Commute Times

Old Nov 14th 2017, 5:12 am
Banned

dc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Commute Times

There's no such things as commute times in greater LA. you're either dead lucky or extremely unlucky.

One of the many joys upon retirement. No driving weekdays on the freeways
Old Nov 14th 2017, 12:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Owen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond repute

In London, my commute was 45 minutes: 10 minutes walk, 25 minutes train, then 10 minutes walk, each way. It was a nice journey - I travelled against the flow, and the walk from the station to work was along a leafy avenue.

When I first arrived in the US, it got much worse. About the same time, but mostly driving on a busy freeway surrounded by aggressive Houston drivers. These days, though, my company has moved offices, and it's 12 miles in about half an hour, entirely on local roads. I'm lucky.
Old Nov 14th 2017, 4:18 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Glad I don't commute from the eastern suburbs, today's commute from Abbotsford to Vancouver is taking nearly 90 mins. Its about a 40 mile trek.
Old Nov 14th 2017, 4:32 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Glad I don't commute from the eastern suburbs, today's commute from Abbotsford to Vancouver is taking nearly 90 mins. Its about a 40 mile trek.
Ah, fun. It takes me about 1:45 to get to Chicago when I'm doing my inventory run, if I set off just after 7. It's a tradeoff for not having to get up at 5am though, which I'm fine with.
Old Nov 14th 2017, 7:06 pm
Forum Regular

MorsePacific has much to be proud ofMorsePacific has much to be proud ofMorsePacific has much to be proud ofMorsePacific has much to be proud ofMorsePacific has much to be proud ofMorsePacific has much to be proud ofMorsePacific has much to be proud ofMorsePacific has much to be proud ofMorsePacific has much to be proud ofMorsePacific has much to be proud ofMorsePacific has much to be proud of

My commute was the study to the kitchen, or about 50 minutes door to door on the bus if I went into the office. South East London to Liverpool Street.

I went from that to Bayside in Queens, working at Bryant Park, Midtown NYC. It's about 50 minutes door to door too - 30 minutes of train and 20 minutes of walking.
Old Nov 15th 2017, 1:36 am
Forum Regular

tennesseestud has a reputation beyond reputetennesseestud has a reputation beyond reputetennesseestud has a reputation beyond reputetennesseestud has a reputation beyond reputetennesseestud has a reputation beyond reputetennesseestud has a reputation beyond reputetennesseestud has a reputation beyond reputetennesseestud has a reputation beyond reputetennesseestud has a reputation beyond reputetennesseestud has a reputation beyond reputetennesseestud has a reputation beyond repute

Nashville is fast becoming Atlanta. I was carpooling until recently with a mix of WFH.

I have had a battle with sleepiness and drowsy driving since before moving here. Challenged with having my licence revoked before I left, unable to get it back because of the EU residency laws of 185 days per year in the UK. Have recently been treated and cured ... The NHS misdiagnosed and Vanderbilt have been amazing at getting the right diagnosis and treatment I need. I'm studying for my permit and look forward to joining and contributing to the American cancer of traffic.

So I currently get the bus. It's a hard knock life. Back home in The Midlands we actually had a working public transportation system.

Oh my gosh! Third world public transit or what!! My 9 mile commute takes 90 minutes. Our mayor is asking us to vote on raising sales tax to pay for new transit options and upgrades however ... I ain't a citizen so I can't vote.

We also have an issue with lack of sidewalks (pavements) so I have to walk on grass verges which is just awesome when you work in an office.

Last edited by tennesseestud; Nov 15th 2017 at 1:41 am.
Old Nov 16th 2017, 3:23 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

At the moment, it's not bad as the road works in front of where the missus works is finishing up for the season, but when it was in full swing, it meant a detour of going a couple of blocks parallel and then out and around, so a 10 min drive was almost doubled and the difference of dropping her off before 7:33 v after, would mean either a 10 min drive back or a half hour because you then got stuck behind the school buses stopping along the condo's. Going the other way around was a no goer as the bridge was down, but that's been reopened so it's not quite so bad for the winter.

When we lived in a previous town, the missus worked a couple of miles away, a bit less, but on a main road so couldn't walk it and it was 25 mins to get there in the morning. Also, 13 mile drive into Boston would take almost an hour.
Old Nov 28th 2017, 4:51 am

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Managed to leave a gym at 4.15pm on Friday, in Leeds City Centre. 1 hour to do the 20 miles to Wakefield. M1 was fine, it was the 2 miles to get on it that were the problem.