Debit Card Hack

Old Aug 2nd 2015, 1:47 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Debit Card Hack

Originally Posted by Steerpike
Well ... cash is the easiest of all to steal in many circumstances - pick-pockets, etc - and when it's gone, it's gone. A mix of cash and cards is best I would say.
Cash, and a mix of cards, I would say, and light on the cash. I never travel without at least two different Visa cards plus my Amex card.
Old Aug 2nd 2015, 2:13 am
BE Forum Addict

jmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321

When your in another country and your card is compromised and cancelled, you can be up the creek as there is no way to get a replacement quickly as it takes 2-3 weeks for the bank to issue and send a new one out.
Unless it's AmEx
Old Aug 2nd 2015, 2:14 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
Well ... cash is the easiest of all to steal in many circumstances - pick-pockets, etc - and when it's gone, it's gone. A mix of cash and cards is best I would say.
I agree it's easiest to steal and can't be replaced, we don't have the luxury of having 2 credit cards, nor a high limit, just renting a car and staying a week in a hotel can hold our entire credit limit. 1,000 CAD isn't the most useful credit limit. (only about 750 US $.)

Cash is what poor people use, If our debit card worked in the US, I'd trust it as it's one of the big 3 banks, and 24/7 call center, and 24 hour replacement of the card anywhere in North America, but only place we can use the card is at ATM's, so have to use cash regardless.

You have to use what you have access to.

Upside the exchange rate is so bad right now, we can't do any US travel......so not going to have to worry about anything for a while, possible a few years, depends on long the monopoly money stays weak. lol
Old Aug 2nd 2015, 2:15 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jmood
Unless it's AmEx
I know they do, but Amex is not an option for people in our income range, they are not an easy card to get and won't consider people in our income range.

I'd get one if we could their benefits would come in handy and far more consumer friendly then other cards are.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Aug 2nd 2015 at 2:21 am.
Old Aug 3rd 2015, 3:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

yellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
I've only ever been robbed once -in London on the underground and my purse was taken out of my handbag. I was peed off because the purse was an expensive one....anyway, the cash (not much) got taken and the purse thrown to the floor. Somebody picked it up and saw it had a Natwest bank card in it and handed it in to Natwest. Who contacted me and I got my lovely purse back. So, the only thing I lost was the cash.
Exactly the same thing happened to me at a tube station about 20 years ago - except it was a natwest ATM receipt still in the discarded purse that they used to track me down.

I distinctly remember it because it was one of the stations with lifts which were out of action and we had to go down a deep spiral staircase forever. By the time I got to the bottom my handbag was open and the purse missing. Gits.