Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Dealing with Current Debt...

Dealing with Current Debt...

Old Sep 17th 2015, 2:57 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dealing with Current Debt...

Originally Posted by Awesome Welles
Forgive me if this is a totally ridiculous notion, but why wouldn't you use this to pay your debts with? I know the concept might be a bit alien to some folk, it's called 'being a responsible adult', I believe.
I get it.

If she uses all her available cash to pay off her debts then she will have nothing (she won't be working) in case of emergency. She also won't have access to credit here in the USA.

She is being sensible and the next item she needs to make sure is that the debts are dealt with and not ignored.
Old Sep 17th 2015, 3:20 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise

If she uses all her available cash to pay off her debts then she will have nothing (she won't be working) in case of emergency. She also won't have access to credit here in the USA.
But she is coming here for one reason, to get married -- is her husband-to-be in such a precarious situation that he can't help out for two or three months while she gets situated here? However independent she may have been -- and will surely be again -- these two are in this together and for a while he will be the one to step up and make good on the "for richer or poorer" part of the deal.
Old Sep 17th 2015, 3:48 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
But she is coming here for one reason, to get married -- is her husband-to-be in such a precarious situation that he can't help out for two or three months while she gets situated here? However independent she may have been -- and will surely be again -- these two are in this together and for a while he will be the one to step up and make good on the "for richer or poorer" part of the deal.
Nutmegger, I don't know about you but I've seen plenty of marriages end. I've seen girlfriends/boyfriends/fiance(e)s break up because actually living in a different country wasn't what they thought it would be, or because the partner wasn't quite the same in their home environment. I've seen women unable to leave and go home because they didn't have the funds to get a flight. I've helped women get money together to leave.

I would want my own daughters to be able to look out for themselves and able to stand on their own 2 feet if necessary.

I think everyone should have their own emergency fund and not be at the mercy of banks/credit cards/loans/other people. In a recent thread about paying off credit card debt, I advised the OP to get their own emergency fund together so that they wouldn't be racking up credit card debt if the washing machine broke down for example.
Old Sep 17th 2015, 4:02 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Nutmegger, I don't know about you but I've seen plenty of marriages end.
Mine among them! But despite needing my first OH's financial support for the first few months in this country (I arrived with a $50 bill he had given me in my wallet. Period!) I soon got a job and was on my feet by the time we called it quits, so that I was the one buying out his share of jointly owned property. That is what I envisage for the OP -- a whole fresh start with her UK debt settled.
Old Sep 17th 2015, 6:11 pm
Account Closed

materialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond repute

Forgive me if this is a totally ridiculous notion, but why wouldn't you use this to pay your debts with? I know the concept might be a bit alien to some folk, it's called 'being a responsible adult', I believe.
Don't really know why you feel the need to be so obnoxious and belligerent when the OP appears to be looking for sensible ways to meet her obligations, not abandon them completely.
Old Sep 17th 2015, 6:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Awesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by materialcontroller
Don't really know why you feel the need to be so obnoxious and belligerent when the OP appears to be looking for sensible ways to meet her obligations, not abandon them completely.
I'm merely suggesting a sensible way for her to meet her obligations - use the money she has diligently saved to satisfy her debts. Kindly explain to me how that is either obnoxious or belligerent.

I have to confess that I do find requests for reassurance that it's acceptable to amass indebtedness and then just shit on the creditors by skipping the country ostensibly penniless, presumably to have others financially carry you, to be a little bit irritating.

However, this is clearly not the case here - she has money, which is great. What are the chances of her creditors seeing a brass farthing of it, do you think?
Old Sep 17th 2015, 7:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute

I'm merely suggesting a sensible way for her to meet her obligations - use the money she has diligently saved to satisfy her debts. Kindly explain to me how that is either obnoxious or belligerent.

I have to confess that I do find requests for reassurance that it's acceptable to amass indebtedness and then just shit on the creditors by skipping the country ostensibly penniless, presumably to have others financially carry you, to be a little bit irritating.

However, this is clearly not the case here - she has money, which is great. What are the chances of her creditors seeing a brass farthing of it, do you think?
If I may say, I did think your first post came on a bit strong!! Note that the OP asked how people serviced their debts when in the US not how to run away from them (I think you'll find that was me telling her of the consequences should she not be able to service her debts). Whether or not creditors see a brass farthing or not isn't anybody's business to ponder except the OP and her creditors.

