British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Trailer Park (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/)
-   -   EDL leader jailed for entering US on a false passport. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/edl-leader-jailed-entering-us-false-passport-782873/)

rebs Jan 7th 2013 2:34 pm

EDL leader jailed for entering US on a false passport.

News story here about the leader of the EDL being jailed for using a borrowed passport...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-20935502

Interesting that he managed to leave the airport after it was spotted that it was not his own passport - I wonder how that happened :eek:

Michael Jan 7th 2013 3:13 pm

Re: EDL leader jailed for entering US on a false passport.

That seems a little surprising that the UK would jail him since the only offense that I would think he committed under UK law was using false identification to leave the country and it was probably unlikely that USCIS would charge him (unless the US considered him some really shady character or wanted to make a example of him) otherwise the US would likely have jailed millions of Latinos over the past 10 years for using false identification or illegally crossing the border.

Usually USCIS just refuses entry or if the entered illegally, agrees not to prosecute or start removal proceedings if he voluntary leaves the country.

Is this guy a thorn in the side of the British government?

fatbrit Jan 7th 2013 3:14 pm

Originally Posted by Michael (Post 10469233)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_Defence_League

Michael Jan 7th 2013 3:23 pm

Originally Posted by fatbrit (Post 10469237)

Ok, I thought that the EDL was more like the ACLU.

fatbrit Jan 7th 2013 3:26 pm

Originally Posted by Michael (Post 10469251)
Ok, I thought that the EDL was more like the ACLU.

More like the KKK.

Michael Jan 7th 2013 3:35 pm

Originally Posted by fatbrit (Post 10469257)
More like the KKK.

Strange how people can associate a name (including me) with something totally different than what they stand for such as "Americans for Prosperity", "Campaign for Working Families", "Freedom's Defense Fund", or "Freedom Works".

Speedwell Jan 7th 2013 3:45 pm

Originally Posted by Michael (Post 10469271)
Strange how people can associate a name (including me) with something totally different than what they stand for such as "Americans for Prosperity", "Campaign for Working Families", "Freedom's Defense Fund", or "Freedom Works".

You're actually diametrically opposed to "Michael"? :p

mikelincs Jan 7th 2013 3:59 pm

That seems a little surprising that the UK would jail him since the only offense that I would think he committed under UK law was using false identification to leave the country and it was probably unlikely that USCIS would charge him (unless the US considered him some really shady character or wanted to make a example of him) otherwise the US would likely have jailed millions of Latinos over the past 10 years for using false identification or illegally crossing the border.

Usually USCIS just refuses entry or if the entered illegally, agrees not to prosecute or start removal proceedings if he voluntary leaves the country.

He entered the USA illegally on a friends passport, then managed to evade the authorities and stay one night, then he again evaded the authorities by using his own passport to leave the country. Strange that his passport is a different name to the name he uses Stephen Lennon as opposed to Paul Harris
it's possible that the US authorities asked the UK to deal with him and they found a statute that he broke. Wish the US had kept him. Perhaps put him in a cell with a big brotha' for a couple of days.

Michael Jan 7th 2013 4:28 pm

Originally Posted by mikelincs (Post 10469311)
He entered the USA illegally on a friends passport, then managed to evade the authorities and stay one night, then he again evaded the authorities by using his own passport to leave the country. Strange that his passport is a different name to the name he uses Stephen Lennon as opposed to Paul Harris
it's possible that the US authorities asked the UK to deal with him and they found a statute that he broke. Wish the US had kept him. Perhaps put him in a cell with a big brotha' for a couple of days.

It is highly unlikely that he would be considered a major threat to the US to it is unlikely that he would have been jailed if he agreed to voluntarily leave so I doubt that the US applied pressure on the UK government.

As far as the US is concerned, he is not like Julian Assange which the US government considers a threat.

scrubbedexpat099 Jan 7th 2013 5:03 pm

Originally Posted by Michael (Post 10469271)

And the biggie:

ACLU

Americans for a Better Tomorrow, Tomorrow?

Michael Jan 7th 2013 5:47 pm

Originally Posted by Boiler (Post 10469448)
And the biggie:

ACLU

Americans for a Better Tomorrow, Tomorrow?

I think Americans for a Better Tomorrow, Tomorrow is the best descriptive name of any super pac since it accomplished exactly what the name refers to that nothing will be done until tomorrow.

jeffreyhy Jan 7th 2013 5:51 pm

No, USCIS does not.

Regards, JEff

Michael Jan 7th 2013 6:01 pm

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy (Post 10469522)
No, USCIS does not.

Regards, JEff

What do you mean? When Latinos are rounded up whether caught whether caught near the border or caught illegally working, they are usually taken to a detention center and released back to their home country unless they demand removal proceedings, have outstanding warrants, or are human traffickers.

sir_eccles Jan 7th 2013 6:09 pm

Originally Posted by Michael (Post 10469545)
What do you mean? When Latinos are rounded up whether caught whether caught near the border or caught illegally working, they are usually taken to a detention center and released back to their home country unless they demand removal proceedings, have outstanding warrants, or are human traffickers.

ICE do the rounding up
CBP prevent people entering
USCIS do visas/citizenship (though the State Department help too)

Each one a separate part of DHS. I probably missed off some other acronyms.

Michael Jan 7th 2013 6:30 pm

Originally Posted by sir_eccles (Post 10469562)
ICE do the rounding up
CBP prevent people entering
USCIS do visas/citizenship (though the State Department help too)

Each one a separate part of DHS. I probably missed off some other acronyms.

Sorry I used the wrong agency. I thought he meant that they jail them.

Who does the voluntary removal?