Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Fired for Tardy/Absenteeism

Fired for Tardy/Absenteeism

Old Mar 22nd 2017, 7:22 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fired for Tardy/Absenteeism

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
One Monday morning he texted me and said he couldn't come in because he felt angry when he woke up!

It really is a bit scary, but I have it all documented. Most days he is ok, he is a good worker when he does come in.I guess he has so issues.
He's taking the piss with that, though. Unexpected illness/injury/family emergency - that's all OK. But "I feel a bit upset today", or "I was angry when I woke up"? No, that's complete BS.

I know you had that letter you made him sign, but I think you're well into formal written warning territory here, good worker when he's in or not.
Old Mar 22nd 2017, 7:35 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
He's taking the piss with that, though. Unexpected illness/injury/family emergency - that's all OK. But "I feel a bit upset today", or "I was angry when I woke up"? ......
Working alongside "angry" colleagues is one of the nightmare scenarios of living in America.
Old Mar 22nd 2017, 7:44 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrken30
How angry? Angry with who?Is he a little crazy? And does he have access to firearms?
He has money and ex GF problems. A gun?... I live in Tx,

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
He's taking the piss with that, though. Unexpected illness/injury/family emergency - that's all OK. But "I feel a bit upset today", or "I was angry when I woke up"? No, that's complete BS.

I know you had that letter you made him sign, but I think you're well into formal written warning territory here, good worker when he's in or not.

The letter was written as a warning as well. The meeting we had when I talked to him included a HR person as well.

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Working alongside "angry" colleagues is one of the nightmare scenarios of living in America.
Old Mar 22nd 2017, 7:49 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Different kinds of angry, I suppose. I often wake up 'feeling angry', usually because one of the kids was being a dick, or I had a fight with the wife the night before. That was what I thought this one was (and just a BS excuse to get off work, rather than doing the decent thing and claiming to have explosive shits), rather than him being a shooting risk.

The letter was written as a warning as well. The meeting we had when I talked to him included a HR person as well.
Might be getting close to pink slip time, then.
Old Mar 23rd 2017, 1:16 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by vikingsail
Always recall that you a unit of labor, a widget if you will. Nowhere is this more exposed than in the 'at will' states within the US. The tardy/ excessive absence rule is a tool used by employers arbitrarily. As mentioned we all know employees who 'swing the lead.' Where I am we have several, one no one knows their schedule they come in regularly about midday. The other allegedly comes in around 8am stay's until midday then allegedly works from home (pull the other one). It's nearly always about who you know and who you have pissed off when the tardy/ absence rule is thrown at you.
This! The "managers" are usually the last in in the morning.

Originally Posted by dj6372
I fire for tardiness/absenteeism, I go through the process of verbal, written, fire, what's the issue? I work in production 1 worker late puts a line down! If we have no work I send people home, they use vacation or don't get paid.
In this case the manager (seemingly clueless) registered attendance with HR and HR applied policy. Manager told me-OTR- it wasn't what she wanted-no choice.

This recently happened to me. I mentioned it in the Pissed Off thread!!

One of my analysts was always taking off at either very short notice or no notice at all. Sometimes he used sick time and sometimes either vacation or comp time. It got to the point where he was out of paid time, and then he did get sick ( sick enough to need a week off) So he had to take a week unpaid and because he didn't get a sick note from a Dr. I could have fired him.

It has taken me over a year to train this guy, he supposedly is my back up when I'm off. I really didn't want to fire him because I want a vacation this year! But it really annoyed me. I did make him sign a letter stating his job would be in jeopardy if he takes off again without notice, and if he is sick he needs a doctor's note stating how long he needs to be off.

I have an employee policy manual that I inherited I have now updated it. Yesterday I told all 3 of my analysts we were going to have a meeting today to discuss the changed policies. 15 minutes begore the meeting he asked if he could go home as he was feeling upset today.
The answer was NO! I guess he will be gone soon
This guy was far from your slacker. Maybe one too many oversleeps.

My thing is, there is little between his attendance and the rest of us. IDK if others are on written warnings, but we might be hiring soon!

And funny enough, after the news broke, today half the office was late
Old Mar 23rd 2017, 3:30 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RICH
This! The "managers" are usually the last in in the morning.

In this case the manager (seemingly clueless) registered attendance with HR and HR applied policy. Manager told me-OTR- it wasn't what she wanted-no choice.

This guy was far from your slacker. Maybe one too many oversleeps.

My thing is, there is little between his attendance and the rest of us. IDK if others are on written warnings, but we might be hiring soon!

And funny enough, after the news broke, today half the office was late

It's been a learning curve for me since I became head of the department. My first hire I fired after 2 months, my inherited employee quit before I fired her ( and yes it would have happened, she had been allowed to get away with all kinds of crap with our previous boss) My part time lady is great but didn't want to work full time so I hired 2 guys, both with science degrees and some Lab experience. The one I was dubious about hiring has turned out to be the best employee of the two. And the other, well...he may be out the door soon

I am counting the months till retirement.
Old Mar 23rd 2017, 3:00 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

How angry? Angry with who?Is he a little crazy? And does he have access to firearms?
He's in Texas. What do you think?
Old Mar 23rd 2017, 3:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
He's in Texas. What do you think?
Maybe that is one reason I did not take Pulaski's advice on moving to Texas. We have enough crazies up here.
Old Mar 23rd 2017, 3:49 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe that is one reason I did not take Pulaski's advice on moving to Texas. We have enough crazies up here.
You never agree with me on anything else, so why would Texas be any different?

