Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

EDL leader jailed for entering US on a false passport.

EDL leader jailed for entering US on a false passport.

Old Jan 7th 2013, 6:32 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: EDL leader jailed for entering US on a false passport.

I mean what sir_ecles wrote. USCIS is concerned neither with granting entry to the USA or finding and removing aliens who are in the USA 'illegally'. You are attributing to USCIS functions that belong to its sister agencies.

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by Michael
What do you mean?
Old Jan 7th 2013, 7:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry I used the wrong agency. I thought he meant that they jail them.

Who does the voluntary removal?
You do I guess, that's why it's voluntary :-)

CBP perhaps as they would be the ones turning you round at the border.
Old Jan 7th 2013, 7:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
You do I guess, that's why it's voluntary :-)

Funny but someone has to put them on the plane since they don't just send them back across the border. They want to make sure that they are sent back to the interior of Mexico (their hometown) or other Latin American countries so that it will be less likely that they will again immediately attempt to cross into the US.
Old Jan 7th 2013, 9:15 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Removal - or departure - cannot occur unless one has entered. Someone who has been turned around at the border has not entered - that's denied entry, not voluntary departure.

I think that USCIS could be involved in some types of voluntary departure situations if the departure, or removal, is resulting from a denied application or petition submitted to and processed by USCIS. I expect that actions by ICE or CBP could also be concluded with a voluntary departure.

Regards, JEff

Old Jan 7th 2013, 9:16 pm

Or perhaps back to the UK

Regards, JEff

Funny but someone has to put them on the plane since they don't just send them back across the border. They want to make sure that they are sent back to the interior of Mexico (their hometown) or other Latin American countries so that it will be less likely that they will again immediately attempt to cross into the US.
Old Jan 8th 2013, 10:43 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

It is highly unlikely that he would be considered a major threat to the US to it is unlikely that he would have been jailed if he agreed to voluntarily leave so I doubt that the US applied pressure on the UK government.

As far as the US is concerned, he is not like Julian Assange which the US government considers a threat.
He has criminal convictions which would deny him entry, so he did enter illegally after being denied.
Old Jan 8th 2013, 7:27 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mikelincs
He has criminal convictions which would deny him entry, so he did enter illegally after being denied.
I think he was still seeking entry when he slipped through.

Most people would be denied entry, some end up being deported. Voluntary Departure is when you are given a time to leave using your own resources and does not incur a ban.
Old Jan 9th 2013, 10:38 am
BE Forum Addict

HarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond repute

ICE do the rounding up
CBP prevent people entering
USCIS do visas/citizenship (though the State Department help too)

Each one a separate part of DHS. I probably missed off some other acronyms.
The decision to grant my L1 visa was made I believe, by a State Department official at the US Embassy in London. I believe this is normal