Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Debunking Myth of Immigrants Stealing Jobs...

Debunking Myth of Immigrants Stealing Jobs...

Old Mar 25th 2015, 12:33 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Debunking Myth of Immigrants Stealing Jobs...

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/03/29/ma...immigrant.html

... Logically, if immigrants were “stealing” jobs, so would every young person leaving school and entering the job market; countries should become poorer as they get larger. In reality, of course, the opposite happens.....
Kind of amusing read this...so what do you lot think?
Old Mar 28th 2015, 1:41 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Debunking Myth of Immigrants Stealing Jobs...

The basic unit of all economic activity is a natural person; ergo the more units you have, the more economic activity there is. It really is that simple.

I mean, let's imagine that overnight every person in the world died except for people within the US. Would the US economy carry on in exactly the same way?
Old Mar 28th 2015, 3:28 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Depends where you are in the chain.

If you are one of those out of work or earning a lot less then bad, if you are one of those benefits from cheaper labour good.
Old Mar 29th 2015, 12:14 am
BE Forum Addict

zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute

I find it somewhat amusing that Americans will roundly bash illegals 'stealing all the manual labour jobs' and yet if you asked those same people if they'd be prepared to pay USC's a minimum wage for those same jobs they baulk because of the implications of price rises.
Old Mar 29th 2015, 9:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/03/29/ma...immigrant.html

Kind of amusing read this...so what do you lot think?

I was thinking exactly the same thing while in M&S, seeing people's trolleys overflowing with goodies.
Old Mar 29th 2015, 2:23 pm
I approved this message

Hiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zzrmark
I find it somewhat amusing that Americans will roundly bash illegals 'stealing all the manual labour jobs' and yet if you asked those same people if they'd be prepared to pay USC's a minimum wage for those same jobs they baulk because of the implications of price rises.
Some Americans. Also, you are of course completely justified in tut-tuting and wagging your finger from on high as this type of idiotic political grandstanding around immigration simply doesn't exist in the UK. Oh wait....
Old Mar 29th 2015, 2:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hiro11
Some Americans. Also, you are of course completely justified in tut-tuting and wagging your finger from on high as this type of idiotic political grandstanding around immigration simply doesn't exist in the UK. Oh wait....
Ooops, I did realise after I posted it that I should maybe have said 'some people' as I wasn't specifically implying only and all Americans! (and should probably have edited but hey-ho )