Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Elementary schools in Durham NC

Elementary schools in Durham NC

Old Apr 24th 2018, 9:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

bewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond repute
Default Elementary schools in Durham NC

Hey all,

I've been offered a job in Durham, NC. At the moment I'm in San Diego. And I am really unsure whether to go or not. My children at 5 and 2 and a big concern is why all the elementary schools in Durham score so badly on Greatschools? Can anyone suggest an area? I'm looking to keep my commute under 30 minutes.
Old Apr 24th 2018, 10:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

BenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Elementary schools in Durham NC

My wife has a friend in Chapel Hill, seemed quite a nice place. Not sure on commute times though.
Old Apr 25th 2018, 12:02 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

I don't really think you should be making these decisions based on GreatSchools.

The Triangle area is known for its universities and technology sector. The public schools are fine.

If you don't like Durham you can live in one of the other two areas of the Triangle.

There was even a book written about seven or eight years ago, "Why There Are No Bad Schools in Raleigh." The book's thesis was wrong (not about school quality in Raleigh, but about the impact of some of the policy prescriptions), but it shows the reputation the schools there have in education circles.

Last edited by carcajou; Apr 25th 2018 at 12:05 am.
Old Apr 26th 2018, 10:45 am
BE Enthusiast

rbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bewildering
Hey all,

I've been offered a job in Durham, NC. At the moment I'm in San Diego. And I am really unsure whether to go or not. My children at 5 and 2 and a big concern is why all the elementary schools in Durham score so badly on Greatschools? Can anyone suggest an area? I'm looking to keep my commute under 30 minutes.
You'd be better looking at schools in Wake County TBH. So that would be Raleigh, Cary, Morrisville, Apex, Holly Springs (on the south west side) to be able to do a 30 minute commute to Durham. Alternatively Chapel Hill has its own school system otherwise it would have to be Orange County.
Old Apr 26th 2018, 10:49 am
BE Enthusiast

rbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carcajou
I don't really think you should be making these decisions based on GreatSchools.

The Triangle area is known for its universities and technology sector. The public schools are fine.

If you don't like Durham you can live in one of the other two areas of the Triangle.

There was even a book written about seven or eight years ago, "Why There Are No Bad Schools in Raleigh." The book's thesis was wrong (not about school quality in Raleigh, but about the impact of some of the policy prescriptions), but it shows the reputation the schools there have in education circles.
Yes, that book is the biggest pile of poo ever. I've lived the Wake County School System for 20 years and in general the schools are very good, however navigating it requires understanding the history and working around the asshole social engineers we have on our school board.
Old Apr 26th 2018, 1:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

bewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rbackhouse
You'd be better looking at schools in Wake County TBH. So that would be Raleigh, Cary, Morrisville, Apex, Holly Springs (on the south west side) to be able to do a 30 minute commute to Durham. Alternatively Chapel Hill has its own school system otherwise it would have to be Orange County.
Thanks for the reply. I have read that sometimes you get reassigned from your neighborhood school in Wake County - does that still happen?

I was looking at North Cary, or Northwest Raleigh.
Old Apr 26th 2018, 2:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bewildering
Thanks for the reply. I have read that sometimes you get reassigned from your neighborhood school in Wake County - does that still happen?

I was looking at North Cary, or Northwest Raleigh.
Yes, it's still possible although I would say it's not as bad as it used to be. You can also look at applying to magnet schools. This is one way to avoid the possible reassignments but competition is high. If I recall it is lottery based.
Old Apr 28th 2018, 1:44 am
Forum Regular

Location: from Yorkshire, via Hampshire and Surrey to NC Triangle
mommapudding is a name known to allmommapudding is a name known to allmommapudding is a name known to allmommapudding is a name known to allmommapudding is a name known to allmommapudding is a name known to allmommapudding is a name known to allmommapudding is a name known to allmommapudding is a name known to allmommapudding is a name known to allmommapudding is a name known to all

20-25 minute commute to Durham from Chapel Hill, our kid went to school in CH. Hillsborough is another option, smaller, with good schools but a small town with amenities and events, or Bahama if you want more bang for your buck, more like a village.
Old Apr 28th 2018, 5:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mommapudding
20-25 minute commute to Durham from Chapel Hill, our kid went to school in CH. Hillsborough is another option, smaller, with good schools but a small town with amenities and events, or Bahama if you want more bang for your buck, more like a village.
Thanks. I thought CH might be too far as google maps gives the commute 25-45 minutes. I am going next weekend to check out different areas.