Fitness...do you?

Old Sep 9th 2016, 10:23 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fitness...do you?

Originally Posted by jambey2510
As a result I'm only 147lbs!
If only it were that easy

I mean, it would be if I'd stop stuffing my face. That's the one bit I still haven't managed to get under control yet.
Old Sep 10th 2016, 8:54 am
Joined on April fools day

Beaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
If only it were that easy

I mean, it would be if I'd stop stuffing my face. That's the one bit I still haven't managed to get under control yet.
I found that the secret for me was a low cal breakfast and lunch. Dinner I would have perhaps two heaping plates of mixed veggies with some soy sauce. Not a lot of calories but a huge amount of food. Not for everyone I admit.
Old Sep 11th 2016, 3:33 am
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beaverstate
I found that the secret for me was a low cal breakfast and lunch. Dinner I would have perhaps two heaping plates of mixed veggies with some soy sauce. Not a lot of calories but a huge amount of food. Not for everyone I admit.
I do great until about mid-morning. Either a couple of boiled eggs or some Greek yoghurt for breakfast and an apple around 10-ish. Then I end up caving in and grabbing one of the granola bars that they provide in the break room - ones with chocolate chips in. Then I'm done for, and the small lunch (usually either a sandwich or a salad or something else along those lines) becomes pretty meaningless.

That dinner sounds OK, but I'd need to add a chicken breast or something as well.

Still, I managed 37"48' for today's run. Damn near killed myself, but my first mile was 10"35', which was a big improvement.
Old Sep 11th 2016, 8:55 am

Beaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond repute

I do great until about mid-morning. Either a couple of boiled eggs or some Greek yoghurt for breakfast and an apple around 10-ish. Then I end up caving in and grabbing one of the granola bars that they provide in the break room - ones with chocolate chips in. Then I'm done for, and the small lunch (usually either a sandwich or a salad or something else along those lines) becomes pretty meaningless.

That dinner sounds OK, but I'd need to add a chicken breast or something as well.

Still, I managed 37"48' for today's run. Damn near killed myself, but my first mile was 10"35', which was a big improvement.
Damn near killed yourself. That is what it's all about isn't it
For me the progress is what makes it all fun. I can be quite stubborn and refuse to go back, so if I do say 3 miles once it cannot be any less going forward.
Old Sep 12th 2016, 4:06 am
I have a comma problem

And here was me thinking it was about extending my life

I pushed harder than I really needed to, I think. I saw the pace on the first mile and instead of easing off I tried to keep it up. I ran out of puff with about a mile to go but I didn't walk, so small victories and all that ...

For me the progress is what makes it all fun. I can be quite stubborn and refuse to go back, so if I do say 3 miles once it cannot be any less going forward.
The progress is good. At the moment I'm sticking with the same distance (about 3.35 miles, which I measured with GPS on the Fitbit app while walking the same route), and trying to get my time down. Once I get to the point where I feel like that distance is 'easy', I'll slowly increase the distance.

The progress was much more fun in the gym for a while. I was two workouts off a 3 plate squat (315 lbs), when I decided to deload a bit to work on form, because I wasn't squatting as deep as I thought I should be, then I got sick, then injured from over-exertion and had to deload a whole shit ton more. Hits your ego pretty hard when you were moving around 300 lbs and then 135 lbs made you unable to walk down the stairs without nearly dying for a whole week

Still, I add 15lbs to my squat each week and I'm back knocking on the door of a bodyweight deadlift, so it's all good.

All I have to do now is try to work out how to shake off the 50lbs I carry around with me every day.
Old Sep 12th 2016, 12:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

rbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond repute

I can honestly say i never feel like I'm actually having fun while running. Its the after effects that make me come back and do it all over again each time. Must be the endorphins, the runner's high, doing their trick. Usually lasts the whole day for me.
Old Sep 19th 2016, 10:56 am

And here was me thinking it was about extending my life

I pushed harder than I really needed to, I think. I saw the pace on the first mile and instead of easing off I tried to keep it up. I ran out of puff with about a mile to go but I didn't walk, so small victories and all that ...

The progress is good. At the moment I'm sticking with the same distance (about 3.35 miles, which I measured with GPS on the Fitbit app while walking the same route), and trying to get my time down. Once I get to the point where I feel like that distance is 'easy', I'll slowly increase the distance.

The progress was much more fun in the gym for a while. I was two workouts off a 3 plate squat (315 lbs), when I decided to deload a bit to work on form, because I wasn't squatting as deep as I thought I should be, then I got sick, then injured from over-exertion and had to deload a whole shit ton more. Hits your ego pretty hard when you were moving around 300 lbs and then 135 lbs made you unable to walk down the stairs without nearly dying for a whole week

Still, I add 15lbs to my squat each week and I'm back knocking on the door of a bodyweight deadlift, so it's all good.

