Electric BBQ

Old Dec 2nd 2017, 5:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute
Default Electric BBQ

One of my future housing options includes a condo that has a rule against 'open flames' on the decks - so no charcoal or gas bbqs (this is actually a city-wide ordnance, so 'any' condo I buy will have the same restriction). I personally LOVE gas bbqs, and don't find any meaningful difference between charcoal and gas - for me the essential element of the bbq is the charring that occurs due to flames which are created by the fat dripping onto the hot surface below - and gas+lava rocks has the same effect as charcoal in that respect.

So - the question is - can a high-powered outdoor electric bbq come close enough to the performance of a gas bbq? I have seen one or two units with a 220V outlet on the deck, possibly for this purpose. And can you add 'lava rocks' to an electric BBQ to enhance the performance?

If you are a charcoal purist, don't bother replying
Old Dec 2nd 2017, 5:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Electric BBQ

Originally Posted by Steerpike
... this is actually a city-wide ordnance, so 'any' condo I buy will have the same restriction ...
FWIW - I'm not sure if this is in California or not, but those restrictions have been in the California Fire Code for about 10 years now. While there may be some localities that haven't adopted that part of the code, I would expect that it is pretty much state-wide by now.
Old Dec 2nd 2017, 7:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

My city has similar for balconies. The apartment complex i used to live in had a lot of shared gas BBQs for people to use in communal areas.

Is that an option?
Old Dec 3rd 2017, 1:06 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Why not buy a townhouse option with a small patio area so that you can still use your grill.

I googled gas grill vs electric and hands down, while the electric has improved, it doesn't give the flavor that gas does.
Old Dec 3rd 2017, 4:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by md95065
FWIW - I'm not sure if this is in California or not, but those restrictions have been in the California Fire Code for about 10 years now. While there may be some localities that haven't adopted that part of the code, I would expect that it is pretty much state-wide by now.
Strangely, I'm renting an apartment in Concord, CA right now and they allow gas bbq's on the wooden deck! I was shocked but take advantage of it. The Condo I'm looking at is in Fountain Hills, AZ but I know the same applies in (at least) Scottsdale, AZ.
Originally Posted by tom169
My city has similar for balconies. The apartment complex i used to live in had a lot of shared gas BBQs for people to use in communal areas.

Is that an option?
I've seen shared gas bbq's in various places. For my style of bbq cooking, the timing is critical. I like popping in and out of the sliding glass door to the deck every few minutes. If using a shared grill near the unit, I'd have to pretty much park myself out there for the duration. I also bbq year round, in pouring rain ... so I really need to have the bbq on the deck.

Originally Posted by Rete
Why not buy a townhouse option with a small patio area so that you can still use your grill.

I'm looking at houses, townhouses, and condos, and may end up in one of the former two, but the absolute winner overall so far in terms of views and interior brightness (my top two criteria) is a condo, so I'm trying to decide whether I can live without my gas grill!
Old Dec 3rd 2017, 1:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

ddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond repute

Go to Home Depot site and look up Cuisinart portable gas grill. Not sure how it is recommended to be used but could possibly work for you. It's only $69.

Last edited by ddsrph; Dec 3rd 2017 at 1:25 pm.
Old Dec 3rd 2017, 1:25 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Is that an option?
I call bias.

Don't listen to Tom.. he sells Propane and Propane accessories.
Old Dec 3rd 2017, 2:53 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Is that an option?
That conjures unappetizing visions of other people’s old baked-on food remnants. . .
Old Dec 3rd 2017, 3:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutek
I call bias.

Don't listen to Tom.. he sells Propane and Propane accessories.
You got me

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
That conjures unappetizing visions of other people’s old baked-on food remnants. . .
Adds to the flavors.
Old Dec 3rd 2017, 3:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
Adds to the flavors.
I've always taken a rather cavalier attitude towards outdoor bbq grill cleanliness. I tend to assume that running the grill on full heat for about 30 minutes will kill any stuff from previous use.
Old Dec 3rd 2017, 4:22 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

I've always taken a rather cavalier attitude towards outdoor bbq grill cleanliness. I tend to assume that running the grill on full heat for about 30 minutes will kill any stuff from previous use.

I agree -- with my own leftovers. I'm a little leery of other people's yuck on a communal grill, however much it is blasted with heat!
Old Dec 3rd 2017, 5:13 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

You may be able to enhance the flavours from your grill the way I do with my little propane one; I gather twigs from the apple orchard next door and make foil packets with slots in to drop in around the burner so it gets some smoke while it's cooking.
Old Dec 3rd 2017, 5:24 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

I'm looking at houses, townhouses, and condos, and may end up in one of the former two, but the absolute winner overall so far in terms of views and interior brightness (my top two criteria) is a condo, so I'm trying to decide whether I can live without my gas grill!
So you are favoring apartment building condos rather than a two story townhouse (condo). Gotcha!

We rarely use our gas grill since we have converted to a gas stove as opposed to the electric that came with the house. I'm thinking that if you go with an electric grill it is really no different than cooking on or in your electric stove just as cooking on my gas stove is no different than cooking on my gas grill. Yup, you can use wood additions or the lava rocks, but guess you like giving the appearance of being an outdoor's man
Old Dec 3rd 2017, 7:16 pm
You aint seen me, right?

SpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond repute

Have you checked to see if they have grills in the communal areas?
Old Dec 3rd 2017, 8:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

ddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ddsrph
Go to Home Depot site and look up Cuisinart portable gas grill. Not sure how it is recommended to be used but could possibly work for you. It's only $69.
The reason I mentioned this grill is the possibility of using it on top of electric stove and under vent hood.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.