Fitness...do you?

Old Oct 31st 2016, 5:56 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fitness...do you?

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
Core strength is one of my main goals. I've had back issues due to poor posture and lack of core for a while.
Working through movements like squats and deadlifts, starting light and progressively adding weight is great for your back/posture, provided you maintain good form. It's worked great for me, especially after I took off some weight to work on my squat form (wasn't getting deep enough).

Getting back at it tonight, I need to bloody well stick with it this time.

My other thing with gyms is I don't think I'd push myself enough with enough variety to make progress. Certainly not without paying extra for a personal trainer. Crossfit has enough variety in exercises that I don't think anything will be missed out. You definitely feel worked out.
It definitely helps to have a program to work from. The first time I joined a gym I just farted around on the treadmill for half an hour and then worked around the (cable) weight machines after that. I didn't know what I was doing and I didn't get any real benefit from it.

When I joined this gym in January, I had already researched a 5x5 weight program and the C25K running program, so I worked on those. I was able to work up to running 5K a few times a week and did get up to a 305lb squat before I realised my squat form sucked.
Old Oct 31st 2016, 5:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

markonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond repute

I've noticed my jeans starting to get a little tight. I could do with loosing some excess timber, so last week I bought a rowing machine. It showed just how unfit I really am if nothing else LOL.
Old Oct 31st 2016, 6:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
Working through movements like squats and deadlifts, starting light and progressively adding weight is great for your back/posture, provided you maintain good form. It's worked great for me, especially after I took off some weight to work on my squat form (wasn't getting deep enough).
Yeah, Friday included a lot of technical lifts (I can't remember the actual name). Everyone else slapped loads of weight on while I reached for a poly pipe. It's actually quite hard to do it with such a light poly pipe because it has very low inertia but it makes you really concentrate on form. By the end of the session I had moved up to an empty metal bar (about 18lb I think).
Old Oct 31st 2016, 6:12 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I hate exercising.

When we lived in NJ I had a home gym. Used to walk 4 miles on the treadmill everyday...plus exercise bike, elliptical, weights etc...swimming in the pool in the summer months.

Although we have a gym and pool in our condo building I haven't used either. Living in the city we try to walk a minimum of 10K steps per day. For the first time we are trying yoga...I rather like it.
Old Oct 31st 2016, 6:14 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, Friday included a lot of technical lifts (I can't remember the actual name). Everyone else slapped loads of weight on while I reached for a poly pipe. It's actually quite hard to do it with such a light poly pipe because it has very low inertia but it makes you really concentrate on form. By the end of the session I had moved up to an empty metal bar (about 18lb I think).
From what I've seen of crossfit videos you were probably doing something like clean and press or clean and jerk. An empty metal bar (presumably it was an Olympic bar, which I'm pretty sure they use in crossfit) is 45lbs.

It's always better to start light and work on form before adding weight, move at your own pace and your body will thank you for it. I didn't deload enough after a break not long ago and my legs killed for a week.
Old Oct 31st 2016, 6:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

From what I've seen of crossfit videos you were probably doing something like clean and press or clean and jerk. An empty metal bar (presumably it was an Olympic bar, which I'm pretty sure they use in crossfit) is 45lbs.

It's always better to start light and work on form before adding weight, move at your own pace and your body will thank you for it. I didn't deload enough after a break not long ago and my legs killed for a week.
Yeah, cluster I think they called it (clean and thrust). It's possible I'm mixing up lb and kg. But it was a short bar not one of the full size ones. I'll check in about 30 minutes :-)
Old Oct 31st 2016, 6:29 pm
I have a comma problem

Yeah, cluster I think they called it (clean and thrust). It's possible I'm mixing up lb and kg. But it was a short bar not one of the full size ones. I'll check in about 30 minutes :-)
It might be a different kind. The Olympic bar is 7' long, and that's 45lbs (just over 20kg), so if yours was a short bar that's probably not it.

The 45lb bar is what I started with and I worked up from there, adding 5lb per workout. If you ever want to feel really silly, load up a bar with two 2.5lb plates and squat it
Old Oct 31st 2016, 6:56 pm
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I hate exercising.