All I have to do now is try to work out how to shake off the 50lbs I carry around with me every day.
I don't do the Gym work, all I want is the cardiovascular and calorie burn.
I have finally hit 3.5 miles in just under 9 minutes per mile, at 58 that is good enough. I don't plan on adding any additional mileage nor increasing my speed. While all are different when I was 33 a quarter century ago I was happy at 8 minutes per mile for 5 miles.
It seems you are making serious strides at conditioning and weight loss.
Believe it or not I truly envy you your achievable goal. Keep it up and let me know on PM if you like. FEEL THE BURN!
Old Sep 19th 2016, 11:07 am

Originally Posted by rbackhouse
I can honestly say i never feel like I'm actually having fun while running. Its the after effects that make me come back and do it all over again each time. Must be the endorphins, the runner's high, doing their trick. Usually lasts the whole day for me.
Come back 30 years later. I ask myself during the first half mile just what the heck am I doing! Then I settle into a rhythm for the duration. After running my planned distance I find I need to make myself stop and not add on another mile. 58 and c a r e f u l. I am so glad I started again, not easy but so worth it!
Old Sep 19th 2016, 1:58 pm
I have a comma problem

I don't do the Gym work, all I want is the cardiovascular and calorie burn.
I have finally hit 3.5 miles in just under 9 minutes per mile, at 58 that is good enough. I don't plan on adding any additional mileage nor increasing my speed. While all are different when I was 33 a quarter century ago I was happy at 8 minutes per mile for 5 miles.
It seems you are making serious strides at conditioning and weight loss.
Believe it or not I truly envy you your achievable goal. Keep it up and let me know on PM if you like. FEEL THE BURN!
I do the work in the gym mostly because I'm worried about loose skin if I ever manage to shift the weight I need to and I have heard building muscle can help to mitigate that (also losing weight slowly, which I am - painfully ). Also for strength, heavy squats vastly improved my 5K times. I'm not doing a bunch of splits or anything that body builders do, I'm going more for general CV fitness and endurance, so I'm not looking to get 'ripped' or anything, but I won't lie that if I look aesthetically muscular when I do shed the weight, I won't be mad either. As far as functional strength goes though, I do feel everything tightening up under there, so that's good.

I have a week in Canada coming up where I'm not going to be watching what I eat or anything but when I get back I think I am going to have to go hard line on the diet if I want to break 200 again. It'd be nice to be in the 180s by the end of the year and aim for my ideal weight (160s) by next summer. At that point I can decide if I want to bulk up to 180 with some muscle or not.

I just don't want to be a fatty anymore . Also, I'd like to be active in my 70s like my wife's grandparents are, not on my death bed like mine were. If my normal-weight-and-in-general-good-shape dad can have a heart attack at 72, I certainly can before then. I think what's making my goals achievable is that I am willing to make them long term. I'll be 40 in three years, if I can get down to a normal BMI and a good level of fitness by then, I will consider it a success.
Old Oct 31st 2016, 9:12 am

I do the work in the gym mostly because I'm worried about loose skin if I ever manage to shift the weight I need to and I have heard building muscle can help to mitigate that (also losing weight slowly, which I am - painfully ). Also for strength, heavy squats vastly improved my 5K times. I'm not doing a bunch of splits or anything that body builders do, I'm going more for general CV fitness and endurance, so I'm not looking to get 'ripped' or anything, but I won't lie that if I look aesthetically muscular when I do shed the weight, I won't be mad either. As far as functional strength goes though, I do feel everything tightening up under there, so that's good.

I have a week in Canada coming up where I'm not going to be watching what I eat or anything but when I get back I think I am going to have to go hard line on the diet if I want to break 200 again. It'd be nice to be in the 180s by the end of the year and aim for my ideal weight (160s) by next summer. At that point I can decide if I want to bulk up to 180 with some muscle or not.

I just don't want to be a fatty anymore . Also, I'd like to be active in my 70s like my wife's grandparents are, not on my death bed like mine were. If my normal-weight-and-in-general-good-shape dad can have a heart attack at 72, I certainly can before then. I think what's making my goals achievable is that I am willing to make them long term. I'll be 40 in three years, if I can get down to a normal BMI and a good level of fitness by then, I will consider it a success.
Still going strong? I have steadily maintained my goal and pace of 3.5 miles every other day at around 9 minutes per mile.
Notice you said you weren't looking to get 'ripped' I agree, though ripped on a 58 year old wouldn't be too impressive. Look away ladies but running has given me butt muscles I have not had in years.
Exercise is an accumulative process, you have to have goals to achieve.
Really enjoy reading of others who have gone from unhappily unfit towards fit.
Old Oct 31st 2016, 12:25 pm
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

The last two years here in the US have been grueling--several family weddings (two overseas), one birth (also overseas), and two deaths with lingering terminal illness. Somehow--in the middle of all the family drama--I managed to lose 25 pounds without even thinking about it.

I did realize at the beginning of that halcion period that I HAD to be physically fit *and* strong, or I wouldn't be able to handle some of the roles I had to step into at very short notice. Nurse, cook/housekeeper, chauffer back & forth to hospitals, wedding helper/dogsbody.... you name it, I had to be ready to jump in & do it, and it really took a toll.

