Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Flu Vaccination for 9 month old?

Flu Vaccination for 9 month old?

Old Jan 11th 2018, 2:14 pm
Just Joined

LuluBelle1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Flu Vaccination for 9 month old?

Hi All-

We are moving to California from London in two weeks time with a 9 month old baby.

The NHS doesn't vaccinate for flu unless children are over 2 years old, and I've just read in the US they suggest children get vaccinated from 6 months.

Did anyone else vaccinate their young children when they arrived to the US?

Thank you!
Amy
Old Jan 11th 2018, 2:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Flu Vaccination for 9 month old?

Originally Posted by LuluBelle1
Hi All-

We are moving to California from London in two weeks time with a 9 month old baby.

The NHS doesn't vaccinate for flu unless children are over 2 years old, and I've just read in the US they suggest children get vaccinated from 6 months.

Did anyone else vaccinate their young children when they arrived to the US?

Thank you!
Amy
Yes, 6 months is the recommendation here, made by the CDC (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention).

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/protect/keyfacts.htm

Local families I know have done this.
Old Jan 11th 2018, 4:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute

I have just read this. The expectation, based on the experience in Australia already and the start of the flu season here, is that it will be bad flu season. If it was me I would not hesitate to get my baby vaccinated.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/flu-sea...dren-hit-hard/
Old Jan 11th 2018, 6:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MidAtlantic
I have just read this. The expectation, based on the experience in Australia already and the start of the flu season here, is that it will be bad flu season.
One of the reasons being that this year's vaccine is proving to be less effective than is normally the case:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/11/u...ts-strain.html
Old Jan 11th 2018, 11:15 pm
Banned

dc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond repute

There's a serious flu epidemic across the US coast to coast. Some have died. Infants and old people are at the highest risk but even some not in that age group have died.

The flu vaccines that were given this year are only 30 percent effective

Be very careful