AFAIK there is no particular association between Texas and spree shootings.
Old Mar 23rd 2017, 3:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

They just have too many crazies, I think guns are a secondary problem. Too much sun down there, mad dogs and all that.
Old Mar 23rd 2017, 4:03 pm

They just have too many crazies, .....
You don't live in Texas. I have the same opinion of the population of Oregon, but that is likely as valid as your opinion of people in Texas.
Old Mar 23rd 2017, 5:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

It's been a learning curve for me since I became head of the department. My first hire I fired after 2 months, my inherited employee quit before I fired her ( and yes it would have happened, she had been allowed to get away with all kinds of crap with our previous boss) My part time lady is great but didn't want to work full time so I hired 2 guys, both with science degrees and some Lab experience. The one I was dubious about hiring has turned out to be the best employee of the two. And the other, well...he may be out the door soon

I am counting the months till retirement.
I honestly think many people change their whole perspective on this 'firing' topic once they become managers and have to manage people themselves. When I was a lowly employee, I had all kinds of opinions about how cruel and unthinking 'management' was when dealing with employees. Then I ended up managing people, and I realized what a minefield it was, and how incredibly difficult it was to deal with problem employees.

For one thing, you are not allowed to disclose many facts; so you can't 'make your case' to the other guys if you follow the rules. You can only say very limited and careful things.

I had a guy on my team who was chronically ineffective at work, but dealing with that proved very hard because every time I gave him documented tasks to perform (as part of the whole process of disciplining him), he performed them well. But in the end, we 'got him on a technicality' - he kept coming in late and we made an issue of his attendance, and had a written warning that next time he came in late without first calling in or explaining his absence, he would be terminated; this happened and we terminated him. So the 'real reason' was subtle and difficult to prove, but there were other 'behaviors' that were easier to document and pursue. I was never allowed to tell anyone else what was going on. I followed his career for a while after (via indirect friends) and he could not hold a steady job.
Old Mar 23rd 2017, 6:32 pm

Originally Posted by Steerpike
I honestly think many people change their whole perspective on this 'firing' topic once they become managers and have to manage people themselves. When I was a lowly employee, I had all kinds of opinions about how cruel and unthinking 'management' was when dealing with employees. Then I ended up managing people, and I realized what a minefield it was, and how incredibly difficult it was to deal with problem employees.

For one thing, you are not allowed to disclose many facts; so you can't 'make your case' to the other guys if you follow the rules. You can only say very limited and careful things. ....
A manager of the same grade as me shared a "management only" email with someone on his team, which then caused me an awkward situation when she shared the info with someone on my team. Within a couple of weeks both the manager and woman who passed on the email were gone from the department, and the manager left the company a few months later, but not before a corporate re-org left him demoted by one level (a peer of my direct reports).
Old Mar 23rd 2017, 6:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

vikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond repute

For one thing, you are not allowed to disclose many facts; so you can't 'make your case' to the other guys if you follow the rules. You can only say very limited and careful things.

I had a guy on my team who was chronically ineffective at work, but dealing with that proved very hard because every time I gave him documented tasks to perform (as part of the whole process of disciplining him), he performed them well. But in the end, we 'got him on a technicality' - he kept coming in late and we made an issue of his attendance, and had a written warning that next time he came in late without first calling in or explaining his absence, he would be terminated; this happened and we terminated him. So the 'real reason' was subtle and difficult to prove, but there were other 'behaviors' that were easier to document and pursue. I was never allowed to tell anyone else what was going on. I followed his career for a while after (via indirect friends) and he could not hold a steady job.
Which just adds credence to my point that the tardiness/absence tool is usually used when a manager is pissed off. Look at the phrasing used (highlighted). It becomes a 'we got him' issue. Sorry Steerpike not picking on you I feel the pain but I think we all approach this the wrong way and the tardiness/absence tool is often misused by managers for other underlying issues. In fact it happens to be one of the easiest tools to utilize when attempting to remove an employee providing the rules are followed, as it is clear cut. You were either present or not, allowed excuses excepted.
btw, Im not some bleeding heart liberal/ snowflake.
Old Mar 23rd 2017, 9:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

... in the end, we 'got him on a technicality' - he kept coming in late and we made an issue of his attendance, and had a written warning that next time he came in late without first calling in or explaining his absence, he would be terminated; this happened and we terminated him. So the 'real reason' was subtle and difficult to prove, but there were other 'behaviors' that were easier to document and pursue. I was never allowed to tell anyone else what was going on. I followed his career for a while after (via indirect friends) and he could not hold a steady job.
Originally Posted by vikingsail
Which just adds credence to my point that the tardiness/absence tool is usually used when a manager is pissed off. Look at the phrasing used (highlighted). It becomes a 'we got him' issue. Sorry Steerpike not picking on you I feel the pain but I think we all approach this the wrong way and the tardiness/absence tool is often misused by managers for other underlying issues. In fact it happens to be one of the easiest tools to utilize when attempting to remove an employee providing the rules are followed, as it is clear cut. You were either present or not, allowed excuses excepted.
btw, Im not some bleeding heart liberal/ snowflake.
I don't think you are picking on me at all. This guy was a complete flake, took advantage of many situations, and ruined a great team. He very clearly needed to go. If the rules about terminating an employee weren't so darned restrictive, we would have fired him for all the right reasons, but since we couldn't, we chose to use the technicality. This guy was white, heterosexual, male - but because he was over 40, HR were having fits that he may claim age discrimination. In the end, due to the fact he had demonstrated certain 'violent tendencies' and 'instabilities', we chose to pay him off with a 'package' so he would go quietly. It was a ridiculous situation.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.