Electric BBQ

Old Dec 5th 2017, 6:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Anian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Electric BBQ

If you like the middle of your steak to be cold then I guess that is fine.
Old Dec 5th 2017, 7:17 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Actually I know how he likes his steak, and it's med rare and not cold. If you meant cooked on the electric grill I wouldn't know, not having owned one but don't see why the steaks would be cold.

Last edited by caretaker; Dec 5th 2017 at 7:25 pm.
Old Dec 5th 2017, 8:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Anian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond repute

When you flash-cook, the inside doesn't have time to warm up.
Old Dec 5th 2017, 8:41 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
Sounds like you are happy using your indoor gas stove now, but there's no way you can replicate the 'outdoor grill' effect with indoor equipment, unless you are willing to stink out the house, set off smoke alarms, etc. I've had indoor gas for years and I love it, but it's no substitute for my outdoor gas grill when it comes to burning and smoking stuff!
I've only have had a gas stove for the last 69 years so yes, I'm happy with it. Not a fan of burning and smoking stuff. I do like the char on some things, i.e. steak, but found I can get that by using the broiler portion of the gas stove. As I said, I have an outdoor gas grill and this past season we might have used it 3 times total.

As you are an advocate of grilling, I sincerely hope you find a residence that you are not only happy with, but that it has fantabulous views and allows you to have a private gas grill.
Old Dec 5th 2017, 8:42 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Anian
If you like the middle of your steak to be cold then I guess that is fine.
LOL My children do. If it ain't still mooing, it is overcooked.
Old Dec 5th 2017, 8:57 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute

....and going slightly off-topic regarding outdoor grills:

I was in Bed Bath & Beyond today and they have a Tefal Opti-grill. It’s an indoor grill (kind of like a posher version of a George Foreman grill) and you can set it to grill meat, fish and veggies to be rare, medium or well done. They are currently $100 but you can easily get another 20% off with a coupon. There is a video on the BB&B website. (I have no idea how it compares with other brands of similar indoor grills).
Old Dec 5th 2017, 9:15 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
LOL My children do. If it ain't still mooing, it is overcooked.
Are you my mother?
Old Dec 5th 2017, 9:18 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Are you my mother?
Old Dec 5th 2017, 9:38 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
Mrs P was easily convinced of the beauty of a good rare steak (she hadn't tried one before she met me), and now when we buy a steak to cook at home it is usually a 2" ribeye, seared about 60s on each side. Then Mrs P and I each get an end and little Miss P gets about 1½" sliced straight out of the middle.
Old Dec 5th 2017, 9:46 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Anian
When you flash-cook, the inside doesn't have time to warm up.
Maybe it depends on how long it takes to lower and raise from the heat source... My brother in law said they were perfect. If you've cooked steaks in a foundry like that, of course, then you would know. If not then you wouldn't.
Old Dec 5th 2017, 9:50 pm

Originally Posted by caretaker
Maybe it depends on how long it takes to lower and raise from the heat source... My brother in law said they were perfect. If you've cooked steaks in a foundry like that, of course, then you would know. If not then you wouldn't.
It somewhat depends on whether the steak has warmed up to room temperature, or perhaps higher, before you sear it.

Searing straight out of the fridge will get you a seriously cool centre. At the other extreme some people advocate the "reverse sear", where you warm a steak gently for 10-15 minutes, then sear it at the end of the cooking process, ensuring a much less cool centre
Old Dec 6th 2017, 1:08 am
BE Enthusiast

Awesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond repute

It looks to me like they're all gas fired.
I believe so, but there are no 'flames' as such (that's my understanding, at least). So crazy high temps, but no flare-ups and reduced fire risk as a result?
Old Dec 6th 2017, 1:24 am

Originally Posted by Awesome Welles
I believe so, but there are no 'flames' as such (that's my understanding, at least). So crazy high temps, but no flare-ups and reduced fire risk as a result?
Tell that to the condo HOA!
Old Dec 6th 2017, 1:53 am
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Thermite can be loans of trouble fun! (The clue is in the last few seconds of the video)

I have bought all the ingredients to make some myself, but haven't had a go at making any yet.
Actually that wasn't thermite - it was just liquid oxygen poured onto the charcoal.
Old Dec 6th 2017, 2:06 am

Originally Posted by md95065
Actually that wasn't thermite - it was just liquid oxygen poured onto the charcoal.
Ah, OK. I guessed, incorrectly, that the "liquid steel" they were talking about came from a termite reaction.