Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Eating foods that are well past their expirationd date

Eating foods that are well past their expirationd date

Old May 8th 2017, 11:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Boomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Eating foods that are well past their expirationd date

Originally Posted by ottotheboar
If that is the cheese in a blue can along with tinned fish it was available all over the Middle East even in the most remote rat hole places.
I have eaten a large amount over the years never checked the sell by date but I am pretty sure some would have been well past it.
I never came across a bad can.
Yup that's the one. Family used to get it when we lived in the UAE ; but I never ate it. Developed a liking for it after leaving the UAE. It used to bes made in Australia , but now it is made in Bahrain.

Last edited by Boomhauer; May 9th 2017 at 12:02 am.
Old May 8th 2017, 11:40 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Have you eaten it yet?

Spoiler:
I'm rather prone myself to enjoying a good slice or 6 of Kraft processed cheese
Old May 9th 2017, 1:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Boomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
Have you eaten it yet?

Spoiler:
I'm rather prone myself to enjoying a good slice or 6 of Kraft processed cheese
Oh I haz eated all of it a few days ago .
Old May 9th 2017, 1:32 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
I just looked in our 'medicine cabinet' ... we have a "Vicks Formula 44" cough medicine with an expiration date of 2000, and a Tylenol sore throat bottle with an expiration of 2004. This is after asking her to get rid of all unnecessary stuff from the cabinet (and she did get rid of a lot!).

I needed some cortizone cream recently, and had a choice of two tubes, one expired 2002, the other 2008. I tossed both of them and bought a new one (without asking the g/f's permission ... otherwise she would have told me to keep them!).
We have a tube of Neosporin antiseptic ointment that went out of date around 2006. Its placebo effect is undiminished.
Old May 9th 2017, 3:11 am
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boomhauer
So is this cheese or not ?
There is cheese in it, but it isn't cheese.

Assuming that you haven't been pulling our legs about preferring this stuff, you could save time and money by buying similar products that are made for the US market. Your bog standard "American cheese" isn't real cheese, but a processed product that contains cheese, similar to what is in your can of expired stuff.

(There is American cheese that is actual cheese, but the stuff at the supermarket usually isn't. "Cheese food" is a dead giveaway.)
Old May 9th 2017, 3:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by RoadWarriorFromLP
There is cheese in it, but it isn't cheese.

Assuming that you haven't been pulling our legs about preferring this stuff, you could save time and money by buying similar products that are made for the US market. Your bog standard "American cheese" isn't real cheese, but a processed product that contains cheese, similar to what is in your can of expired stuff.

(There is American cheese that is actual cheese, but the stuff at the supermarket usually isn't. "Cheese food" is a dead giveaway.)
Nope, I really like the stuff, over any other cheese. I am/always have been a very picky eater and started liking this many years ago. Tried a few other cheeses, but just don't like the taste and texture. I like this Kraft cheese when it has become hard from sitting in the fridge for awhile.
Old May 9th 2017, 10:22 am
BE Forum Addict

yellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
I just looked in our 'medicine cabinet' ... we have a "Vicks Formula 44" cough medicine with an expiration date of 2000, and a Tylenol sore throat bottle with an expiration of 2004. This is after asking her to get rid of all unnecessary stuff from the cabinet (and she did get rid of a lot!).

I needed some cortizone cream recently, and had a choice of two tubes, one expired 2002, the other 2008. I tossed both of them and bought a new one (without asking the g/f's permission ... otherwise she would have told me to keep them!).
Originally Posted by Pulaski
We have a tube of Neosporin antiseptic ointment that went out of date around 2006. Its placebo effect is undiminished.
Shelf lives for pharmaceutical products are set based on stability studies, when basically you store them at various temperatures and humidities and see how long they take to "go off". And by "go off", it means that they are no longer safe and/or efficacious. (Ever smelt an old bottle of asprin? It turns to acetic acid, which is why it smells like vinegar. It's not going to kill you but it won't do much for your headache.)

I personally take tablets within a few months of expiry, but that's because I've worked in labs doing stability testing and can find out how each type "go off" and can take an educated risk. However, there is no way on this earth I'd be using ANY creams or liquids 10 years old, because at that age you are well into the risk of it causing actual harm rather than just doing no good.

