Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Flying/travel question

Flying/travel question

Old Jan 21st 2014, 2:09 am
Forum Regular

100weight has a brilliant future100weight has a brilliant future100weight has a brilliant future100weight has a brilliant future100weight has a brilliant future100weight has a brilliant future100weight has a brilliant future
Default Flying/travel question

Quick travel question for all you world traveler types.

Flying between Orlando and Dublin, the return trip is Dublin -> Gatwick -> Orlando. Would it be a problem to skip the first leg between Dublin and Gatwick? Would/could they still check me in at Gatwick?

I've booked trips before where I've skipped the second leg, but I've never skipped the first.

I ask because the flight is cheaper "via" Dublin than flying direct to Gatwick.

Thanks
CWT
Old Jan 21st 2014, 2:18 am
Forum Regular

Casual Observer has a reputation beyond reputeCasual Observer has a reputation beyond reputeCasual Observer has a reputation beyond reputeCasual Observer has a reputation beyond reputeCasual Observer has a reputation beyond reputeCasual Observer has a reputation beyond reputeCasual Observer has a reputation beyond reputeCasual Observer has a reputation beyond reputeCasual Observer has a reputation beyond reputeCasual Observer has a reputation beyond reputeCasual Observer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Flying/travel question

Originally Posted by 100weight
Quick travel question for all you world traveler types.

Flying between Orlando and Dublin, the return trip is Dublin -> Gatwick -> Orlando. Would it be a problem to skip the first leg between Dublin and Gatwick? Would/could they still check me in at Gatwick?

I've booked trips before where I've skipped the second leg, but I've never skipped the first.

I ask because the flight is cheaper "via" Dublin than flying direct to Gatwick.

Thanks
CWT
If you are fine with having the entire trip cancelled when you fail to check in and board the first leg it should be no problem at all.

Your post is confusing however as it appears this will not be the first leg if you are travelling first from the US.

Do you intend when arriving in the UK flying onward to Dublin ? If that is the case then how are you getting back to Gatwick to miss the DUB - LGW sector?

Or are you simply trying to get from Orlando to Gatwick and have no intention of going to Dublin? If so that will also be a problem.

Hidden cities and nested tickets only work when you miss the last leg always assuming you can get your baggage short checked.

Last edited by Casual Observer; Jan 21st 2014 at 2:23 am.
Old Jan 21st 2014, 2:33 am
Account Closed

Ulsterman in Texas is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Casual Observer
If you are fine with having the entire trip cancelled when you fail to check in and board the first leg it should be no problem at all.

Your post is confusing however as it appears this will not be the first leg if you are travelling first from the US.

Do you intend when arriving in the UK flying onward to Dublin ? If that is the case then how are you getting back to Gatwick to miss the DUB - LGW sector?

Or are you simply trying to get from Orlando to Gatwick and have no intention of going to Dublin? If so that will also be a problem.

Hidden cities and nested tickets only work when you miss the last leg always assuming you can get your baggage short checked.
I was wondering the same thing a while ago, only it was Dublin-Heathrow-DFW return, I saw a price for the direct BA flight from London to DFW at over $1000 where as originating from Dublin but catching the same flight from Heathrow to DFW $200 was cheaper. but given this answer that is out of the question.
Old Jan 21st 2014, 2:45 am
Forum Regular

100weight has a brilliant future100weight has a brilliant future100weight has a brilliant future100weight has a brilliant future100weight has a brilliant future100weight has a brilliant future100weight has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Ulsterman in Texas
I was wondering the same thing a while ago, only it was Dublin-Heathrow-DFW return, I saw a price for the direct BA flight from London to DFW at over $1000 where as originating from Dublin but catching the same flight from Heathrow to DFW $200 was cheaper. but given this answer that is out of the question.
Same deal from Orlando. $200 saving pp for 3 = trip to Paris.

Mr Observer - the outward journey was from Orlando to Dublin via JFK. We could catch a Sleazyjet or Ryanair flight to the UK. Then, provided a checkin in Gatwick was possible, skip the Dublin to Gatwick leg and fly direct to Orlando.

I hate going back.

CWT
Old Jan 21st 2014, 2:48 am
Forum Regular

Casual Observer has a reputation beyond reputeCasual Observer has a reputation beyond reputeCasual Observer has a reputation beyond reputeCasual Observer has a reputation beyond reputeCasual Observer has a reputation beyond reputeCasual Observer has a reputation beyond reputeCasual Observer has a reputation beyond reputeCasual Observer has a reputation beyond reputeCasual Observer has a reputation beyond reputeCasual Observer has a reputation beyond reputeCasual Observer has a reputation beyond repute

I hate going back.