When we lived in NJ I had a home gym. Used to walk 4 miles on the treadmill everyday...plus exercise bike, elliptical, weights etc...swimming in the pool in the summer months.

Although we have a gym and pool in our condo building I haven't used either. Living in the city we try to walk a minimum of 10K steps per day. For the first time we are trying yoga...I rather like it.
I think city dwellers are often more fit overall than suburban folk. Especially if you give up (or have to minimize) use of a car, as many city dwellers do, for one reason or another. Cities of all sizes (decent walkable ones--that is) pull people out into pedestrian areas in a helpful way.

When we lived in an urban neighbourhood in Japan, I was walking or biking everywhere, even to the supermarket...and though we eventually did get a car, we never used it for much beyond family holidays in the countryside.
Old Oct 31st 2016, 7:50 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WEBlue
I think city dwellers are often more fit overall than suburban folk. Especially if you give up (or have to minimize) use of a car, as many city dwellers do, for one reason or another. Cities of all sizes (decent walkable ones--that is) pull people out into pedestrian areas in a helpful way.

When we lived in an urban neighbourhood in Japan, I was walking or biking everywhere, even to the supermarket...and though we eventually did get a car, we never used it for much beyond family holidays in the countryside.
You're right...supermarkets, bars, restaurants, markets, coffee shops, doctors/dentist, gyms etc...even the mall...are all within walking distance to us. In the cold winter months...we use Toronto's PATH system...an underground city of shops, cafes and the Eaton Centre mall. When we lived in Mendham NJ we had to drive everywhere. I quite like living in the city.
Old Oct 31st 2016, 8:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

It might be a different kind. The Olympic bar is 7' long, and that's 45lbs (just over 20kg), so if yours was a short bar that's probably not it.

The 45lb bar is what I started with and I worked up from there, adding 5lb per workout. If you ever want to feel really silly, load up a bar with two 2.5lb plates and squat it
Right, the men's bar is 20kg women's bar 15 kg and the little bar I was using wasn't labeled but he reckoned it 8kg ish.

I tell you what though, when the work out is shoulder to overhead max reps it doesn't matter how heavy the bar is. Arms are like jelly.
Old Oct 31st 2016, 8:14 pm
I have a comma problem

Right, the men's bar is 20kg women's bar 15 kg and the little bar I was using wasn't labeled but he reckoned it 8kg ish.
Sounds about right. 8kg would be about 18lb.

I tell you what though, when the work out is shoulder to overhead max reps it doesn't matter how heavy the bar is. Arms are like jelly.
No, it doesn't matter at that point. Another reason I chose a 5x5
Old Nov 1st 2016, 8:43 pm
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
You're right...supermarkets, bars, restaurants, markets, coffee shops, doctors/dentist, gyms etc...even the mall...are all within walking distance to us. In the cold winter months...we use Toronto's PATH system...an underground city of shops, cafes and the Eaton Centre mall. When we lived in Mendham NJ we had to drive everywhere. I quite like living in the city.
Sounds wonderful!!

When we house-hunted a few years back, one of our key criteria was a house walkable to good shops/services/etc. We found just the right house near to just the right small town centre, but it was surprisingly difficult!

I actually love big city living, & would be happy to be living back in a one in 10 years or so....
Old Nov 4th 2016, 8:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

What is the point of a burpee and why would I want to do 25 of them to finish the workout?
Old Nov 4th 2016, 8:23 pm
I have a comma problem

What is the point of a burpee and why would I want to do 25 of them to finish the workout?
None, and you wouldn't

They are a form of torture. That's why I kind of dropped the calisthenics-style exercises in favour of straight compound lifts and running.

In other news, I didn't go to the gym or run at all this week and managed to pile on about 3lbs onto my fat arse. I sucked harder than a V8 powered Dyson, but at least the Cubs won.

Next week. I am going to tell my wife she has to kick me in the balls if I don't work out at least 3 times. I'm still in denial that my 'get up at 5am and run before work every morning' plan will actually happen one day
Old Nov 4th 2016, 8:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond repute

Eat less and get on your knees scrubbing the floor (i don't) and gardening- lots of it

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.