I don't recall seeing the amount of the 'rainy day' monies saved nor the size of the debt. Whilst one might expect support from a spouse in the jobless interim period, I personally wouldn't much fancy dumping, let's say for argument's sake, £2,000 rainy day monies into debts of £200,000 - it would make very little difference to the remaining debt to be serviced but would come in handy for a new immigrant to set themselves up in their new land without feeling like Oliver Twist and continually begging their spouse for the odd dollar.
Old Sep 17th 2015, 8:22 pm
Austin. TX.

Originally Posted by zzrmark
If I may say, I did think your first post came on a bit strong!! Note that the OP asked how people serviced their debts when in the US not how to run away from them (I think you'll find that was me telling her of the consequences should she not be able to service her debts). Whether or not creditors see a brass farthing or not isn't anybody's business to ponder except the OP and her creditors.

I don't recall seeing the amount of the 'rainy day' monies saved nor the size of the debt. Whilst one might expect support from a spouse in the jobless interim period, I personally wouldn't much fancy dumping, let's say for argument's sake, £2,000 rainy day monies into debts of £200,000 - it would make very little difference to the remaining debt to be serviced but would come in handy for a new immigrant to set themselves up in their new land without feeling like Oliver Twist and continually begging their spouse for the odd dollar.
Old Sep 17th 2015, 8:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Awesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond repute

If I may say, I did think your first post came on a bit strong!! Note that the OP asked how people serviced their debts when in the US not how to run away from them
It was this bit.....

"Well, I for one, will not be able to even afford a repayment plan sum as, need all the money that I am currently slowly saving to live off, once out there, let alone pay for Uk debt."
Old Sep 17th 2015, 9:14 pm
"Ignore Imbecile replies"

florida12 is an unknown quantity at this point

Nutmegger, I don't know about you but I've seen plenty of marriages end. I've seen girlfriends/boyfriends/fiance(e)s break up because actually living in a different country wasn't what they thought it would be, or because the partner wasn't quite the same in their home environment. I've seen women unable to leave and go home because they didn't have the funds to get a flight. I've helped women get money together to leave.

I would want my own daughters to be able to look out for themselves and able to stand on their own 2 feet if necessary.

I think everyone should have their own emergency fund and not be at the mercy of banks/credit cards/loans/other people. In a recent thread about paying off credit card debt, I advised the OP to get their own emergency fund together so that they wouldn't be racking up credit card debt if the washing machine broke down for example.
I am indeed, working towards building an emergency fund to try and remain, some sort of my 'independence' during my initial move out there.
Old Sep 17th 2015, 9:17 pm

Thank you. I am glad to see someone actually knows and understand where I am coming from instead of, trying to interpret what it is, I am NOT actually saying.
Old Sep 17th 2015, 9:19 pm
Austin. TX.

Originally Posted by florida12
I am indeed, working towards building an emergency fund to try and remain, some sort of my 'independence' during my initial move out there.
Good for you!!

But..... do tackle the issue of repaying your UK debts with your fiance.

At the very least phone the credit card companies and negotiate more favourable terms and a repayment schedule that suits you and gets the debt paid.

Good luck florida12. xxx
Old Sep 17th 2015, 9:21 pm

Question Re: Dealing with Current Debt...

Thank you for noting my very first post, as such.
You got it spot on. Thank you. I appreciate you and a few others on here, who actually understands what I asked for on my first posting of this matter.
Old Sep 17th 2015, 9:22 pm

Good for you!!

But..... do tackle the issue of repaying your UK debts with your fiance.

At the very least phone the credit card companies and negotiate more favourable terms and a repayment schedule that suits you and gets the debt paid.

Good luck florida12. xxx
That is getting looked into aswell. The repayment, will allow me to save some for a rainy day aswell.
Old Sep 17th 2015, 9:34 pm
Austin. TX.

as per my conversation with my bank guy today....

set yourself up with a currency conversion account at a company like worldfirst or currenciesdirect before you leave the UK. It will take a few weeks as they have to do security checks but once sorted out it will enable you to send money back to your UK account much more quickly and cheaply than using the banks' services.

There is also a thread somewhere on BE about how to pay credit cards etc directly without getting money transferred into a bank I think. Maybe do a search on that?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.