Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Dealing with Current Debt...

Dealing with Current Debt...

Old Sep 16th 2015, 4:04 pm
"Ignore Imbecile replies"

florida12 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Dealing with Current Debt...

Yes wholly until I find a job. I have no car, no job. Not complaining one bit, but will be a drastic change from my independence for so many years.
I worked in he fitness industry for 20 yrs now, but USA changed their certificate a good years back so now UK aswell as other European and Australian certified trainers can no longer work under their certification.
I may have to do this all over again once out there. I am hoping due to my experience and exposure on social media, (videos, mag interviews etc) I may be lucky and work without that.
In the meantime I have been posting my CV onto Link end website at local California companies and firms.
Old Sep 16th 2015, 4:04 pm

Yes wholly until I find a job. I have no car, no job. Not complaining one bit, but will be a drastic change from my independence for so many years.
I worked in he fitness industry for 20 yrs now, but USA changed their certificate a good years back so now UK aswell as other European and Australian certified trainers can no longer work under their certification.
I may have to do this all over again once out there. I am hoping due to my experience and exposure on social media, (videos, mag interviews etc) I may be lucky and work without that.
In the meantime I have been posting my CV onto Link end website at local California companies and firms.
Old Sep 16th 2015, 4:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

NatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond repute

Unfortunately when people move on a fiance visa they are sort of dependent on their other half until their work permit/green card comes through. I can imagine it's a trying time for couples who follow this route. Likewise being the trailing spouse on a work visa (as i was). I hated feeling like my husband's 'dependent' when previously I'd worked and paid half of everything.
Old Sep 16th 2015, 4:07 pm
Forum Regular

Welshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck. I just saw your visa approval thread, congratulations. Hope everything works out for you both.
Old Sep 16th 2015, 4:09 pm

Originally Posted by Welshgator
Good luck. I just saw your visa approval thread, congratulations. Hope everything works out for you both.
Ah thank you!
Old Sep 16th 2015, 4:10 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by florida12
Thank you. I am paying comfortably within my means, but then i shall be jobless once i relocate for my life with my USCBF. So i was merely asking advice on what others did...
Thank you for your constructive & understanding comment. Sir_eccles.
Are you getting married? What does the USCBF have to say about how to handle this money problem? Is he in a position to help you out? Have you talked about it?

I don't mean to be too nosey so don't answer if you don't want to but this isn't just your problem to sort out and he should be aware of your current situation. Always, always make sure you can go home without worries.

edit: hadn't realised you had another thread going......
Old Sep 16th 2015, 4:12 pm

Originally Posted by NatashaB
Unfortunately when people move on a fiance visa they are sort of dependent on their other half until their work permit/green card comes through. I can imagine it's a trying time for couples who follow this route. Likewise being the trailing spouse on a work visa (as i was). I hated feeling like my husband's 'dependent' when previously I'd worked and paid half of everything.
I cannot wait until I am legally able to work. I really need my car and job back!! But I am not complaining about it all as I am very happy to just now have my visa approval. Many things to look forward to. My USBF is very much aware that I am so proactive so he will support me to get my independence back.
Old Sep 16th 2015, 4:18 pm

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
Are you getting married? What does the USCBF have to say about how to handle this money problem? Is he in a position to help you out? Have you talked about it?

I don't mean to be too nosey so don't answer if you don't want to but this isn't just your problem to sort out and he should be aware of your current situation. Always, always make sure you can go home without worries.

edit: hadn't realised you had another thread going......
Yes he is helping me out of course. I have been responsible and putting a little bit of my salary to one side each month so I have quite a bit to take with me on the plane.. rainy money.
He is aware of everything and does feel bad about me sacrificing everything for him, but he is determined that we are both comfortable. As for the coming back to UK if need, that has also been thought about also. Which I do hope will not happen.
Old Sep 16th 2015, 4:47 pm
Forum Regular

Welshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond repute

Yes he is helping me out of course. I have been responsible and putting a little bit of my salary to one side each month so I have quite a bit to take with me on the plane.. rainy money.
He is aware of everything and does feel bad about me sacrificing everything for him, but he is determined that we are both comfortable. As for the coming back to UK if need, that has also been thought about also. Which I do hope will not happen.
LOL, there's that sacrificing thing again. Just figuring you're giving up living in a council house and lots of debt against moving to California, what's to sacrifice ?
Might be just me, but for people who love and want to be together 'sacrifice' just seems odd wording. I just never felt that way when I moved here. Almost feels like if you have an argument it'll get thrown out as " I sacrificed everything for you!" type thing. Maybe I'm just reading too much into it.