So I started desperately carving out exercise time--for calisthenics (first time in a long time) & long walks, local hikes wherever I happened to be whenever I could free an hour up for myself.

Now that (most of) the crises are over & life has settled a bit, I'm still doing the 40 mins exercise first thing every morning, & religiously walking once or twice a day. When I can't do either, I don't feel good at all, & the weight creeps up, so I kick myself back into the routine. Just hope I can keep it up!!!!!!!
Old Oct 31st 2016, 1:58 pm
I have a comma problem

Still going strong? I have steadily maintained my goal and pace of 3.5 miles every other day at around 9 minutes per mile.
Notice you said you weren't looking to get 'ripped' I agree, though ripped on a 58 year old wouldn't be too impressive. Look away ladies but running has given me butt muscles I have not had in years.
No, lately I suck. Combination of my trip to Canada and the Cubs' postseason games have made it hard to get out to the gym at night. Sounds like a poor excuse but I like to go at 9:30/10:00 when there is no competition for power racks and all the postseason games have run on past 10:30. Just as I was starting to get back into it after getting back from Canada, that's when the Division Series started getting interesting.

I haven't run for a few weeks, and there was no excuse for that. I'm going back to the gym tonight and I'm starting running again tomorrow. Eventually the plan is to get up at 5 every morning and get at least a mile of running in before the day even starts (even on lifting days), then I know it's done. At least until it starts getting too cold for outdoor running anyway, then I'll go back on the treadmill and try to work up to 10K before spring.

With regards to being 'rippped', I could probably pull it off in my late 30s, but stuff like that takes years of strict diet and lifting routines and I just don't have the discipline. My main objective is to get down to the 165-180 lbs range and try to bring my body fat down to around 15%. At that point I should have a reasonably passable 'athletic' appearance but I'm really worried about loose skin and things like that ruining it for me. Strength and fitness are the main goals after weight loss. It's more an investment in future mobility than trying to achieve a 'look' that once I get into my mid 40s will be nigh on impossible to maintain.
Old Oct 31st 2016, 4:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

I mentioned in another thread that I had been dragged to crossfit recently by my wife.

I'm actually starting to like it. I do not like gyms, probably due to being a wimpy nerd who always felt intimidated. Maybe it's just this one place but it feels "right" very welcoming and comfortable. There is something about being cheered on by a complete stranger to finish your reps, very supportive. Good coaches too. While there is only one coach, it feels like he is almost one on one making sure your form is right.

Anyway, I don't need to lose any weight but I have quickly realized how poor my cardio is. Hoping to build up my core too which should help with my back.
Old Oct 31st 2016, 5:38 pm
I have a comma problem

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
I mentioned in another thread that I had been dragged to crossfit recently by my wife.

I'm actually starting to like it. I do not like gyms, probably due to being a wimpy nerd who always felt intimidated. Maybe it's just this one place but it feels "right" very welcoming and comfortable. There is something about being cheered on by a complete stranger to finish your reps, very supportive. Good coaches too. While there is only one coach, it feels like he is almost one on one making sure your form is right.

Anyway, I don't need to lose any weight but I have quickly realized how poor my cardio is. Hoping to build up my core too which should help with my back.
Gyms really aren't intimidating places once you give them a chance. I still prefer to go to mine later just because I don't like waiting around to get on a power rack, but even at 10pm the place I go to is full of powerlifters throwing around 5 plate deadlifts in the other room. I, as a still pretty fat and not very imposing figure, have never once felt out of place or intimidated any time I went. Most of the time everyone's absorbed in their own workouts but the handful of times I have had an interaction with the other patrons they've been nice and helpful.

Good luck with the crossfit, you'll get core strength up the wazoo doing that. Also, cardio will get easier as you get more weight/strength training in. Even my standard 5x5 sets have improved my running. Squat/deadlift heavy and you'll be kicking arse.
Old Oct 31st 2016, 5:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Gyms really aren't intimidating places once you give them a chance. I still prefer to go to mine later just because I don't like waiting around to get on a power rack, but even at 10pm the place I go to is full of powerlifters throwing around 5 plate deadlifts in the other room. I, as a still pretty fat and not very imposing figure, have never once felt out of place or intimidated any time I went. Most of the time everyone's absorbed in their own workouts but the handful of times I have had an interaction with the other patrons they've been nice and helpful.

Good luck with the crossfit, you'll get core strength up the wazoo doing that. Also, cardio will get easier as you get more weight/strength training in. Even my standard 5x5 sets have improved my running. Squat/deadlift heavy and you'll be kicking arse.
Core strength is one of my main goals. I've had back issues due to poor posture and lack of core for a while.

My other thing with gyms is I don't think I'd push myself enough with enough variety to make progress. Certainly not without paying extra for a personal trainer. Crossfit has enough variety in exercises that I don't think anything will be missed out. You definitely feel worked out.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.