Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

The Good Ol' Days. :(

The Good Ol' Days. :(

Old Apr 12th 2017, 8:19 pm
Banned

dc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Good Ol' Days. :(

Originally Posted by Leslie
I bet you think this thread is about you? Don't you? Don't you?
You're a little tardy on your witticism this time dear. Lansbury got that one in already
Old Apr 12th 2017, 8:22 pm
Banned

dc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
You seem to be taking an unhealthy interest in my daily habits and rituals. I already told you you're not my type, it's about time you took the hint.
But I j-j-j-just cant take rejection. Would flowers by Inter-flora help ?
Old Apr 12th 2017, 8:23 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dc koop
But I j-j-j-just cant take rejection.
That strikes me as more of a 'you' problem, than a 'me' problem.

Would flowers by Inter-flora help ?
I don't know, can I put them in my washing machine?
Old Apr 12th 2017, 11:36 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

You're a little tardy on your witticism this time dear. Lansbury got that one in already
I know. I was just paying homage to his fabulous post.

OBVIOUSLY.
Old Apr 13th 2017, 12:54 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
I like the idea of an odometer on a fridge, so you can really see how much (or how little) of a fat bastard you are
That's what mirrors and photos are for.
Old Apr 13th 2017, 1:10 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

What about another nice thread about chainmaille.

That was really interesting
Old Apr 13th 2017, 4:37 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Leslie
I know. I was just paying homage to his fabulous post.

OBVIOUSLY.
You mean someone's post actually met with your approval ?
Old Apr 13th 2017, 5:32 am
Banned

Speaking of the good old days and from one who is completely out of touch do people in Britain still hang their washing to dry outside or have dryers fibally done away with that?

As a pimply faced pre-pubescent kid, myself and other bored kids in the neighbourhood used to get a laugh now and then seeing fat old Mrs Foster's drawers waving to and fro from a clothes line. A girlfriend used to very aptly describe such items as passion killers.

I've never seen washing hanging on a line in my part of the world in the 40 plus years I've lived here

Last edited by dc koop; Apr 13th 2017 at 5:50 am.
Old Apr 13th 2017, 12:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Speaking of the good old days and from one who is completely out of touch do people in Britain still hang their washing to dry outside or have dryers fibally done away with that?

As a pimply faced pre-pubescent kid, myself and other bored kids in the neighbourhood used to get a laugh now and then seeing fat old Mrs Foster's drawers waving to and fro from a clothes line. A girlfriend used to very aptly describe such items as passion killers.

I've never seen washing hanging on a line in my part of the world in the 40 plus years I've lived here
In the UK, yes. My mother still hangs her washing. It's free and clothes dry nice when done naturally.

At least in Charlotte I believe there is an ordinance that prohibits it.

I know for sure that at least my new HOA has a rule against it.
Old Apr 13th 2017, 12:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

yellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, and no. It was a lovely weekend just gone and I got all my bedding and towels dry on the line. It was free, ecologically sound and the laundry is soft and smells lovely.

Many UK kitchens are not big enough for all three of a washing machine, dishwasher and a tumble dryer, and the latter is the one left out most often. They are not unusual for people with room and/or families, but expensive to run. I owned a combination washer/dryer once, but only used it for bedding or items that needed fluffing up, eg puffa jackets, as the machine had to dry it's own insides before drying the items. I found it expensive and inefficient, but sometimes they are the best option in a house with no garden or a flat, unless you want laundry drying everywhere and the attendant damp/condensation issues.
Old Apr 13th 2017, 12:55 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

It's the other way around for us. We always hang our laundry outside to dry up here in rural New York if the weather permits, and looking around, everyone else does too. Why waste the electricity on the tumble dryer unless there's no choice? But in England we have a second floor flat, so we hang everything up inside to dry. (No tumble dryer, there's really no room for one.) Fortunately, the air in the flat is so dry everything dries in a short time including bedding and towels.
Old Apr 13th 2017, 2:14 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
That's what mirrors and photos are for.
Preaching to the choir

Yes, all the time. My mum had a dryer because it came with the house she bought (in the bloody shed of all places ) but she never used it. When I was there for an extended period while she was in the hospital I had to do a load because I only took 10 days' worth of clothes with me and I air dried them on the line. I mean, it takes ages for them to dry, but they smelt bloody lovely when I took them in.

See, that's why you get the triangular 'whirlygig' type drying lines, so you can hang your underwear on the inside and hid them behind larger items.

Tom had that one covered. HOA rules often do not allow laundry to be dried outside, but I have seen it in areas not covered by them on occasion.

Though, around here, it's pretty humid out during the summer, which would make line drying a bit of a pain in the arse.
Old Apr 13th 2017, 2:21 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

You mean someone's post actually met with your approval ?
Yes. Other than a few petulant windbags, I enjoy the majority of the posts (and those who post them) on BE.
Old Apr 13th 2017, 4:03 pm
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by yellowroom
It was a lovely weekend just gone and I got all my bedding and towels dry on the line. It was free, ecologically sound and the laundry is soft and smells lovely.
Originally Posted by robin1234
We always hang our laundry outside to dry up here in rural New York if the weather permits, and looking around, everyone else does too. Why waste the electricity on the tumble dryer unless there's no choice?
Me three! (Especially bed linens!!!)

Even though I live in New England, I hang my laundry outside on my clothesline every chance I get...which allowing for inclement weather works out to be around 8 months of the year. I far prefer doing this to using my clothes dryer.

Last edited by WEBlue; Apr 13th 2017 at 4:25 pm.
Old Apr 13th 2017, 5:43 pm
Banned

We're not allowed to where I live. City Ordinance. Probably under the same Ordinance that doesn't allow vehicles to be parked on the front lawn at any time or parked in the street between 2 AM and 4 AM.

A few sheets of Bounce thrown in the dryer with the clothes help them come out less wrinkled but probably no real substitute to hanging them outside.

Pity the cops don't come around here often enough to nab the speeders up and down the street

Last edited by dc koop; Apr 13th 2017 at 6:35 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.