British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Trailer Park (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/)
-   -   comfort food (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/comfort-food-889892/)

petitefrancaise Jan 10th 2017 4:28 pm

comfort food

Yesterday I was feeling a bit under the weather and so prepared for a "duvet day"/Pyjama day or whatever you call it. There were a whole load of "Silent Witness" episodes that I had missed as well.

I'd made "cassoulet" last week for the first time ever (we always bought it in France), there was a huge load of it left over and so I ate that for lunch cuddled up under my blankets. It was heavenly. A few days of being left alone in the fat/juices and the flavours were warm and comforting.
I really think up until yesterday that I'd have answered "chocolate" as my answer to comfort food.

What's yours?

Owen778 Jan 10th 2017 4:55 pm

Re: comfort food

Millionaires (chocolate caramel) shortbread
Lemon bars
Good bread and cheese
Cottage pie

Just_Joy Jan 10th 2017 4:58 pm

Anything with mashed potatoes and gravy

jambey2510 Jan 10th 2017 5:00 pm

Chocolate cake, specifically portillos. I ate three slices of it during a duvet day with the OH. (yeah, I went to the drive thru three times for it).

tom169 Jan 10th 2017 5:07 pm

Tunnock's caramel wafers from the world market :amen:

(dunno why I wrote walkers)

Amie06 Jan 10th 2017 5:39 pm

Case of Buds :-)

Nutek Jan 10th 2017 5:47 pm

Originally Posted by Owen778 (Post 12148196)
Millionaires (chocolate caramel) shortbread
Lemon bars
Good bread and cheese
Cottage pie

None of which would have been on my immediate list and yet, now I see it here, I want all of this. :)

Owen778 Jan 10th 2017 8:26 pm

Originally Posted by Nutek (Post 12148264)
None of which would have been on my immediate list and yet, now I see it here, I want all of this. :)

It is not a co-incidence that my wife makes most of these things really well.

tonrob Jan 10th 2017 8:58 pm

Sprouts.

Sprout vindaloo if I have a cold.

petitefrancaise Jan 11th 2017 1:37 am

Originally Posted by tonrob (Post 12148517)
Sprouts.

Sprout vindaloo if I have a cold.

:sick:

lizzyq Jan 11th 2017 1:44 am

When in Wegman's yesterday I noticed that the young woman behind me at the checkout was purchasing a couple of cans of UK Heinz Spaghetti Hoops so turned to her and said "I haven't seen anybody other than me buying spaghetti hoops before", she looked at me in bewildered shock and replied that she didn't speak German! I was somewhat taken aback and, to her obvious relief, repeated myself in slower English, explaining that they were UK comfort food.

md95065 Jan 11th 2017 4:31 am

Poutine.

jambey2510 Jan 11th 2017 10:30 am

gravy and chips is also one.

A British pub nearby do pie and mash with gravy, and I always ask for a large portion of steak cut fries and for them to give me a pot of the gravy from the pie and mash meal. At first they were bewildered and didn't understand why (are they really a British pub!?), but I've done it so often now they don't bat an eyelid. The look I got the first time I instantly dumped all the gravy over my steak cut fries was funny, both from my OH and the server!

Bob Jan 11th 2017 3:21 pm

Sheppard's pie, now that we're able to get good minced lamb.

Chicken pot pie.

Pasties.

Kids and the missus seem to go for mac and cheese.

ChocolateBabz Jan 11th 2017 3:30 pm

Macaroni Cheese