Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Day Without Immigrants

Day Without Immigrants

Old Feb 16th 2017, 10:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Day Without Immigrants

Originally Posted by Rete
What a crock this is. It should be a day with ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS. There are millions of legal immigrants in the US. It is the illegal ones that most are angry about having them living and working here illegally.
I so agree. While I am no supporter of Trump his main thrust has been the halting and reduction of Illegal Immigrants.

On an NPR interview today there was an interview with a businessman in Washington who has closed his 6 restaurant in support of this day.

The interviewer asked him "how many employees he had"
"over 600" he replied.
" How many are immigrants" was the next question.

What has this got to do with the problem of Illegal Immigrants?

Why was the question not "How many illegal immigrants do you have working for you"

Who cares how many immigrants he has working for his restaurants? If they are all legal then good luck to them. His closing has probably only resulted in his staff losing a day's wages.
Old Feb 16th 2017, 11:07 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with you on this part, Leslie. However, you are not going to like me sentiments which were posted elsewhere regarding this.

"I'm all in favor of a "Day Without Immigrants". But is has to be a day without ILLEGAL immigrants. If they want it to be with all immigrants then the protest means nothing but being an attention getting mechanism. Force each and every US employer to NOT hire illegal immigrants and then perhaps they will think twice about coming to the US. Fine them, prosecute them under the letter of the law, and if they continue to do so, close their businesses. And while they are at it, no state, city, or town should be a sanctuary for illegal immigrants."
I don't have a problem with your comments. I think that people who are honestly opposed to the influx of undocumented workers should also be just as strongly against the people that employ them. Otherwise, it's all just theater.

Personally, I think we should have a guest/migrant worker program. But we don't. As long as the law remains, as it is today, we should be treating the people that employ undocumented workers as criminals and social pariahs.

As for the sanctuary city argument, I think the definition of sanctuary city changes depending on who's doing the talking. I don't think the burden of immigration enforcement should fall on the local police. If the federal government should enforce their own laws. We don't send traffic cops in to do the work of the IRS or the EPA so why should they do the work of ICE?
Old Feb 16th 2017, 11:59 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

I was in Costco and the lady who served me was an Immigrant, if there were major issues did not see them.
Old Feb 17th 2017, 1:16 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
I so agree. While I am no supporter of Trump his main thrust has been the halting and reduction of Illegal Immigrants.
But it isn't. It's just grandstanding, smoke and mirrors.

If he wanted to sort the problem out, it would be done practically over night with fining these companies millions per person or shutting them down.

No one will come here if they can't get a job and they won't get a job if a company risks such a loss that they will do more diligence in checking the employees.

It won't change though because as much as the bluster sounds good, they want illegal immigrants.

I'd not go picking spuds in a hot, open field all day long for a couple bucks a sackful and I'm sure most other folks here won't either.
Old Feb 17th 2017, 1:37 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
.... I'd not go picking spuds in a hot, open field all day long for a couple bucks a sackful and I'm sure most other folks here won't either.
But when there's an unlimited supply of H-2As for temporary agricultural workers, why do even farmers resort to hiring illegals? I suspect that it is a myth that many farm workers are illegal.

It seems to me more likely that illegals are doing work that there is no visa for - landscaping, and construction trades - roofing, framing, and other semi-skilled trades and unskilled labouring.

Last edited by Pulaski; Feb 17th 2017 at 2:13 am.
Old Feb 17th 2017, 1:55 am
Account Closed

Only a few percent work in the agricultural sector, hospitality and construction are the main ones seemingly in CO.
Old Feb 17th 2017, 2:13 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
But when there's an unlimited supply of H-2As for temporary agricultural workers, why doneven farmers resort to hiring illegals. I suspect that it is a myth that many farm workers are illegal.
Take a look at the Wikipedia article for H-2A. You won't have to read very far, or even believe much of what you read to get the general idea.
Old Feb 17th 2017, 6:20 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

I loved it. I stayed at home all day!!
Old Feb 17th 2017, 6:27 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by hungryhorace
I loved it. I stayed at home all day!!
You were not out protesting?

Did strike me as odd that Restaurants that employ illegals would close and basically say please please raid me.
Old Feb 17th 2017, 6:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with you on this part, Leslie. However, you are not going to like me sentiments which were posted elsewhere regarding this.

