Reload this Page >

Ever thought of returning?

Ever thought of returning?

Old Jan 14th 2014, 3:47 pm
Just Joined

zwigrfmtyor is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Ever thought of returning?

HI,
Have any ex pats from the UK emigrated to the US ( Florida in particular) and wanted to come back home?

I would love to emigrate to the US but I'm afraid my time has passed and, as far as I can see, can never do that. I have just returned from 3 weeks over there ( my 6 th Time) and was speaking to a few retired couples who can only spend 6 mnths at a time and have to return to the UK for 6 months. I would be gutted having to return after 6 months.
How I wish I had done it years ago. BTW I am not retired, I am 57 but everywhere I look, I hit a brick wall when looking for info. Seems like the only way is to buy a business out there.
You lucky people!!
Old Jan 14th 2014, 4:35 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ever thought of returning?...(moved to the Trailer Park forum)

Originally Posted by zwigrfmtyor
HI,
Have any ex pats from the UK emigrated to the US ( Florida in particular) and wanted to come back home? .....
No, not I, though I don't live in Florida, and really don't want to.

Take a look at this recent thread for more comments from those of us who like it here. You will note that many of us who like it enough to not want to go back are married to USCs.
Old Jan 14th 2014, 4:46 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

I've thought of it a few times, for different reasons. I used to want to go back at all costs, then I wised up.

Occasionally my wife will wax lyrical that she thinks we should be closer to my parents so we haven't ruled it out but realistically speaking I doubt we'd ever really do it. There is now too much to give up here and I'm becoming less and less inclinded to do so, as time goes on.
Old Jan 14th 2014, 4:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Yes
Old Jan 14th 2014, 4:54 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
I've thought of it a few times, for different reasons. I used to want to go back at all costs, then I wised up.

Occasionally my wife will wax lyrical that she thinks we should be closer to my parents so we haven't ruled it out but realistically speaking I doubt we'd ever really do it. There is now too much to give up here and I'm becoming less and less inclinded to do so, as time goes on.
Thanks for your reply. We don't really have any close family here now, both parents have sadly passed away, but my daughter knows a guy in Tampa and he came up to see us over xmas in Florida and she is talking about transferring her uni course to a uni in Tampa and he said he will let her stay there until she gets settled. I wish that was me! I'm deperate to leave this hell hole.
Old Jan 14th 2014, 4:54 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Yes
For what reason?
Old Jan 14th 2014, 4:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

markonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond repute

Agree with Pulaski, would never want to move to Florida, but I s'pose I could see the attraction for retirement. Can't you get around the 90 day thing by leaving the country for a couple of days? I've heard people do a little 2 or 3 day cruise and can then re enter for another 90 days. Dunno if that's true, or a bit of an urban myth type thing.
Old Jan 14th 2014, 4:58 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by markonline1
Agree with Pulaski, would never want to move to Florida, but I s'pose I could see the attraction for retirement. Can't you get around the 90 day thing by leaving the country for a couple of days? I've heard people do a little 2 or 3 day cruise and can then re enter for another 90 days. Dunno if that's true, or a bit of an urban myth type thing.
Why not Florida? No, once the 6 months is up, you cannot return for another 6 months, you have to leave the country.
Old Jan 14th 2014, 4:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

For what reason?
We've just never really settled into life here, England is where I feel comfortable; after 9 years it still feels alien in LA. Some parts of the country are a bit easier I believe.
Old Jan 14th 2014, 5:00 pm
Just Joined

We've just never really settled into life here, England is where I feel comfortable; after 9 years it still feels alien in LA. Some parts of the country are a bit easier I believe.
UK is changing and fast! Especially now the eu borders have opened up. I hate living here.
I am thinking the only way is to sell my business and buy another in the US to allow me to live there.
Old Jan 14th 2014, 5:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

markonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond repute

The UK is definitely changing. It's becoming a lot more multi cultural. Like America LOL
Old Jan 14th 2014, 5:03 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

UK is changing and fast! Especially now the eu borders have opened up. I hate living here.
I am thinking the only way is to sell my business and buy another in the US to allow me to live there.
Why not just move to a nicer area of the UK if you don't like where you live now?

Buying a business (assuming you mean a E2 visa) wouldn't allow you to live there permanently anyway, there's no direct path to a green card from an E2.
Old Jan 14th 2014, 5:10 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

..... after 9 years it still feels alien foreign in LA. ...
FIFY Sally, you seem to have slipped into American vernacular, perhaps you should go and lie down for a while!
Old Jan 14th 2014, 5:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by markonline1
The UK is definitely changing. It's becoming a lot more multi cultural. Like America LOL
exactly.
Old Jan 14th 2014, 5:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Pulaski
FIFY Sally, you seem to have slipped into American vernacular, perhaps you should go and lie down for a while!
'Alien' is an English word too isn't it? Alienated.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.