Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

disappearing spiders!

disappearing spiders!

Old May 3rd 2017, 7:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Maste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: disappearing spiders!

I love spiders.

Great free pest removers. They eat the pests flying around your home, and rarely bother you. Anything that can get rid of mosquitos and roaches is a thumbs up in my books. I never kill, always remove and let them live. I hope the repayment is Pest Control.
Old May 3rd 2017, 9:05 pm
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Maste
I love spiders.

Great free pest removers. They eat the pests flying around your home, and rarely bother you. Anything that can get rid of mosquitos and roaches is a thumbs up in my books. I never kill, always remove and let them live. I hope the repayment is Pest Control.
Agree with both your points. Spiders are fabulous. Here in the USA the only exceptions seem to be black widows & brown recluses--both of which are distinctive looking enough to tell apart from all the other 'good' spiders.

I too evict large spiders carefully with a glass tumbler & a piece of card, but I usually let a few small ones stay in the corner catching whatever insects make it into the house. Even the most benign spiders have venom to help kill their prey, so you don't want to touch them & risk a bite....
Old May 3rd 2017, 9:18 pm
Back in US & happy!

becks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond repute

It's not that I hate spiders or are scared of them, it's just that if I see one and then they disappear, I get a bit creeped out by it, because I don't like the thought of them crawling on me. Totally irrational I know, because half the time I probably don't see the spiders in the house in the first place. So there most have been loads of time when if I had been looking in the right place, I would have seen a spider and then it would have disappeared at some stage.

But I totally agree with the points about them being better than mosquitoes and flys and that they are great for catching those. Also, I do try to catch them, I certainly don't kill them on purpose. I'm just glad we don't have huge furry ones here or deadly ones.

Even when we had mice in the house, I humanely caught them and let them go in the woods down the road. I will kill earwigs and mosquitoes though.....
Old May 4th 2017, 12:25 am
BE Forum Addict

zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WEBlue
Agree with both your points. Spiders are fabulous. Here in the USA the only exceptions seem to be black widows & brown recluses--both of which are distinctive looking enough to tell apart from all the other 'good' spiders.

I too evict large spiders carefully with a glass tumbler & a piece of card, but I usually let a few small ones stay in the corner catching whatever insects make it into the house. Even the most benign spiders have venom to help kill their prey, so you don't want to touch them & risk a bite....
I too tend to ignore them, which isn't too clever as my job entails getting down and dirty in their favourite haunts on a regular basis. I got a wicked bite high up on the inside of my thigh when one took umbridge after crawling up the inside my shorts a couple of weeks ago, the third bite in twelve months....

Mind you, I'll take the odd bite from a spider anytime over a mass ankles attack from fire ants!!!
Old May 4th 2017, 12:34 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

You're all fricking weird. Well except for Nutek. The only good spider is a dead one, regardless of whether they do good deeds or kill you. Anything with more than four legs has no place in my world whatever country that may be.
Old May 4th 2017, 1:29 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
You're all fricking weird. Well except for Nutek. The only good spider is a dead one, regardless of whether they do good deeds or kill you. Anything with more than four legs has no place in my world whatever country that may be.
I agree

The little jumping ones with rolling eyes freak me out
Old May 4th 2017, 1:41 am
Forum Regular

Teckelspass has a reputation beyond reputeTeckelspass has a reputation beyond reputeTeckelspass has a reputation beyond reputeTeckelspass has a reputation beyond reputeTeckelspass has a reputation beyond reputeTeckelspass has a reputation beyond reputeTeckelspass has a reputation beyond reputeTeckelspass has a reputation beyond reputeTeckelspass has a reputation beyond reputeTeckelspass has a reputation beyond reputeTeckelspass has a reputation beyond repute

Old May 4th 2017, 3:18 am
Back in US & happy!

becks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond repute

I may be able to cope with spiders, but the thing that I never saw in UK and seems to be in every basement I have ever walked into are those millipedes, or centipedes or whatever they are!! I am so sure they have more than a million legs and are just the most horrible thing that crawls - fast too!!! And I don't see any of those spinning webs and catching mosquitoes or flys!!
Old May 4th 2017, 11:36 am

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Nothing should have more than four legs.

Ever.

Except chicken buckets, because mmmm... food buckets.
Old May 4th 2017, 3:45 pm
Back in US & happy!

Originally Posted by Nutek

Ever.

chicken buckets also have more than 2 wings
Old May 4th 2017, 4:15 pm
Turning into a PA gal!

lizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond repute

Ever.

Originally Posted by becks_r
chicken buckets also have more than 2 wings
Sounds like a Sellafield special
Old May 4th 2017, 4:21 pm
Return of bouncing girl!

Wintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond repute

It's jumping spider season around here, apparently.

The only spider which might be characterised as 'cute'... though maybe not when they're leaping for your face.
Old May 4th 2017, 4:25 pm
Back in US & happy!

OH - you had to mention leaping at your face!!!!
Old May 4th 2017, 5:07 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wintersong
jumping spider
So that's something there is no need for whatever.
Old May 4th 2017, 5:40 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

So that's something there is no need for whatever.
Darwin thought otherwise. Do you have an alternative theory?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.