"I'm all in favor of a "Day Without Immigrants". But is has to be a day without ILLEGAL immigrants. If they want it to be with all immigrants then the protest means nothing but being an attention getting mechanism. Force each and every US employer to NOT hire illegal immigrants and then perhaps they will think twice about coming to the US. Fine them, prosecute them under the letter of the law, and if they continue to do so, close their businesses. And while they are at it, no state, city, or town should be a sanctuary for illegal immigrants."
People that hire illegal immigrants are fine men according to Trump. I believe that is what he called Pudzer, I may be wrong. I guess Trump has also exploited white illegals, it's just Mexican illegals that are bad.

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/...al-immigration

He even married one

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/p...work/93321114/

Last edited by mrken30; Feb 17th 2017 at 6:49 pm.
Old Feb 17th 2017, 6:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob

If he wanted to sort the problem out, it would be done practically over night with fining these companies millions per person or shutting them down.

No one will come here if they can't get a job and they won't get a job if a company risks such a loss that they will do more diligence in checking the employees.

It won't change though because as much as the bluster sounds good, they want illegal immigrants.

I'd not go picking spuds in a hot, open field all day long for a couple bucks a sackful and I'm sure most other folks here won't either.

While it might be grandstanding and he won't be going after the employers who employ illegal immigrants, he still has not said that legal immigrants are the problem with regard jobs and crime and has never mentioned deportation of legal immigrants.

However, the demonstrators are demonstrating against an apparent purge against all immigrants; and do not appear to support the idea that some immigrants are in the country without papers and are therefore illegal. They may be hardworking but they, nevertheless are still in the country illegally.
Old Feb 17th 2017, 7:12 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
You were not out protesting?
Na, I had a day of playing PS4 and booking our holiday. It was interrupted by Trump's monumentally insane press conference, however. I loved it. Haha!

Did strike me as odd that Restaurants that employ illegals would close and basically say please please raid me.
lol, someone at work pointed that out also.
Old Feb 17th 2017, 7:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
While it might be grandstanding and he won't be going after the employers who employ illegal immigrants.
Aren't these the people that probably voted Trump in?
Old Feb 17th 2017, 7:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob

I quite agree to address the problem requires stricter enforcement and penalties for those that employ those who have entered the country without proper documents.

A few simple measures though would also help. For example statistically looking at social security credits to individuals as often a legal immigrant will "lend" his social security to another- he gains social security credits, the other has a social security number to work with. He pays taxes, but I don't think there is any program to match how someone can be working in two states at a time for example.

The other issue used to occur ( I am not sure it still does for companies over 50 employees) where someone would give a social security number that didn't match their name- when I was employing people in California sometimes we wouldn't get a notice from the social security administration of the mismatch for up to two years later.

What about follow-ups on visa over-stays. I know someone who overstayed their visa, and then a year later made an application and was granted entry ( which they qualified for anyway they just didn't apply for). The person's address wasn't hidden, and in that year there was never one single letter or follow up on why they over-stayed their visa.

I am not sure but is the e-verify system applicable to all businesses, or just those over a certain number of employees ?
Old Feb 17th 2017, 9:53 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by morpeth
I quite agree to address the problem requires stricter enforcement and penalties for those that employ those who have entered the country without proper documents.

A few simple measures though would also help. For example statistically looking at social security credits to individuals as often a legal immigrant will "lend" his social security to another- he gains social security credits, the other has a social security number to work with. He pays taxes, but I don't think there is any program to match how someone can be working in two states at a time for example.

The other issue used to occur ( I am not sure it still does for companies over 50 employees) where someone would give a social security number that didn't match their name- when I was employing people in California sometimes we wouldn't get a notice from the social security administration of the mismatch for up to two years later.

What about follow-ups on visa over-stays. I know someone who overstayed their visa, and then a year later made an application and was granted entry ( which they qualified for anyway they just didn't apply for). The person's address wasn't hidden, and in that year there was never one single letter or follow up on why they over-stayed their visa.

I am not sure but is the e-verify system applicable to all businesses, or just those over a certain number of employees ?
Aye, the lending of SSN of a legit person apart from the IRS getting involved is hard to do anything about. I know someone who got caught out that way, when the whoever's number was being used passed away and the IRS had about 6 tax returns the following year.

The other trick, that a large retailer used to do, probably still does, would hire a legit person and fire them on paper and hire on an illegal using that number, which had passed the I-9 check and would end up with 5 or so people working with the original number and if it ever became a problem was always put down to administrative error and nothing was done about it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.