DACA etc.

Old Jan 13th 2018, 12:14 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: DACA etc.

Agreed that 'Hispanic' or 'Latino' vote doesn't exist as a voting bloc. A Cuban emigre living in Florida is far more likely to vote Republican than a Mexican emigre living in California.

Last edited by BritInParis; Jan 13th 2018 at 12:21 am. Reason: Typo
Old Jan 13th 2018, 12:20 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by carcajou
Showing the math: 800,000 times 48% turnout = 384,000.

384,000 times 65% (Democratic support) = 249,600

384,000 times 35% (Republican support) = 134,400

Net difference: 115,200
I obviously can not talk for the Democrats's but assume they are expecting a higher conversion rate for DACA recipients than the average and would also be taking into account the longer term, with their families added into the equation.
Old Jan 13th 2018, 1:50 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
I obviously can not talk for the Democrats's but assume they are expecting a higher conversion rate for DACA recipients than the average and would also be taking into account the longer term, with their families added into the equation.
Maybe - but that would be mistaken as historically it hasn't happened, and my 115,000 net gain is probably too optimistic. First-generation voters historically have turned out at a lower rate than the national average; by the time that smooths out in the second, third and later generations, they vote with whatever are the prevailing political winds and trends at the time. Maybe that will benefit Democrats, maybe not, nobody can say for sure and it would be a real throw of the dice and absolutely foolish to make, or oppose, a policy decision based on that.

Very few of the DACAs are going to be political junkies who wish someone would make a set of baseball cards featuring congressmen, any more than the rest of the public. On the list of priorities for why they want to stay in the country, "so I can vote for Democrats on election day" is not going to be on there.

The net effect on presidential elections is going to be miniscule, and at lower levels, totally unpredictable . . . and I think more than a few progressive (and conservative) activists are going to be surprised at how the religious backgrounds and social conservatism of the countries many of the DACAs come from, will interact negatively with many progressive social causes. That is not a mystery, but few have been paying attention until now.

It would be very unwise decision making to base support or opposition to this on trying to read electoral tea-leaves for thirty years from now.

Last edited by carcajou; Jan 13th 2018 at 1:57 am.
Old Jan 17th 2018, 5:56 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis
The TPS for El Salvador which will ceased in 18 months was put in place due to earthquakes which happened 17 years ago. That's awfully long time to give you the opportunity for AOS. The overall number of people holding TPS is 325,000 which is a lot in absolute terms but relatively speaking I'm not sure that's going to swing an election for you given eligibility, distribution, turnout, etc.. The 1.9 million people eligible for DACA on the other hand probably would.
The point isn't whether it is possible, it's how the Republicans perceive it. The southwest and Florida are the most popular places for these people to live, enough to turn Arizona and Florida into blue States. That's what they're scared of. And Nevada from a swing State into a blue State as well.

The fact that so many people have been on TPS for so long is just an indication of political paralysis, because it clearly isn't sensible to send 200,000 Salvadoreans back to El Salvador, that's in no-one's interest. It will destabilize the country and apparently they've got about 200,000 US citizen children as well.

I agree that they should never have been on TPS for as long as they were but that was a decision taken by Bush and Obama, just kick the can down the road in some vague hope of immigration reform.
Old Jan 17th 2018, 6:01 pm
Account Closed

Sounds like we are now getting immigration reform.
Old Jan 17th 2018, 6:01 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Putting 800,000 DACAs on a path to citizenship in Texas would net about 115,000 votes for the Democratic Party there, at current turnout and trend levels. Trump won Texas by about 800,000 votes.
It's not about Texas and it's not purely about Presidential elections either, the Texas congressional map is heavily gerrymandered. Florida and Arizona are the ones they're worried about. If those two States generally went Democratic they would have a tough time getting the votes in the Senate or winning the Presidency.

Personally I think it's silly anyway because I can't see all the Puerto Ricans who've moved to Florida recently voting Republican anyway.

