then vote.
NY retired those machines years ago. They didn't come up to the standard required by the post 2000 legislation. You now have a paper ballot that you feed into a scanner.
Old Feb 13th 2017, 5:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

In our voting district in Yonkers New York and here in Hattiesburg MS, when we go in to vote you give your name and then you have to sign the book. Your signature is checked against the signature you used when you registered to vote. So are you telling me that both these states are using unlawful practices?
Also, when my wife registered to vote in NYS, she was able to do so online, but it was made clear that the first time she went to vote she had to bring ID and proof of citizenship. Having done that the first time, she won't need to do that again so long as we stay in NYS.
Old Feb 13th 2017, 11:42 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by robin1234
NY retired those machines years ago. They didn't come up to the standard required by the post 2000 legislation. You now have a paper ballot that you feed into a scanner.
That is correct. The last election I voted in while a resident of NYS was the idiots paper ballot.
Old Feb 13th 2017, 11:44 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by rpjs
Also, when my wife registered to vote in NYS, she was able to do so online, but it was made clear that the first time she went to vote she had to bring ID and proof of citizenship. Having done that the first time, she won't need to do that again so long as we stay in NYS.
Which is exactly what I had to do 50 years ago when I was 18 and first voted. Try explaining a birth certificate issued by the Department of State for a person born in Germany but is a US Citizen. Luckily there was a higher up who knew about the DOS birth certificates of a citizen born abroad.
Old Feb 14th 2017, 12:30 am
Forum Regular

jkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond repute

^^^^^
I've got one of those too, and it's one of the reasons I've always kept my U.S. passport valid my entire adult life. A few years, maybe 10, when I went to renew my Texas drivers license, they had upgraded their computer system to start checking for legal presence. Apparently my info didn't include that and the clerk asked for my birth certificate. Of course I don't walk around with that. Came back with my U.S. passport and no problems. Texas just started issuing real id compliant drivers licenses in Oct, so it wouldn't shock me if the next time I renew I'll need to prove citizenship again.
Old Feb 14th 2017, 8:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

hobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond repute

The lady claims, truthfully or otherwise, that she basically didn't know the difference between the rights of a LPR and a USC.

Frankly, it's in the realms of possibility.

I'd hazard a guess most born and raised Americans have no idea what the difference is.
Old Feb 14th 2017, 9:05 pm
Forum Regular

jkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond repute

I'd guess nearly 100% of Americans wouldn't know the difference between a U.S. citizen and a U.S. national. If you're the former then you're both, if you're the latter you're only a national. Scroll halfway down to Nationals. They also can't vote in the U.S..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United...ationality_law

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.