Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

The good/bad/plain ugly? - Austin, TX

The good/bad/plain ugly? - Austin, TX

Old Jun 11th 2017, 8:10 pm
Forum Regular

jellybean_17 has a reputation beyond reputejellybean_17 has a reputation beyond reputejellybean_17 has a reputation beyond reputejellybean_17 has a reputation beyond reputejellybean_17 has a reputation beyond reputejellybean_17 has a reputation beyond reputejellybean_17 has a reputation beyond reputejellybean_17 has a reputation beyond reputejellybean_17 has a reputation beyond reputejellybean_17 has a reputation beyond reputejellybean_17 has a reputation beyond repute
Default The good/bad/plain ugly? - Austin, TX

Hey everyone,

The husband wants to move to Austin, Texas (currently in north Florida) because it will suit business related issues much better. We had originally planned to live in San Fran but lets face it the cost of living is super high! So for the tech world/marketing minded people etc Austin is looking a great option on paper.

So for the many expats living in this neck of the woods please could you hit me with your good/bad/ugly points for Austin? I have been researching, but what I have found has been so mixed We will be visiting at the end of this month after family head back to the UK. Hopefully this post will flag up some areas that might suit.

Us & what we need - We have an 8 year old daughter who will be in 4th grade next school term. We have a dog. We will in the long term be looking to purchase a home with acreage to keep horses at home. Right now we will need to rent - this could be a home with room for horses or the usual residential style home. From what I have read tech areas tend to be north?? Husband can work from home initially (6 months approx) more than visiting an office (he plans to be tech area) so commute needs are not as important for a rental area.

Any advice/info would be greatly appreciated.
Old Jun 11th 2017, 8:23 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The good/bad/plain ugly? - Austin, TX

Look for posts by petitefrancaise, who is located in Austin.
Old Jun 11th 2017, 8:32 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Well if you want land for horses, you won't be anywhere near downtown/suburban Austin.

Dripping Springs /Georgetown/round rock (perhaps)

Zillow has rental listings.

You need to be careful about school districts - we have some really great schools but very location dependant.

I like Austin generally but it's taken me a while to adjust to Texas heat.
Think about what sports stuff you like to do and try to live close to where you can do it.

Talahouse has started writing a blog which I think is pretty spot on in describing our lives here... she lives around the corner from me.
https://walestoaustin.wordpress.com/...ross-the-pond/
Old Jun 11th 2017, 8:38 pm
Forum Regular

jellybean_17 has a reputation beyond reputejellybean_17 has a reputation beyond reputejellybean_17 has a reputation beyond reputejellybean_17 has a reputation beyond reputejellybean_17 has a reputation beyond reputejellybean_17 has a reputation beyond reputejellybean_17 has a reputation beyond reputejellybean_17 has a reputation beyond reputejellybean_17 has a reputation beyond reputejellybean_17 has a reputation beyond reputejellybean_17 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
Look for posts by petitefrancaise, who is located in Austin.
Thank you I have stalked petitefrancaise posts lol and they have been very helpful. I guess i'm just looking for maybe those who are hiding a loathing for Austin? Apart from traffic issues and its hot, there doesn't seem to be anymore nitty gritty kind of info.

Also if you head out of Austin to the surrounding areas - is it like a whole new world? Kind of an there's Austin then there's Texas? I think that is my main fear, we find Austin to be great but decide to buy a place a little further out so we can get the land etc and find its crazy different! Hope that makes sense and doesn't sound too overdramatic I am known as the one who says 'lets just go for it', dives in then regrets it later!
Old Jun 11th 2017, 8:43 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
Well if you want land for horses, you won't be anywhere near downtown/suburban Austin.

Dripping Springs /Georgetown/round rock (perhaps)

Zillow has rental listings.

You need to be careful about school districts - we have some really great schools but very location dependant.

I like Austin generally but it's taken me a while to adjust to Texas heat.
Think about what sports stuff you like to do and try to live close to where you can do it.

Talahouse has started writing a blog which I think is pretty spot on in describing our lives here... she lives around the corner from me.
https://walestoaustin.wordpress.com/...ross-the-pond/
Thank you I will look into those areas and see what I can find. I read the blog and it swayed me for Austin...then I read others and wasn't so sure

Would you mind saying any (if there are any) things that really grate on you about Austin/Texas? Things maybe you didn't consider before moving? Then what you absolutely love? Those things you never really know until you actually live somewhere....I can keep them in mind then when we visit
Old Jun 11th 2017, 8:52 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

I hate the heat and have done all I can to mitigate the effect it has on my life.