If they had any sense they'd be bending over backwards to rebuild Puerto Rico.
Old Jan 17th 2018, 6:05 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Originally Posted by Boiler
Sounds like we are now getting immigration reform.
The Republican house bill is a joke and won't go anywhere. Whatever this is isn't going to be some major degree of reform, it's going to be fiddling around the edges. The real sticking point is whether people on DACA can get citizenship, because the Democrats don't want to end sponsorship of parents and that's why the Republicans don't want people on DACA to get citizenship.

My bet in the end is it will be some sort of conditional permanent residency and the only way to get citizenship will be to qualify for it through the regular immigration system.
Old Jan 18th 2018, 11:57 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_
It's not about Texas and it's not purely about Presidential elections either, the Texas congressional map is heavily gerrymandered. Florida and Arizona are the ones they're worried about. If those two States generally went Democratic they would have a tough time getting the votes in the Senate or winning the Presidency.

Personally I think it's silly anyway because I can't see all the Puerto Ricans who've moved to Florida recently voting Republican anyway.

If they had any sense they'd be bending over backwards to rebuild Puerto Rico.
I think you are looking at this with too much tunnel vision. They don't care about a few hundred thousand DACA voters, none of whom are guaranteed to vote Democratic - and voter participation in down-ballot races is far less than at the Presidential level. The politicians know this very well and aren't making any decisions on the basis of trying to predict what these people will do as voters in 20 years.

Moreover theoretical DACA voters are not the only people potentially being added to the Florida and Arizona rolls. "Reagan Democrats" from the Northeast and Upper Midwest who never went back to the Democrats are retiring and keep moving down in droves.

The electoral patterns in Florida and Arizona haven't changed much in a generation, except there are fewer Democrats in higher office in both now (despite both states being more Hispanic now, than then). A generation ago at least Arizona had Dennis DeConcini and Janet Napolitano, and Florida had Lawton Chiles and Bob Graham.

Florida remains what it was 25 years ago - a 50/50 state that tips whatever way the national wind is blowing. Arizona remains what it was 25 years ago - a state that's winnable when there is a Strong Democrat / Weak Republican combination, like in 1996.

Legalising a million or so Dreamers isn't going to change any of that, at any electoral level.
Old Jan 18th 2018, 10:49 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Legalising a million or so Dreamers isn't going to change any of that, at any electoral level.
Yes it will, as I said directly above in #22, because it's not just about them, if they get citizenship they can sponsor in their parents and that's millions more and that will change the outcome of elections in Arizona, Nevada and Florida. And it wouldn't be 20 years down the road necessarily either.

This is the main reason the Republicans oppose it, you only have to read the legislation they've introduced which makes parents of US citizens a non-immigrant category that has to be renewed every 5 years.

Republicans moving down from the midwest and northeast isn't going to make any difference given that NY, NJ, IL and various other States usually go Democratic in statewide elections and Ohio for example is a swing State.

Last edited by Steve_; Jan 18th 2018 at 10:52 pm.
Old Jan 18th 2018, 11:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

The parents will be even less inclined to vote than the kids.

If these are such guaranteed Democratic votes, why haven't the Democrats been more successful in Florida and Arizona?

To the extent that this is about voters at all, it is about existing voters, and the Republicans not wanting to tick off the social-conservative crazies in their base who might primary them, and the Democrats not wanting to tick off their base in Silicon Valley who can fund a primary challenge to them. Neither side gives a hoot about Dreamers themselves, nor are they engaging in a senseless game of trying to predict an Arizona House race a decade from now.
Old Jan 19th 2018, 4:58 pm
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute

All I know is I'm getting furloughed on Monday. Thanks Democrats.
Old Jan 19th 2018, 5:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Octang Frye
DACA is only an issue because Trump chose to make it a bargaining chip for his stupid wall. I also see a few republican senators are purportedly voting against this deal.
Old Jan 19th 2018, 5:20 pm
Account Closed

Hopefully everybody here has contacted the Senator and told them to pass the bill.
Old Jan 19th 2018, 5:21 pm
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute

"But Trump..."

Please, give it a rest.
Old Jan 19th 2018, 5:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

"But Trump..."

Please, give it a rest.
Please, tell me why my comment is inaccurate...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.