Food from home

Old Jun 1st 2017, 8:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Food from home

Originally Posted by notaclue
Sorry, worth clarifying I am looking at shipping this via mail, not whilst travelling.
Doesn't matter how it crosses the border whether it is in your hand luggage on a flight or a box sent by UPS it cannot legally come into the country. You would be much better off finding a supplier in the US. I have never tried it but some on here have, visit a local butcher or farmers market that seeks meat and see if they would be willing to work with you... buy it in bulk and freeze it.
Old Jun 3rd 2017, 9:03 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ecto17
We are moving out in a couple of weeks and whilst very excited about the food l know there will be the odd thing we miss from the uk (squash etc). Anyway a friend came to stay at the weekend and had bought their own home made bacon! Apparently very simple, just some curing salts (that we check and you can get on Amazon in the US) and a few days in the fridge! I can't imagine it will be something l miss straight away but pleased to know we can have it if we want. Not sure making sausages will be quite that simple but will be giving them a go as well!
Bacon is really easy to make. The trouble is finding a butcher who'll have the right cut of meat.

Down my way, most of the shops already get the meat pre-cut from the processing places and they just finish off the cuts. There is a Brazilian butcher a town over who does get his animals processed and does it all himself and he'll do custom cuts but he doesn't speak any English, neither do the other staff in the shop so it's always a bit of a challenge.
Old Jun 8th 2017, 9:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Malt Load is only 50p in Asda. Not immpressed by the chocolate one, the fruity 5 is much the same as the original.

Damn I got my USC wife interested in pickled onion Monster munch, less for me
Old Jun 9th 2017, 6:10 am
BE Enthusiast

LeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond repute

Check out Balson Butchers - British butchers in the US. Love their British bangers and their bacon. We sometimes split the shipping with a friend to make it worthwhile. https://www.balsonbutchers.com
Old Jun 9th 2017, 12:55 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrken30
Malt Load
That can happen after you eat a large quantity of Malt Loaf.

Damn I got my USC wife interested in pickled onion Monster munch, less for me
A huge miscalculation. Hopefully she at least has not discovered Nik Naks?
Old Jun 9th 2017, 3:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutek
That can happen after you eat a large quantity of Malt Loaf.
I went back for a visit in feb and took an American friend with me, her first ever trip over the pond. We had stopped at Costco and they had samples of malt loaf and butter, I suggested she try it as I had grown up eating it and had never found anything like it in the US. She did not like it at all and was gagging on it.
Old Jun 9th 2017, 4:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutek

A huge miscalculation. Hopefully she at least has not discovered Nik Naks?
Not yet, or scampi fries. I have to have some secrets.
Old Jun 9th 2017, 5:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Ash UK/US
I went back for a visit in feb and took an American friend with me, her first ever trip over the pond. We had stopped at Costco and they had samples of malt loaf and butter, I suggested she try it as I had grown up eating it and had never found anything like it in the US. She did not like it at all and was gagging on it.
I went to Costco UK few weeks back and found much of the stock was the same as my local Costco. One exception was "Real American burger buns"

I did like the gelato at the deli, £2 for 3 scoops. They should start selling that in the US. Also baked potatoes were good.
Old Jun 9th 2017, 5:20 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrken30
Not yet, or scampi fries. I have to have some secrets.
Phew!
Old Jun 9th 2017, 11:12 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

I once had a brief issue at customs when trying to persuade them that a chicken & mushroom pot noodle didn't have any meat in it. That was until (by pure luck) an Indian staff member walked by and got involved. She 'got' the whole vegetarian thing - explained it to the other guy - and I was on my way.
Old Jun 10th 2017, 6:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LeavingLondon
Check out Balson Butchers - British butchers in the US. Love their British bangers and their bacon. We sometimes split the shipping with a friend to make it worthwhile. https://www.balsonbutchers.com
Love their stuff. The only problem I have is that the bacon is actually TOO lean! I have to add some of the American stuff to the pan to get some grease going!
Old Jun 17th 2017, 1:56 am
Forum Regular

elizabethsmum has a reputation beyond reputeelizabethsmum has a reputation beyond reputeelizabethsmum has a reputation beyond reputeelizabethsmum has a reputation beyond reputeelizabethsmum has a reputation beyond reputeelizabethsmum has a reputation beyond reputeelizabethsmum has a reputation beyond reputeelizabethsmum has a reputation beyond reputeelizabethsmum has a reputation beyond reputeelizabethsmum has a reputation beyond reputeelizabethsmum has a reputation beyond repute

Oops I messed up then :-( I sent over 2 tons of oxtail soup and 2 tons of Heinz beans with the little sausages in a box with other bits we sent over in advance.....:-(
Old Jun 17th 2017, 11:28 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by elizabethsmum
.... I sent over 2 tons of oxtail soup and 2 tons of Heinz beans with the little sausages ....
Well, assuming they make it through customs (which they likely will) that quantity should keep you going for a while.
Old Jun 17th 2017, 12:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by elizabethsmum
Oops I messed up then :-( I sent over 2 tons of oxtail soup and 2 tons of Heinz beans with the little sausages in a box with other bits we sent over in advance.....:-(
2 tons is an average American meal.
Old Jun 17th 2017, 12:51 pm
Forum Regular

elizabethsmum has a reputation beyond reputeelizabethsmum has a reputation beyond reputeelizabethsmum has a reputation beyond reputeelizabethsmum has a reputation beyond reputeelizabethsmum has a reputation beyond reputeelizabethsmum has a reputation beyond reputeelizabethsmum has a reputation beyond reputeelizabethsmum has a reputation beyond reputeelizabethsmum has a reputation beyond reputeelizabethsmum has a reputation beyond reputeelizabethsmum has a reputation beyond repute

Hahaha auto correct...I typed 2 TINS haha, it auto corrected to tons. Yeah they made it through they are waiting for me at the New house ;-)

Last edited by elizabethsmum; Jun 17th 2017 at 12:54 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.