CWT
You are not the first husband to say this but sometimes it is the best if not only solution.
Old Jan 21st 2014, 2:54 am
Forum Regular

You are not the first husband to say this but sometimes it is the best if not only solution.
It isn't the family. It's the damn shopping around trying to find flights etc. Would rather give the family the money to fly here and they can shop around. Only thing keeping me going is the potential trip to France.

CWT
Old Jan 21st 2014, 2:56 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Ulsterman in Texas
My nearest international Airport is Philly. If instead of driving there I drive just a little further to Allentown I can save around $300 round trip by getting a flight from Allentown to Philly and connecting to the transatlantic sector. For a point of reference the distance is 55 miles

Coming back as you have to claim your baggage at PHL it is not a problem to miss the last leg. If I were to miss the first leg however the whole tip would be cancelled. Personally I take the extra dividend miles and fly back to Allentown anyways.

It may be worth you two taking a look at smaller regional airports within a reasonable driving distance to see if you can get a better deal to the UK

EDITED TO ADD

100weight I noticed you were in Jacksonville and mentioned flying from Orlando so in a moment of boredom I did a quick search on ITA for 7 nights on a random date for an adult flight on Mach 10th

You can Fly direct from MCO to LHR for $977 all in round trip or you can fly from Dayton Beach to London Heathrow for $835 so not quite the $200 saving you were looking for but not far off and no risky business

Last edited by Casual Observer; Jan 21st 2014 at 3:42 am.
Old Jan 21st 2014, 7:25 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

It will cost you more in the end if you skip a leg. Skipping any leg will generally on most airlines cancel the entire itinerary.
Old Jan 21st 2014, 11:16 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

A family friend thought he could catch the return leg to the UK, having not used the outward leg of a return ticket he was holding. He ended up stranded in California with too little cash to buy a ticket and in this post-9/11 world, unable to buy a ticket with his British credit card either!
Old Jan 21st 2014, 11:27 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Years back when we lived in Singapore, it was considerably cheaper to buy a KL-Sing-London ticket than straight Sing-London. There was a short window of opportunity before the airlines realized what people were doing and simply prevented boarding at sing if the kl-sing leg hadn't been flown. Sounds like the same situation here...I don't know what the legalities are, but I would say you are running a risk of not flying.
Old Jan 21st 2014, 12:25 pm
Rootbeeraholic

Bink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
Years back when we lived in Singapore, it was considerably cheaper to buy a KL-Sing-London ticket than straight Sing-London. There was a short window of opportunity before the airlines realized what people were doing and simply prevented boarding at sing if the kl-sing leg hadn't been flown. Sounds like the same situation here...I don't know what the legalities are, but I would say you are running a risk of not flying.
It's pretty concrete - if you don't fly the first leg, they won't let you fly the second and I'm pretty certain there isn't an airline that varies on that policy. You're more likely to get away with it the other way around but the airlines still don't like it.

IIRC the legality is that you haven't checked into the flight if you miss the first leg and therefore you automatically forfeit your ticket.
Old Jan 21st 2014, 1:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

holly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bink
It's pretty concrete - if you don't fly the first leg, they won't let you fly the second and I'm pretty certain there isn't an airline that varies on that policy. You're more likely to get away with it the other way around but the airlines still don't like it.
IIRC the legality is that you haven't checked into the flight if you miss the first leg and therefore you automatically forfeit your ticket.
I'm not so sure about that, it hasn't been my experience. But my experience was not recent.

One thing is for sure, if you don't check in at the first flight they will cancel your reservation on a flight it connects with - even if it is on a different airline with separate tickets. I would call the airline and talk with a customer services representative. In any case, if you decide to try your luck it is crucial to telephone the airline during the time in which you are a no show with a story - such as I'm going to miss the first flight due to ground transport problems but can still get to Dublin in time to make the second flight.

The reason why it is cheaper to fly US to UK via Dublin than direct is because there is a huge UK travel tax to pay that does not apply to "domestic" flights from Dublin. They have to pay for GCHQ to spy on you for your "safety" somehow.
Old Jan 22nd 2014, 2:28 am
Forum Regular

Thanks all for your replies and CO for being bored and looking into flights. Maybe you should consider an alternative career as travel agent. What site did you use to find those deals, if I may ask?

Holly - I get that flights from UK to US are pricey due to the tax. However the flight I was looking at was FROM Dublin TO Gatwick and then to the US and was still cheaper than flying just Gatwick to the US.

CWT
Old Jan 22nd 2014, 2:50 am
Forum Regular

Thanks all for your replies and CO for being bored and looking into flights. Maybe you should consider an alternative career as travel agent. What site did you use to find those deals, if I may ask?
CWT

http://www.itasoftware.com/
Old Jan 22nd 2014, 2:58 am
Forum Regular

Thanks
CWT