Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Do you consider yourself to be living in a free'er country with more freedom?

Do you consider yourself to be living in a free'er country with more freedom?

Old Sep 27th 2016, 1:58 am
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do you consider yourself to be living in a free'er country with more freedom?

You're making the wrong comparisons....

Freer than Saudi Arabia? North Korea? China? Afghanistan? Pakistan?
India? Japan? Russia?

Freer than the British in the 19th Century when the constitution was written?

I was living in France when they instigated Vigipirate ecarlate - my kids were locked in school and I could not get them out, armed soldiers on the streets in my quiet little town. With no warning whatsoever, martial law was forced on us. I didn't feel particularly free then

I feel freer in the US but it comes with more responsibility (healthcare and pensions off the top of my head), more dangers (other people's right to have a gun) and more consideration for other people's opinions.
Old Sep 27th 2016, 2:53 am
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do you consider yourself to be living in a free'er country with more freedom?

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise

Freer than the British in the 19th Century when the constitution was written?
Assuming you mean the 18th Century?
I have read (though I lack a citation close to hand) that the franchise jumped from 3% as was in Britain to a whopping 6% in the fledgling USA
Old Sep 27th 2016, 1:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Anian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
I relish the freedom to be pedantic and point out that the word is freer. 😉
Americans have the freedom to screw up the English language.
Old Sep 27th 2016, 2:05 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Anian
Americans have the freedom to screw up the English language.
As we see every day, so do Brits!
Old Sep 27th 2016, 2:52 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

No simple answer and things are changing faster than I ever expected.

Some things absolutely, I remember pulling out my pocket knife and my Brother mentioning that would get you arrested in the UK. Obviously you are allowed to defend yourself.

Somebody I was talking to had trouble with squatters in the UK and was a total nightmare, here much easier and quickly resolved.

Other things much less so. So no clear answer.
Old Sep 27th 2016, 3:12 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

I don't notice any real difference in the day to day. Other than a few things here and there, surely living in any 'Western' country is going to feel pretty much the same wherever you are.
Old Sep 27th 2016, 9:58 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
No.
Old Sep 27th 2016, 10:29 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

It really is a matter of how you see things, your perspective.
I view the NHS as providing freedom, freedom from worry, but many Americans view it as a restriction on choice.
I view access to private land, that the right to roam (CROW 2000) solidified, as a freedom. I have not discussed it with many Americans, but I can imagine many will be horrified at it. I get horrified at the cost of a days access to a National Park.
Its all swings and roundabouts and perspective.
Old Sep 28th 2016, 5:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

markonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
I doubt if any Americans actually believe it either.
My mate does. I know because we've discussed after downing a few beers. We've also discussed why America is (or isn't) the greatest country on earth and why Trump isn't (or is) a ****ing dangerous ****!
Old Sep 28th 2016, 6:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Your replies are being monitored by the "Free" state. There is no such thing as free, someone will always be in control. It's just different in the US.

In the US it's corporations and the Police. The corporation lobbyists control the Government here. In the UK the people have more of a say without having deadly consequences.
Old Sep 28th 2016, 6:17 pm
Sasstronaut

livinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by markonline1
and why Trump isn't (or is) a ****ing dangerous ****!
If he does get in, I certainly won't feel free
Old Sep 28th 2016, 6:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by livinginnyc
If he does get in, I certainly won't feel free
You will be free to leave. That's before the wall is finished.
Old Sep 28th 2016, 9:26 pm
Conditional Resident

Mangaboy84 has a reputation beyond reputeMangaboy84 has a reputation beyond reputeMangaboy84 has a reputation beyond reputeMangaboy84 has a reputation beyond reputeMangaboy84 has a reputation beyond reputeMangaboy84 has a reputation beyond reputeMangaboy84 has a reputation beyond reputeMangaboy84 has a reputation beyond reputeMangaboy84 has a reputation beyond reputeMangaboy84 has a reputation beyond reputeMangaboy84 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrken30
You will be free to leave. That's before the wall is finished.
that pisses me off with America (not having a go but the attitude you see nowadays), it seams that if you disagree with someone's view the automatic answer is well leave then. to which I just want to then punch them in the face.
Old Sep 28th 2016, 10:04 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Mangaboy84
that pisses me off with America (not having a go but the attitude you see nowadays), it seams that if you disagree with someone's view the automatic answer is well leave then. to which I just want to then punch them in the face.

Old Sep 29th 2016, 12:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Mangaboy84
What other free will there be? Free to get drunk maybe.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.