I row/exercise at dawn during the summer. I have a pool in the garden which is a complete luxury but for me a necessity or I'd be killing people.

I won't drive when it's raining because the drivers have no idea of how to drive safely in the rain.

Austin is not like the rest of Texas. I live in a nice north/west suburb full of immigrant tech workers from all over the world - our local schools are great and very multicultural. There's lots going on and from what I've seen people are very easy going and liberal with a few exceptions. I'm not sure that it's like this when you go a bit further out.

The absolute bullshit coming out of the Texas lawmakers really pisses me off. Austinites are good about demonstrating at the Capitol though.
Old Jun 11th 2017, 11:38 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Whats an average temp in summer for Austin?

Is it Phoenix like hot with lots of 100+ days or more 90 degree hot?
Old Jun 12th 2017, 12:27 am
Austin. TX.

Originally Posted by Jsmth321

I don't know. It's effing hot. Once it gets above 95F I don't want to know.
Old Jun 12th 2017, 12:45 am
Forum Regular

Britexmom has a reputation beyond reputeBritexmom has a reputation beyond reputeBritexmom has a reputation beyond reputeBritexmom has a reputation beyond reputeBritexmom has a reputation beyond reputeBritexmom has a reputation beyond reputeBritexmom has a reputation beyond reputeBritexmom has a reputation beyond reputeBritexmom has a reputation beyond reputeBritexmom has a reputation beyond reputeBritexmom has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321

This week has been rather cool for early June with low 90's daytime and mid 70's at night....but it's not just the heat of Texas but the humidity ( Arizona is a dry heat) that makes it hard to bear. We have heat indexes of 105+ and you are just dripping wet and there is no relief.
You just adjust your schedule to work around the heat, most outside activities will be done early morning or when the sun goes down.
Old Jun 12th 2017, 12:55 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
I hate the heat and have done all I can to mitigate the effect it has on my life.

I row/exercise at dawn during the summer. I have a pool in the garden which is a complete luxury but for me a necessity or I'd be killing people.

I won't drive when it's raining because the drivers have no idea of how to drive safely in the rain.

Austin is not like the rest of Texas. I live in a nice north/west suburb full of immigrant tech workers from all over the world - our local schools are great and very multicultural. There's lots going on and from what I've seen people are very easy going and liberal with a few exceptions. I'm not sure that it's like this when you go a bit further out.

The absolute bullshit coming out of the Texas lawmakers really pisses me off. Austinites are good about demonstrating at the Capitol though.
I think we are on the same page here I run and horse ride - its hot here plenty of the time (probably a different heat though) so we've been trying to work around the weather too. I agree on the pool requirement, definitely on my list too! Driving wise Floridians just can't drive full stop lol! Apologies to any I may upset there but its true

I would be lying if I said the gun happy culture (I know the whole US loves their guns too) and lawmaking doesn't concern me. I would hate to not feel safe.
Old Jun 12th 2017, 12:58 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Britexmom
This week has been rather cool for early June with low 90's daytime and mid 70's at night....but it's not just the heat of Texas but the humidity ( Arizona is a dry heat) that makes it hard to bear. We have heat indexes of 105+ and you are just dripping wet and there is no relief.
You just adjust your schedule to work around the heat, most outside activities will be done early morning or when the sun goes down.
This sounds maybe similar to Florida when its hot then, very humid!

Are the bugs an issue? Lots of mosquito type ones? Just wondering if the horses will suffer them as much there as they would here. There are some horrid deer fly which are particularly nasty for them here.
Old Jun 12th 2017, 3:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

petitefrancaise , do you ever get used to the TX politics?
Old Jun 12th 2017, 4:08 am
Austin. TX.

Originally Posted by mrken30
petitefrancaise , do you ever get used to the TX politics?
"The absolute bullshit coming out of the Texas lawmakers really pisses me off. Austinites are good about demonstrating at the Capitol though."

does it sound like it???????????????
Old Jun 12th 2017, 4:53 am
Banned

dc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond repute

The thing about Austin is the plain part. Miles of plains around. Not even a hill in sight
Old Jun 12th 2017, 5:07 am
Austin. TX.

Originally Posted by dc koop
The thing about Austin is the plain part. Miles of plains around. Not even a hill in sight

what??

If you go east, then yes it's flatish, reminds me somewhat of France with small hills and valleys.

The Balcones Fault divides the flattish east from the west which is really hilly... called Texas Hill Country for a reason.

Where I live is really full of steep hills and canyons.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.