Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Do you consider yourself to be living in a free'er country with more freedom?

Do you consider yourself to be living in a free'er country with more freedom?

Old Sep 30th 2016, 1:37 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do you consider yourself to be living in a free'er country with more freedom?

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
I mean, I can see why - all those Canadians so desperate to come to America and bankrupt themselves getting sick, so they all sneak in via the boots of US citizens' cars, right ...
Old Sep 30th 2016, 7:16 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do you consider yourself to be living in a free'er country with more freedom?

I haven't been asked those questions in maybe 10 years now when crossing by land.

They did ask all those when I first moved to Canada, but with time they seem to figure out you live in Canada and questions become nearly non existent.

I am still surprised how little the US officers ask me.

My wife is asked a couple extra questions, but she holds no status in the US.

Now CBSA they are pretty consistent with asking questions after question then asking the same question again to see if you give the same answer.

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
One of my pet hates is how we are quizzed when entering the US as US citizens by road. Yesterday...where do you live...where have you been...why are you coming back to the US...where are you going...how long for?

Land of the free indeed.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Sep 30th 2016 at 7:20 pm.
Old Sep 30th 2016, 7:39 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
I doubt if any Americans actually believe it either. Isn't it just a rote saying, like religious people mumbling their various nostrums? Unfortunately, candidates are forced to wheel out this patriotic claptrap in election season, it's part of the whole dog and pony show.
This American doesn't believe that the US and its population are any freer than say Canadians or most Europeans. I am patriotic but that is my choice and I am content with the display of our flag on various holidays, standing and placing my hand over heart for the pledge and even with singing, very off key, the national anthem.
Old Oct 1st 2016, 9:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

I'll be the one to throw religion into the mix...

I have had a couple of jibs over years, comments about religious freedom, thrown at me... then when gold dollar coins became a lot more common, there was a post going around on Facebook about it lacking the 'in God we trust' inscription (incorrect). I had multiple customers hand them back, because of their lack of wording, along with a lecture about Christianity.

Years ago when we listed our old house for sale, I asked our realtor about doing a open house on a Sunday... he told me he would 'be OK with that' because we lived in GR and then went on to tell me that in his neighborhood in Hudsonville MI it is frowned upon to mow your lawn etc on Sunday. Even being raised in a catholic family in England I never remember being that oppressed by religion!
Old Oct 3rd 2016, 4:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Thought this article in the Guardian recently gave an interesting perspective on freedoms in the US

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...ality-activist
Old Oct 7th 2016, 1:43 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by N1cky
Up until earlier this year I would have said I felt no difference. After my daughters run in with the police earlier this year though I would definitely say less. I can't imagine what happened here happening in the UK, and it's changed all our viewpoints on supposedly living in a 'free' country.
That is because idiot Americans are perfectly fine with distrusting their Government, and 'loving freedom', but at the same time are completely at ease with living in a sanctioned Police state where law enforcement can do no wrong.

It's all down to this obscene love of all things military (state assassins essentially) and this trickles down into loving their Police.

The US definitely has more leeway in terms of free speech and gun ownership, but being free starts with being able to live in a society without risk of being shot in my book.

The US is a broken, awful, society and I ****ing hate it for the most part.
Old Oct 7th 2016, 1:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Anian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond repute

It's my favourite of the contradictory conservative viewpoints now* - hate big government but love the police and military who enforce their laws.

*It used to be "Get the government out of our lives, except when it comes to gay people."
Old Oct 7th 2016, 2:03 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Anian
It's my favourite of the contradictory conservative viewpoints now* - hate big government but love the police and military who enforce their laws.

*It used to be "Get the government out of our lives, except when it comes to gay people."

?
Old Oct 7th 2016, 2:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hungryhorace
but being free starts with being able to live in a society without risk of being shot in my book.
They can shoot my book, it's my back I'm trying to cover
Old Oct 7th 2016, 2:09 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MidAtlantic
They can shoot my book, it's my back I'm trying to cover
Maybe it was in a backpack.
Old Oct 7th 2016, 3:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

yellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Anian

I thought it was "conservatives want to shrink government so it can fit in your bedroom" or even "...so it can fit in your vagina" depending on whether it's gay rights or abortion that is the topic in hand.
Old Oct 7th 2016, 4:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

vikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond repute

Less than 48 months to go. I treat being here as if I was working a mercenary contract in some god forsaken hell hole like the Middle East or Uganda. Does that answer the original question?
Old Oct 7th 2016, 5:19 pm
Horrid Yank

manekeniko has a reputation beyond reputemanekeniko has a reputation beyond reputemanekeniko has a reputation beyond reputemanekeniko has a reputation beyond reputemanekeniko has a reputation beyond reputemanekeniko has a reputation beyond reputemanekeniko has a reputation beyond reputemanekeniko has a reputation beyond reputemanekeniko has a reputation beyond reputemanekeniko has a reputation beyond reputemanekeniko has a reputation beyond repute

Women may go topless in New York City if they please. How is that not a freedom enhancement?

New York Nudity Laws - Topless Women NYC
Old Oct 7th 2016, 5:25 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by manekeniko
Women may go topless in New York City if they please. How is that not a freedom enhancement?

New York Nudity Laws - Topless Women NYC
That sounds like the best kind of freedom but you just know some bloke's going to ruin it by finding some loophole in the law that allows him to walk around with his knob out ...
Old Oct 7th 2016, 5:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
That sounds like the best kind of freedom but you just know some bloke's going to ruin it by finding some loophole in the law that allows him to walk around with his knob out ...
That only happens in Portland, it's find as long as it's not aroused apparently. Especially when dealing with TSA agents.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.