Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

disappearing spiders!

disappearing spiders!

Old May 2nd 2017, 3:52 pm
Back in US & happy!

becks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond repute
Default disappearing spiders!

Is it just me? I was sitting in my office at home (the spare room, nothing fancy), watching a spider crawl across the ceiling. Look away to answer an email and now it has disappeared!!! No idea where it has gone, but I keep feeling like it is crawling over my feet
Old May 2nd 2017, 5:36 pm
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: disappearing spiders!

Originally Posted by becks_r
Is it just me? I was sitting in my office at home (the spare room, nothing fancy), watching a spider crawl across the ceiling. Look away to answer an email and now it has disappeared!!! No idea where it has gone, but I keep feeling like it is crawling over my feet
Yep, I bet it dropped...suspended on its web, of course. Some are fast-moving!
Old May 2nd 2017, 6:58 pm
Back in US & happy!

becks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond repute

I looked all over the floor, no sign! I'm not scared of them. I just don't want them landing on me. At least these are small things and not man-eating, like the ones in Australia!
Old May 2nd 2017, 7:36 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

I wish we had "disappearing spiders". We only have their mirror-image counterpart, appearing spiders.
Old May 2nd 2017, 8:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

chawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I wish we had "disappearing spiders". We only have their mirror-image counterpart, appearing spiders.
Teleportation?
Old May 2nd 2017, 9:26 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Spiders.

Not even once.
Old May 3rd 2017, 2:52 pm
Back in US & happy!

so they are back!!! Caught one and put it outside - another one is staring at me from the ceiling. But you are right Pulaski - I think they will continue to appear and then hide occasionally. It still makes my skin crawl when I notice they have disappeared, but the chances of them dropping on me is fairly remote.

I once had a friend's pet tarantula crawl onto me when I was sitting on his sofa. With no warning! I didn't even know he had a pet tarantula, let alone that it was roaming round the place. I know the wild ones her in NYS are nothing like that, but they still make me shudder.
Old May 3rd 2017, 3:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

We have LOTS of spiders in our home. They are quite fascinating, and we have given up trying to control them - their webs catch mosquitoes and other undesirables.

If you watch carefully, you'll see them descending from the ceiling - they lower themselves on their 'thread' (that they are producing as they drop), then crawl along the floor and back up the wall to anchor the thread wherever they want to build a web (rinse and repeat ...). They are amazingly industrious and build amazing webs with great patience.

I do find them 'on' me once in a while ... part of life ...
Old May 3rd 2017, 3:11 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
Yeah... No.

They would find that to be a very brief life.
Old May 3rd 2017, 3:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutek
Yeah... No.

They would find that to be a very brief life.
I give them a well-aimed 'flick' to transport them well away. Killing them would typically involve making a mess, on me ... so not that desirable!
Old May 3rd 2017, 3:16 pm

I give them a well-aimed 'flick' to transport them well away. Killing them would typically involve making a mess, on me ... so not that desirable!
I'm pretty sure all of that would get lost in the general FLAILING that went on as I ran in tiny circles.
Old May 3rd 2017, 3:25 pm
Back in US & happy!

The funniest thing that I saw with spiders was 3 burly removal men refusing to go into our garage because of the spiders. Now I know the spiders that mainly lived in the Sussex fields round me were huge, but they were harmless. I had to drag everything out the garage and bang it on the ground to get the spiders to run away....
Old May 3rd 2017, 3:32 pm
Back in US & happy!

We have LOTS of spiders in our home. They are quite fascinating, and we have given up trying to control them - their webs catch mosquitoes and other undesirables.

If you watch carefully, you'll see them descending from the ceiling - they lower themselves on their 'thread' (that they are producing as they drop), then crawl along the floor and back up the wall to anchor the thread wherever they want to build a web (rinse and repeat ...). They are amazingly industrious and build amazing webs with great patience.

Yes I agree they are amazing creatures. I once saw a BBC program called spider house, where they let loose loads of different spiders into an abandoned house and filmed them. It was great!!

Used to be petrified of them as a kid, got better as I got older, got scared again after the tarantula incident and then got a bit better when I lived in Sussex - they were everywhere there. I just don't like it when they are there and then not, like a wasp in a room - want to know where it is...

Don't get me on earwigs - they are the spawn of the devil!!!
Old May 3rd 2017, 4:04 pm
Turning into a PA gal!

lizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond repute

I don't do spiders. Intellectually I know they must be in the house because I find cobwebby stuff. When I clean the stairs, the cobwebby stuff reappears within 24 hours. But so long as I don't see the spiders themselves I can pretend they aren't really here. The few I have seen are really spindly, not at all like UK house spiders, and they are silent too, the ones in our UK house sort of rustled as they ran across the floor. This was a bad thing for the spiders because the cats would then hear them....
Old May 3rd 2017, 4:07 pm
Back in US & happy!

Originally Posted by lizzyq
I don't do spiders. Intellectually I know they must be in the house because I find cobwebby stuff. When I clean the stairs, the cobwebby stuff reappears within 24 hours. But so long as I don't see the spiders themselves I can pretend they aren't really here. The few I have seen are really spindly, not at all like UK house spiders, and they are silent too, the ones in our UK house sort of rustled as they ran across the floor. This was a bad thing for the spiders because the cats would then hear them....
ahh yes - I had cats as a kid and they seem to love catching spiders. But they would spit them out still alive and then watch for them to start running away, and so it would go on until either the cat got bored or the spider died!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.