(food - if it's not meat or fish and it passes checks for smell and appearance and it hasn't been left out where the cats could lick it then all good to go.)
Old May 9th 2017, 12:04 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by yellowroom
Shelf lives for pharmaceutical products are set based on stability studies, when basically you store them at various temperatures and humidities and see how long they take to "go off". .... I personally take tablets within a few months of expiry, ...
Their effectiveness depends on how long their life was in the first place. A drug with a shelf life of 12 months may be completely useless after 15 months, whereas a drug with a shelf life of 10 years may still be effective, and safe, after 12 years.
Old May 9th 2017, 12:37 pm
Forum Regular

NYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RoadWarriorFromLP
When in doubt, throw it out. And you should have doubts.

If you insist on ignoring that bit of common sense advice, then look at it and smell it. If it seems OK, then try just a little bit of it and see what happens.

If you aren't dead or hospitalized as a result, then try a bit more. If it does kill you, then you'll stop on your own accord.

It can't be that different from Velveeta, which is another offensive Kraft faux-cheese product that is widely available here in the good ol' USA. Try that -- you'll probably like it.
It sounds like Cheese Whiz which comes in an aerosol can (like that fake whipped cream) and is in the refrigerated section of the supermarket.
Old May 9th 2017, 1:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

yellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond repute

Their effectiveness depends on how long their life was in the first place. A drug with a shelf life of 12 months may be completely useless after 15 months, whereas a drug with a shelf life of 10 years may still be effective, and safe, after 12 years.
Nope. You can't make any assumptions about the rate or type of change/degradation based on the shelf life itself. Plus you would never get a shelf life of more than 5 years for ANY product - you'd be hard pushed to get more than 3 years, even if the product is rock solid.

That's because the shelf life is based on several assumptions - for the sealed, unopened product stored in general ambient conditions (or whatever temperature the instructions say). Once it's open, and you're storing it in a hot, humid bathroom or in the glove compartment of the car then all bets are off.
Old May 9th 2017, 1:58 pm

Nope. You can't make any assumptions about the rate or type of change/degradation based on the shelf life itself. ....
I'll leave it to you to argue with my daughter's doctor, the pharmacy, and all on-line information I have ever seen about the shelf-life of my daughter's prescription.

All decay reactions are downward sloping curves, some steeper than others. There isn't a dramatic change in the gradient on the expiry date. If the drug was degrading slowly it will continue to degrade slowly, and if it was degrading quickly it will continue to degrade quickly.
Old May 9th 2017, 2:06 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

I made clam chowder last night with clams from the dollar store, and as an afterthought checked the expiration date; May 2017! Pure luck. If the can isn't punctured, swollen, rusted, been frozen..... and the stuff doesn't smell off, I'll usually eat it. If I won't eat or drink something then you're better off leaving it, I have the digestive tract of a black bear.

Last edited by caretaker; May 9th 2017 at 2:09 pm.
Old May 9th 2017, 2:08 pm

Originally Posted by caretaker
I made clam chowder last night with clams from the dollar store, and as an afterthought checked the expiration date; May 2017!
Seriously?
Old May 9th 2017, 2:11 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Seriously?
I wouldn't lie to you, Pulaski. Check out the Teatime Choices thread in Maple Leaf..
I have a stash of canned food piled on the bottom of a kitchen trolley, there may be another can in there expired last year for all I know, but it's mostly still going to be in good shape. Expired dollar store salsa was inedible, (I told them and they took it down). Some stuff keeps better than others, and the smell test decides.

Last edited by caretaker; May 9th 2017 at 2:26 pm.
Old May 9th 2017, 4:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Nope. You can't make any assumptions about the rate or type of change/degradation based on the shelf life itself. Plus you would never get a shelf life of more than 5 years for ANY product - you'd be hard pushed to get more than 3 years, even if the product is rock solid.

That's because the shelf life is based on several assumptions - for the sealed, unopened product stored in general ambient conditions (or whatever temperature the instructions say). Once it's open, and you're storing it in a hot, humid bathroom or in the glove compartment of the car then all bets are off.
I imagine that expiration dates on pharmaceuticals are based on assumptions of a certain degree of abuse - that is, stored in hot, humid conditions contrary to recommendations. If you keep the drug in a cool spot, it probably lasts a whole lot longer. I also imagine there's a whole dimension of 'liability' in play. So I imagine there are several 'extra' years built in. However ... drugs from 2002 should be tossed

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.