Got service?

Old Dec 19th 2017, 1:10 am
Just Joined

Gemmo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Got service?

Noticing many differences between UK and US service all around, but mostly in diners and such. When I go to the supermarket I have to fight with the staff to bag my own things - very used to doing this from home. Staff often get offended when I bag my own shopping, even if I say I'd prefer to bag my own items. Any way of getting around this without appearing rude?
Bagging by the staff usually results in using 10x more bags than needed.. which gets my goat.
Old Dec 19th 2017, 1:59 am
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Got service?

Acquire some bags for life and give them to the cashier to use. That is the best of both worlds IMO.
Old Dec 19th 2017, 2:16 am
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gemmo
Noticing many differences between UK and US service all around, but mostly in diners and such. When I go to the supermarket I have to fight with the staff to bag my own things - very used to doing this from home. Staff often get offended when I bag my own shopping, even if I say I'd prefer to bag my own items. Any way of getting around this without appearing rude?
Bagging by the staff usually results in using 10x more bags than needed.. which gets my goat.
Just say “Would you be kind enough to fit the items into as few bags as possible? Thanks!”

Or as has been mentioned, take reusable bags to the store.
Old Dec 19th 2017, 2:21 am
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Another option is self checkout in many large stores.
Old Dec 19th 2017, 2:58 am
Just Joined

Gemmo is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks everyone, bags for life.. good idea.
Old Dec 19th 2017, 11:33 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Find a supermarket where they do it better than you do.

One chain here is poor to average while another chain is very good. One particular store within the very good chain has a few world class packers. They survey your stuff, look at what reusable bags you have and they must have a computer for a brain because everything is such a good fit with no wasted space and no inappropriate mixing.
Old Dec 19th 2017, 12:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Maste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond repute

The bagging bugs me - one bag for a heavy vegetable only anyone? We started using self checkout, or my girlfriend will wait for the stuff whilst I go and stand away from the atrocious bagging! lol
Old Dec 19th 2017, 12:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

robtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond repute

We brought all our Uk Bags over! Sometimes, usually Walmart, they ignore the request and my wife will un-bag and re-bag.

Publix makes me chuckle - having the cashier and the bagger, who will ask us if we need help getting the two or three bags to the car. It's quaint, until you are in a queue of 4 people and they don't use the second member of staff to open another aisle.
Old Dec 19th 2017, 1:57 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

When I lived in Westchester County, NY, my favorite grocery store was Stop & Shop. They hire people with disabilities to be baggers. Yes, they can be wasteful when it comes to packaging too few items in a plastic bag. However, it gives a job to someone with Down's who might not be able to find employment elsewhere and the plastic bags can be brought back to the shop on the next visit and put in the bin where they will be sent off to be recycled.

Even if you don't have a store that hires those with disabilities as baggers, they should have an area where you can return those pesky plastic bags.

I use reusable bags when I shop. Since they aren't hanging on the rack for the cashier to bag, I get to bag myself.

If I forget the bags, I can keep an eye on the register and check the scanned prices of items which many things are wrong so I can catch these errors.

Last edited by Rete; Dec 19th 2017 at 2:10 pm.
Old Dec 19th 2017, 2:09 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Maste
The bagging bugs me - one bag for a heavy vegetable only anyone? We started using self checkout, or my girlfriend will wait for the stuff whilst I go and stand away from the atrocious bagging! lol
The baggers are often instructed not to make the bags too heavy, which is why you should tell them your preference. I’m at the opposite end of the spectrum— after an injury a few years ago I can only lift the lightest of bags out of the cart. Why don’t folks just say what they want, rather than doing a slow burn!
Old Dec 19th 2017, 2:53 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Self checkout solved it for me.
Old Dec 19th 2017, 3:08 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

If that's all you have got to worry about in life, you are lucky.
Old Dec 19th 2017, 3:11 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lansbury
If that's all you have got to worry about in life, you are lucky.
Old Dec 19th 2017, 4:42 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gemmo
Thanks everyone, bags for life.. good idea.
Here in California, plastic bags are illegal, and paper bags are 10¢ each. So most people use reusable bags.

It is OK to give directions to the baggers. We do that all the time.

Let's not get into self-service gasoline. In Oregon and New Jersey it is illegal. In Monroe County, New York, iself-service gasoline requires the customer to hold the nozzle while pumping.

Last edited by S Folinsky; Dec 19th 2017 at 4:46 pm.
Old Dec 19th 2017, 6:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Anian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond repute

If you want your bags packed quickly and well, choose a checkout with a young man. If you want it done slowly where they put refrigerated things with shampoo, then an old woman is your best bet. Every time I put it on the conveyor in order and they mix it up, making it a hassle to unpack.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.