Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Enjoying the winter storms?

Enjoying the winter storms?

Old Mar 21st 2018, 11:56 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Enjoying the winter storms?

Dear friends in the northern states,

So sorry you are dealing with the cold snowy icy stuff. As much as I complain about our heat, humidity and crazy hurricanes and flooding at least I don't have to cope with it when it is cold and miserable outside. My condolence's to you all. Stay warm, and be safe.

By the way, spring has sprung and when we wash the yellow pollen off everything we can start to enjoy being outside again , well for a couple of weeks at least
Old Mar 21st 2018, 11:06 pm
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutek
I think this is one of the easiest winters I have had (snow wise) for years.
Glad to hear it! This is exactly what I was saying two weeks ago... so things can change quickly.

It all seems to depend on your weather "band". So far in this present storm, our temps have stayed far enough above freezing to prevent any snow accumulation....yet. We'll see if this stays true tonight.

Of course even non-snow precipitation brings problems. There's a pond down the hill from us that now has so much water that it threatens to flood the street. Abutters are starting to worry about their cellars and septic fields too....

Last edited by WEBlue; Mar 21st 2018 at 11:17 pm.
Old Mar 21st 2018, 11:15 pm
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
Dear friends in the northern states,

So sorry you are dealing with the cold snowy icy stuff. As much as I complain about our heat, humidity and crazy hurricanes and flooding at least I don't have to cope with it when it is cold and miserable outside. My condolence's to you all. Stay warm, and be safe.

By the way, spring has sprung and when we wash the yellow pollen off everything we can start to enjoy being outside again , well for a couple of weeks at least
Thank you for these kind thoughts, Sugarmooma! I know you & the others in your part of TX have recent experience of the horrors bad weather can wreak....

I was telling my husband that the last time I remember losing power was when we lived in Houston during Hurricane Alicia in the 80s. That was a Category 3 storm that killed (IIRC?) a dozen people & wiped out our power for almost a week just a year after we'd moved to Houston--what an introduction to life in TX!

Last edited by WEBlue; Mar 22nd 2018 at 12:10 am.
Old Mar 22nd 2018, 12:01 am
BE Enthusiast

LouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond repute

My first winter in NYC.

It’s funny that Americans seem to think the U.K. is cold and gets a lot of snow.

Haha.

But, have survived so far, must be nearly through it...
Old Mar 22nd 2018, 1:48 am
BE Forum Addict

kins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond repute

We're at 7.5 feet of snow so far this winter. It feels like most of it fell in March.

Lost power for 5 days last October.

It's been a great winter... I'll be so sad when it's gone.
Old Mar 22nd 2018, 11:18 am
Under blue skies

Originally Posted by LouisB
My first winter in NYC.

It’s funny that Americans seem to think the U.K. is cold and gets a lot of snow.

Haha.

But, have survived so far, must be nearly through it...
Hmm, perhaps Americans think Scotland is the UK? Aberdeen can get some real snow....

My commiserations, LouisB! We have a few relatives who've lived in & around NYC for decades & yesterday's storm has scuttled plans. The children were celebrating, of course, no school again! But the adults are not happy with this weather....

Last edited by WEBlue; Mar 22nd 2018 at 12:07 pm.
Old Mar 22nd 2018, 12:12 pm
Under blue skies

Originally Posted by kins
We're at 7.5 feet of snow so far this winter. It feels like most of it fell in March.

Wow! That's a LOT of snow.

I just checked the NOAA weather site for our winter total so far and it's just over one foot. But...it's been a bl**dy heavy foot!!

Last edited by WEBlue; Mar 22nd 2018 at 12:18 pm.
Old Mar 22nd 2018, 12:41 pm
Forum Regular

NYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kins

Where are you in Maine?
Old Mar 22nd 2018, 3:17 pm
Forum Regular

mum 2 3 has a reputation beyond reputemum 2 3 has a reputation beyond reputemum 2 3 has a reputation beyond reputemum 2 3 has a reputation beyond reputemum 2 3 has a reputation beyond reputemum 2 3 has a reputation beyond reputemum 2 3 has a reputation beyond reputemum 2 3 has a reputation beyond reputemum 2 3 has a reputation beyond reputemum 2 3 has a reputation beyond reputemum 2 3 has a reputation beyond repute

First storm that was just wind took down trees in 21 places in my very small town (1600 houses). We were lucky and just lost phone, cable and internet for 3 days and power for 1. Schools got generators to reduce time off. Some barely got it back (couple of hours) before the 27 inches of snow brought down more trees and branches. That one took out power to 95% of our town. It went out on the Wednesday and came back late on the Sunday. Luckily we have a gas fireplace in my bedroom so moved all the kids mattresses in there and camped in 1 room most of the time. I did borrow a generator from a friend on the Friday that we used to charge phones and plug in the garage fridge. Our hot water was working but then maybe not having power caused it to gush hot water all into the finished basement. Next 2 storms weren't too bad. Maybe a foot each and a snow day followed by a late opening. I have lost confidence in the power staying on and plan to install a whole house generator when the real spring arrives. We have now lost 2 days from our spring break as all snow days were used and then some.
Still not as bad as Sandy when we lost power for 11 days.
Old Mar 22nd 2018, 4:22 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mum 2 3
Still not as bad as Sandy when we lost power for 11 days.
Yeah, that one was a biggie. Ours was out for 9 days but I just ran an extension cord in from the car. Doesn't run everything, but enough for light, TV/DVD, internet. All the important stuff.
Old Mar 22nd 2018, 7:53 pm
Under blue skies

Originally Posted by mum 2 3
....Still not as bad as Sandy when we lost power for 11 days.
Originally Posted by Nutek
Yeah, that one was a biggie. Ours was out for 9 days but I just ran an extension cord in from the car. Doesn't run everything, but enough for light, TV/DVD, internet. All the important stuff.
Oh yes, Superstorm Sandy. Sandy cancelled 2012's Halloween in our neck of the woods. So many downed trees and power lines, road closures and other general devastation, that the governor of Connecticut asked trick-or-treaters and their parents to stay home for their own safety.
Old Mar 22nd 2018, 9:40 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WEBlue
Oh yes, Superstorm Sandy. Sandy cancelled 2012's Halloween in our neck of the woods. So many downed trees and power lines, road closures and other general devastation, that the governor of Connecticut asked trick-or-treaters and their parents to stay home for their own safety.
I'll always remember that I was reading a history of Stalingrad at the time, and it made me feel that we were in fact not too badly off, despite the power being off for nearly two weeks!

Yesterday was a total non-event though -- a real waste of schools and businesses closing.
Old Mar 22nd 2018, 11:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

LouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WEBlue
Hmm, perhaps Americans think Scotland is the UK? Aberdeen can get some real snow....

My commiserations, LouisB! We have a few relatives who've lived in & around NYC for decades & yesterday's storm has scuttled plans. The children were celebrating, of course, no school again! But the adults are not happy with this weather....
Funny thing is I had a driving lesson and test booked yesterday.

Both cancelled because of the snow.

Now it’s all gone again.

Doh!
Old Mar 23rd 2018, 4:03 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

They were forecasting rain today.

In March?

Anyway just started snowing.
Old Mar 23rd 2018, 4:40 pm
Under blue skies

Originally Posted by LouisB
Funny thing is I had a driving lesson and test booked yesterday.

Both cancelled because of the snow.

Now it’s all gone again.

Doh!
Oh no! Those DMV appointments/tests are not always easy to reschedule.... Plus the anxiety component of psyching oneself up for the test, only to have the day changed.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.