Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Grand Prairie woman gets 8 years for illegally voting twice

Grand Prairie woman gets 8 years for illegally voting twice

Old Feb 12th 2017, 7:26 am
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Grand Prairie woman gets 8 years for illegally voting twice

Originally Posted by tom169
I know a few examples of people registering and not voting that party.

Eventually when I become a US citizen I can't see myself as registering for a specific party. I really don't like how these things are publicly listed here.
A FEW examples? It's a very common phenomenon in northern New York. In my county, two thirds of people are registered republicans, but Obama won in both of his elections, also most village and town elections are won by democrats. It's a historical thing - people adhere to the party of Lincoln.
Old Feb 12th 2017, 11:40 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
If there is no way of knowing who she voted for, is there also no way of knowing for certain that she actually voted? Is a person turns up to vote, and accepts a ballot paper to vote, there would still be no proof that they actually voted would there?
Ballot papers are numbered and have a bar code sticker, which is logged against your name when the paper is handed to you, so in theory at least, the vote could be traced and examined. I do not know if that is possible in practice, or even legal.

My experience of US elections is confined to NC.
.... Eventually when I become a US citizen I can't see myself as registering for a specific party. I really don't like how these things are publicly listed here.
I originally registered as a Republican, but I soon decided it was more useful to register as an independent here in NC. The rules are different in different states.

Last edited by Pulaski; Feb 12th 2017 at 11:45 am.
Old Feb 12th 2017, 2:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
A FEW examples? It's a very common phenomenon in northern New York. In my county, two thirds of people are registered republicans, but Obama won in both of his elections, also most village and town elections are won by democrats. It's a historical thing - people adhere to the party of Lincoln.
A few examples was in reference to people I actually know in person.
Old Feb 12th 2017, 3:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

steveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Ballot papers are numbered and have a bar code sticker, which is logged against your name when the paper is handed to you, so in theory at least, the vote could be traced and examined. I do not know if that is possible in practice, or even legal.
Its the same in the UK. You register to vote, you get a card sent before the election with your number on it, which you use to verify your identity at the polling station. I don't understand what's wrong with indentifying votes, I do understand what's wrong with identifying votes. I'm all in favour of making sure the ballots are all valid.
Old Feb 12th 2017, 3:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steveq
Its the same in the UK. You register to vote, you get a card sent before the election with your number on it, which you use to verify your identity at the polling station. I don't understand what's wrong with indentifying votes, I do understand what's wrong with identifying votes. I'm all in favour of making sure the ballots are all valid.
That's incorrect. If voting in person no ID is required - simply name and street is sufficient.

The card sent out says where to vote and in fact states that it isn't required.
Old Feb 12th 2017, 3:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

steveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond repute

That's incorrect. If voting in person no ID is required - simply name and street is sufficient.

The card sent out says where to vote and in fact states that it isn't required.
True, but you have to be on the electoral roll.
Old Feb 12th 2017, 4:40 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

A few examples was in reference to people I actually know in person.
Yes, sorry, after I posted I realised I worded it a bit inappropriately...
Old Feb 12th 2017, 6:26 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steveq
True, but you have to be on the electoral roll.
No, you have to know the name and address of someone on the electoral roll.

Last edited by Pulaski; Feb 12th 2017 at 6:29 pm.
Old Feb 12th 2017, 7:21 pm
Banned

albanks2542 is an unknown quantity at this point

Would a large enough amount of illegal voters voting for trump be enough to cause a rerun of the election or for Clinton to be declared the winner? And if so this begs the question of why trump is banging on about this issue. He could talk himself out of office if he is not careful.
Old Feb 12th 2017, 7:26 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

I suppose in theory you could find out who voted and who were not eligible to, how you would find out who they voted for is another matter.

As Mr P mentioned the requirements to vote are so low I do not know in practice how you could be sure who voted who was not entitled to.

Does strike me as odd it is a lot easier to vote than buy a beer.
Old Feb 12th 2017, 9:59 pm
Forum Regular

Asg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond repute

My experience of US elections is confined to NC.
Ballot papers are not logged against your name in California. You get handed a counterfoil, so the voter may be able to check, but not the authorities. I don't know what other states do, but they should do the same, otherwise the authorities could know how each person voted.
Old Feb 12th 2017, 10:37 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

This woman had her collar felt under Obama.
Old Feb 12th 2017, 10:39 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

But the courts have ruled multiple times that attempting to verify that people are who they, literally, say they are (walk in say "I am Adrian Smith of 22 Acacia Ave" and you will be handed a voting paper, no questions asked, so long as that name matches that address) and that they have a right to vote, is unlawful.
In our voting district in Yonkers New York and here in Hattiesburg MS, when we go in to vote you give your name and then you have to sign the book. Your signature is checked against the signature you used when you registered to vote. So are you telling me that both these states are using unlawful practices?
Old Feb 12th 2017, 10:42 pm

Originally Posted by Rete
In our voting district in Yonkers New York and here in Hattiesburg MS, when we go in to vote you give your name and then you have to sign the book. Your signature is checked against the signature you used when you registered to vote. So are you telling me that both these states are using unlawful practices?
I have to sign in NC, but I don't know if the signature is checked.
Old Feb 12th 2017, 10:54 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

I have to sign in NC, but I don't know if the signature is checked.
Next time look closely. Both states have you sign on directly opposite the page that has your information on it and your signature.

As for not being able to tell who you voted for, that is a crock of sh&t. In our NY district you use to have a machine that you voted on behind a closed curtain. When you signed in you were given a number, the poll worker then placed that number into the machine, you closed the curtain and voted. All they need to do is look up the number and they can tell who voted and how.

MS is not much different. You are given a code, go to the computer screen, place in the code and then vote.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.