Don't bring too much cash, they might confiscate it as drug money at the POE.
Old Sep 16th 2015, 5:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Welshgator
LOL, there's that sacrificing thing again...
Might be just me, but for people who love and want to be together 'sacrifice' just seems odd wording. I just never felt that way when I moved here. Almost feels like if you have an argument it'll get thrown out as " I sacrificed everything for you!" type thing. Maybe I'm just reading too much into it...
My (USC) wife spends far too much time apologizing for the 'sacrifice' I'm making to be with her, by which she means leaving family, friends and country of birth behind.
I suppose it's just those who feel empathy that consider sacrifices are made in moving to another country?
Old Sep 16th 2015, 6:34 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by zzrmark
My (USC) wife spends far too much time apologizing for the 'sacrifice' I'm making to be with her, by which she means leaving family, friends and country of birth behind.
I suppose it's just those who feel empathy that consider sacrifices are made in moving to another country?
I get that but I think for me I never saw it as a personal sacrifice. It was really more of a starting a new phase in my life with someone I love, almost an adventure if you like.
Maybe it's the fact that I worked in numerous countries, moving on every three months for a several year period before I came state side. A little immunity from what was left behind.
Old Sep 16th 2015, 6:59 pm

Originally Posted by zzrmark
Yeah. My love of my life, he also says that too.. 'sacrifice' even though its my choice and my happiness to do so. I try and make him see its ok. They cant help it at times I suppose to see it this way..
Thanks for your constructive reply. Appreciate it.
Old Sep 16th 2015, 7:27 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

To go back to your original question...
when we left France for the USA we still had to pay mortgage utility insurance bills there from our US salary. All our savings had been used up in getting ourselves set up here. (deposits for cars, rental house etc, etc) We transferred money back each month sufficient to pay the bills via worldfirst into our french bank.

What I was trying to get at in my previous thread is that you seem to consider these debts as your responsibility - which they are. However, had you remained in the UK working you would have paid them out of your salary. Now, you are moving and as part of that process will be unemployed for a while. I would suggest that it is a priority for you to get those debts paid and the amount to pay them needs to be included in your new budget in the USA, which may mean for a while that your fiance is paying them for you. Make an arrangement with him to repay him when you are working if you need to - but don't let those debts be there to bite you in the backside in the future.
Old Sep 17th 2015, 12:31 am
Banned

Canveydave has a reputation beyond reputeCanveydave has a reputation beyond reputeCanveydave has a reputation beyond reputeCanveydave has a reputation beyond reputeCanveydave has a reputation beyond reputeCanveydave has a reputation beyond reputeCanveydave has a reputation beyond reputeCanveydave has a reputation beyond reputeCanveydave has a reputation beyond reputeCanveydave has a reputation beyond reputeCanveydave has a reputation beyond repute

We kept some debts going in the UK when we moved, I had spent the previous 3 years trying to clear up my UK credit rating and I am not going to through that hard work away!

I use XOOM.com to transfer money off my US debit card every month to pay it. The upside for me is that it keeps my credit score ticking over in the UK. Ironically I now have the cleanest UK credit I have ever had and my "score" (largely meaningless) is the highest it has ever been.

Leaving aside moral obligations (and for the record I don't have any!), you never know what might happen and if you can find a way to keep paying minimum payments then I really would. Long term I think it would make sense.
Old Sep 17th 2015, 2:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Awesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond repute

I have been responsible and putting a little bit of my salary to one side each month so I have quite a bit to take with me on the plane.. rainy money.
Forgive me if this is a totally ridiculous notion, but why wouldn't you use this to pay your debts with? I know the concept might be a bit alien to some folk, it's called 'being a responsible adult', I believe.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.