Florida shooting

Old Feb 15th 2018, 9:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Florida shooting

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
These are not necessarily in schools, so I suppose they don't count. No big deal, people should really stop complaining.

"Thousands of children are shot each year in the United States, and many of them die of their injuries, according to a comprehensive new study of gun violence published in the journal Pediatrics.

The study, conducted by statisticians at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the University of Texas, found that roughly 7,100 children under the age of 18 were shot each year from 2012 to 2014. An average of 1,300 died of their injuries in a typical year.

That works out to 19 children shot every single day in the course of a year — or 3.5 children killed by guns every single day.

They're staggering numbers, as the authors point out. “Firearm-related deaths are the third leading cause of death overall among US children aged 1 to 17 years,” they write, “surpassing the number of deaths from pediatric congenital anomalies, heart disease, influenza and/or pneumonia, chronic lower respiratory disease, and cerebrovascular causes.”"

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.e319bd592218
The horribly tragic part of that is the number of kids 4 or 5 or 6 years old who got their hands on a loaded gun left laying around by their idiot parent and either shot themselves or another child. Or like the child riding in the back seat of his grandmothers car, got her gun out of her handbag and shot her in the back.
Old Feb 15th 2018, 10:18 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dakota44
The horribly tragic part of that is the number of kids 4 or 5 or 6 years old who got their hands on a loaded gun left laying around by their idiot parent and either shot themselves or another child. Or like the child riding in the back seat of his grandmothers car, got her gun out of her handbag and shot her in the back.
I've imagined that happening to my own son, and how he could possibly live with the knowledge that he killed his beloved mum.

While some in this country certainly care, not enough people care enough.
Old Feb 15th 2018, 11:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
These are not necessarily in schools, so I suppose they don't count. No big deal, people should really stop complaining.

"Thousands of children are shot each year in the United States, and many of them die of their injuries, according to a comprehensive new study of gun violence published in the journal Pediatrics.

The study, conducted by statisticians at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the University of Texas, found that roughly 7,100 children under the age of 18 were shot each year from 2012 to 2014. An average of 1,300 died of their injuries in a typical year.

That works out to 19 children shot every single day in the course of a year — or 3.5 children killed by guns every single day.

They're staggering numbers, as the authors point out. “Firearm-related deaths are the third leading cause of death overall among US children aged 1 to 17 years,” they write, “surpassing the number of deaths from pediatric congenital anomalies, heart disease, influenza and/or pneumonia, chronic lower respiratory disease, and cerebrovascular causes.”"

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.e319bd592218

Yeah, but everyone knows that immigrant deaths don't count. (see post #56 for clarity).
Old Feb 16th 2018, 1:37 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by zzrmark
Yeah, but everyone knows that immigrant deaths don't count. (see post #56 for clarity).
I any of us die why would we not be counted?
Old Feb 16th 2018, 2:10 am
BE Forum Addict

zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
I any of us die why would we not be counted?

FFS. What happens to some Brits sarcasm detector after a few years off the islands??? I feel it kind of defeats the object if I need to put this up every time.
Old Feb 16th 2018, 2:18 am
BE Forum Addict

BenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond repute

This will be out of the news come Monday, and it'll just be a waiting game until the next and I think sadly that's just how it is.

I can't see what arming teachers will do. Procedures in place to flag up psychopaths trying to buy guns don't work. The only thing that'll work is gun control - and I say that as a gun owner... and it'll also never work, 2nd amendment and all that. So really the question is what does the government/US as a whole do about?
Old Feb 16th 2018, 2:20 am
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BenK91
This will be out of the news come Monday, and it'll just be a waiting game until the next and I think sadly that's just how it is.

I can't see what arming teachers will do. Procedures in place to flag up psychopaths trying to buy guns don't work. The only thing that'll work is gun control - and I say that as a gun owner... and it'll also never work, 2nd amendment and all that. So really the question is what does the government/US as a whole do about?
Kevlar t-shirts for the kid's?
Old Feb 16th 2018, 2:22 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Shard
Kevlar t-shirts for the kid's?

Done
Old Feb 16th 2018, 3:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

The shooter has Hispanic name. Cue the Republican immigrant bashing to change the conversation. This stuff makes me sick.
Well we can't talk about gun control because it's "too soon"....

Last edited by anotherlimey; Feb 16th 2018 at 3:39 am.
Old Feb 16th 2018, 3:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
But as I'm sure you have heard, He works in mysterious ways, and a car crash (even involving children) would be part of His plan. There's not much point it talking logic to the devout, they have opted-in to illogic.
Much like the nut-job Islamic extremists they despise. 17 kids being killed in a shooting is God's/Allah's will, everyone should just accept it.....
Old Feb 16th 2018, 6:53 am
On a grand tour

tooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond repute

Go back to the troll factory.
You were clearly not very high on the debating team... do you have anything other than condescencion and scorn? Or are you just not capable of engaging with others' arguments?

Perhaps YOU'RE the troll here?
Old Feb 16th 2018, 10:55 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
Much like the nut-job Islamic extremists they despise. 17 kids being killed in a shooting is God's/Allah's will, everyone should just accept it.....
It was "just" mental illness, an unfortunate circumstance, nobody is responsible for the life of a child who was adopted (lost or was given up by or was taken away from his birth parents), lost both of his adoptive parents, was clearly deeply unhappy, unstable, and completely alienated from society with violent tendencies for years prior to this. At some point, not all that long ago, this teenage killer was just a child in dire need of help. But none of that was anything we could have done anything about of course. We should all just think of this as an isolated incident - until the next time.

The only thing we will put more energy into is ensuring that everone is still free to buy these weapons.

Last edited by Lion in Winter; Feb 16th 2018 at 11:00 am.
Old Feb 16th 2018, 12:52 pm
Sad old Crinkly Member

excpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BenK91
it'll also never work, 2nd amendment and all that. So really the question is what does the government/US as a whole do about?
I think we forget that it's an amendment,
We can change them. We did for slavery and alcohol, why not guns.

Last edited by excpomea; Feb 16th 2018 at 12:55 pm.
Old Feb 16th 2018, 12:55 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by excpomea
I think we forget that it's an amendmant,
We can change them. We did for slavery and alcahol, why not guns.
Indeed. So many people treat 2A as if it's a law of nature.
Old Feb 16th 2018, 12:57 pm
Sad old Crinkly Member

excpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by markonline1
The 18th school shooting THIS YEAR!!!!
1,619 mass shootings since Sandy Hook!!!!!
I heard this too on the radio, 18? really. Where does this statistic come from?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.