Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

The good/bad/plain ugly? - Austin, TX

The good/bad/plain ugly? - Austin, TX

Old Jun 12th 2017, 12:00 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The good/bad/plain ugly? - Austin, TX

Originally Posted by dc koop
The thing about Austin is the plain part. Miles of plains around. Not even a hill in sight

I think you are confused.

If you had said that about my neck of the woods it would be true, but Austin

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise

what??

If you go east, then yes it's flatish, reminds me somewhat of France with small hills and valleys.

The Balcones Fault divides the flattish east from the west which is really hilly... called Texas Hill Country for a reason.

Where I live is really full of steep hills and canyons.

The only hill we have is the huge landfill about 10 miles from us!!!
Old Jun 12th 2017, 4:43 pm
Forum Regular

jkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond repute

Austin is a liberal city in a fairly conservative state. It is a great place to live. Traffic is very bad. Austin basically didn't build any highways from the 70's till the early 2000's, while the population grew like crazy. The tech, semiconductor, industry is very cyclical. Boom... bust and the housing market prices tend to follow. And petitefrancaise, that's why the legislature is only allowed to meet every other year! They are wacky sometimes.
Old Jun 12th 2017, 4:50 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jkeller
Austin is a liberal city in a fairly conservative state. It is a great place to live. Traffic is very bad. Austin basically didn't build any highways from the 70's till the early 2000's, while the population grew like crazy. The tech, semiconductor, industry is very cyclical. Boom... bust and the housing market prices tend to follow. And petitefrancaise, that's why the legislature is only allowed to meet every other year! They are wacky sometimes.
Hi! Are you in Austin too? we should get a meet up sorted.

Traffic is pretty bad at rush hour but I'm not convinced it's worse than most other cities. Houston is appalling for example, much worse. The Mopac express lanes will help when they finally open them all.

Semiconductor industry is very cyclical (my oh works in this area) but from what I've seen Austin now has a much more diverse tech industry base. Facebook and Google have sales offices, Apple huge research and customer support, Dell, of course and Samsung and then all the other slightly smaller companies that have been around a while.
Did you see SB8 is waiting for Governer's signature? What a bunch of tossers.
Old Jun 12th 2017, 5:05 pm
Forum Regular

jkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond repute

Alamo City now, used to work at an AMD chip plant. It closed in the early 2000's along with several others in Austin. The reason I got out of semi, just a really tough industry. And sb8, just the Southern Baptist influence. It's the reason that 194 of 254 Tx counties are dry or partially dry(alcohol). It won't pass.