Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Did you find these strange when you arrived in the US? :)

Did you find these strange when you arrived in the US? :)

Old Jul 24th 2015, 7:49 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Did you find these strange when you arrived in the US? :)

Originally Posted by RoadWarriorFromLP
Watt are you talking about?

(I'm shocked that you missed the pun. Not as well grounded as I had thought.)
Damn, I did miss that one. I guess I must have momentarily switched off.
Old Jul 24th 2015, 9:34 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
I've always assumed that the reason that tax is added at the point of purchase in America is that most retailers operate in several different sales tax regimes (different states, counties, and cities) so adding the tax at the till allows them to price and advertise things uniformly across the board. It also makes tax free periods etc possible.
That point might make sense now with the internet, but back when it was in your local paper or local radio I don't think that was relevant.

I think basically the reason is because it is a sales tax (or use tax), not a value-added tax. They are fundamentally different concepts. Although GST and HST are value-added taxes and those aren't included in the price in Canada. However one can argue that once it is added to the value through the supply chain, it becomes part of the price.

As for gas taxes, that isn't a sales tax, it's an excise tax fundamentally. You don't see that added at the checkout for things like alcohol or tobacco either (or guns, in the US).

Although here in Alberta, I notice occasionally some gas stations do have a breakdown of the tax, they have a little bar graph which says "for every $1 in gas you buy, you pay the following amounts" and it has a break down of federal excise tax, provincial excise tax, GST and the actual amount of the gas. Usually smaller gas stations I find.
Old Jul 25th 2015, 12:07 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_
That point might make sense now with the internet, but back when it was in your local paper or local radio I don't think that was relevant.

I think basically the reason is because it is a sales tax (or use tax), not a value-added tax. They are fundamentally different concepts. Although GST and HST are value-added taxes and those aren't included in the price in Canada. However one can argue that once it is added to the value through the supply chain, it becomes part of the price.

As for gas taxes, that isn't a sales tax, it's an excise tax fundamentally. You don't see that added at the checkout for things like alcohol or tobacco either (or guns, in the US).

Although here in Alberta, I notice occasionally some gas stations do have a breakdown of the tax, they have a little bar graph which says "for every $1 in gas you buy, you pay the following amounts" and it has a break down of federal excise tax, provincial excise tax, GST and the actual amount of the gas. Usually smaller gas stations I find.
Maybe they don't add the GST to the price because of the PST having to be added as well at a different rate between federal and provincial as well as to what is taxed, not everything with GST will have PST added for example.

Probably why hotels don't include tax as well, locally hotels are taxed by 3 levels of government:

GST-feds (5%)
PST- province (8%) (Hotel rooms are taxed at a higher rate in BC then other things are.)
Local (2%)

Combining them into the price wouldn't make much sense and people need to see who is taxing them and how much.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Jul 25th 2015 at 12:10 am.
Old Jul 25th 2015, 1:41 am

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
In Britain, yes they are. Ask any engineer and he will tell you that "off" should always be "down". It was a peeve of my father, who never understood why most, but not all, British switches were installed with off in the upward position.
What about 3 way switches
Old Jul 25th 2015, 12:30 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lansbury
What about 3 way switches
Or dual switches
Old Jul 25th 2015, 12:36 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
Or dual switches
What's a dual switch? ...... I think you mean the same thing as what Lansbury said, a pair of "three way switches" are used to achieve two switches for the same light. A three-way switch has an extra connection (three instead of two) to make the circuit work.

In any case I find it irritating that they are invariably installed so that one is always up when the lights are off, and I have recently been planning, after more than 12 years here, to remove and invert one of each of the three-way switches.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jul 25th 2015 at 12:41 pm.
Old Jul 25th 2015, 12:39 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

What's a dual switch? ...... I think you mean the same thing as what Lansbury said, a pair of "three way switches" are used to achieve two switches for the same light.

http://hostedmedia.reimanpub.com/TFH..._SWITCH_08.JPG
I notice the one you have there is in the "off" position.
Old Jul 25th 2015, 12:43 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutek
I notice the one you have there is in the "off" position.
It's a three-way switch, so it would depend on the position of the other switch.
Old Jul 25th 2015, 3:03 pm
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

There are laws that prevent sales taxes from being included in prices. I would presume that these are partly for the sake of record keeping (the government has an easier time knowing what it is owed when the taxes are itemized in the receipts.)

There are also cases in which the tax varies based upon the customer. Sales taxes for cars are usually determined by the address of the party that registers it, not by the location of the dealer -- if the buyer is from out of state, then it probably won't owe any tax to that state. (The vehicle gets "exported", and the tax is paid to the place where it ends up.) There is no way for a dealer to advertise a price with tax included.

This must also be something that merchants and producers want. They don't want to be blamed for price increases caused by taxes, they want to be able to point out that not all of the money is going to them, and they want to be able to advertise prices in a uniform manner.
Old Jul 26th 2015, 5:15 pm
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

What's a dual switch? ...... I think you mean the same thing as what Lansbury said, a pair of "three way switches" are used to achieve two switches for the same light. A three-way switch has an extra connection (three instead of two) to make the circuit work.

http://hostedmedia.reimanpub.com/TFH..._SWITCH_08.JPG

In any case I find it irritating that they are invariably installed so that one is always up when the lights are off, and I have recently been planning, after more than 12 years here, to remove and invert one of each of the three-way switches.
The logic of 'down on' as explained to me by a German engineer is that it was intended to mimic the action of 'pressing a button down', although even he admitted that in practice, it is effectively 'negative logic'.

From a personal point of view, I also find it odd not only from a 'digital' perspective (up being 1 or 'on', down being 0, or 'off)' but also in that 'up' to turn on the overhead lights just seems like common sense.

Last edited by amideislas; Jul 26th 2015 at 5:19 pm.
Old Jul 26th 2015, 7:29 pm

Originally Posted by amideislas
The logic of 'down on' as explained to me by a German engineer is that it was intended to mimic the action of 'pressing a button down', although even he admitted that in practice, it is effectively 'negative logic'.

From a personal point of view, I also find it odd not only from a 'digital' perspective (up being 1 or 'on', down being 0, or 'off)' but also in that 'up' to turn on the overhead lights just seems like common sense.
My father always rationalized as a safety thing, in an emergency all you need to do was swipe downwards at it, which you might be able to do even as you were falling.
Old Jul 26th 2015, 10:38 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Don't even know which way is on. If state of light incorrect, flip switch other way.

Might have to remount all of mine sideways now.
Old Jul 27th 2015, 7:15 am
Turning into a PA gal!

lizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AdobePinon
Don't even know which way is on. If state of light incorrect, flip switch other way.

Might have to remount all of mine sideways now.
In that case would you flip right or left for on?