Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Colorado Traffic Court

Colorado Traffic Court

Old Dec 20th 2014, 1:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Mrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond repute
Default Colorado Traffic Court

So...... One day about six weeks ago I was backing out of my driveway, nobody coming in either direction, backed out and "thunk". I'd hit something. I'd hit my opposite neighbor who was also backing out of their driveway. It was their eighteen year old kid. There was very little damage to either vehicle, a dent in mine and a small scrape to theirs. However it's noticeable.

Prior to backing out their car was in the driveway.

So, as we were exchanging insurance information (it was the mothers car and she had been present) and were going to leave the "scene" the father of the eighteen year old kid runs across the street and demands the cops be called. He has been speaking to the woman who lives next door to him and she says it's all my fault. Prior to his everything had been cordial and nobody was accepting responsibility.

So I wait. And then I finally call the cops because it seems to be taking forever and you can't leave the scene of an accident. The dispatch person says that someone is on their way and asks me if the other party is threatening me. I tell them no, other than the father of the kid is adamant they come And the dispatch person says "yes because unless someone is injured there is no reason for us to come. They don't need to do this so it isn't a priority. Just be patient and wait"

So I get a ticket for "illegal backing". The cop didn't talk to me at all, other than to have me sign some forms that I would appear in court. He did spend a lot of time with the witness.

I get to court and meet with the DA who says "uh well any time the cops are called to an accident they have to give someone a ticket". He tells me to plead guilty to a broken windshield which is a $50 fine and no points on my license, so of course I accept.

I did ask him what the witness statement said and some of it was word for word what was repeated to me from the father of the eighteen year old kid. As he was reading the witness statement he began to say "Nya nya nya you can just hear her, cant you?" Which was odd.

I'm not quite sure why I'm posting this other to say that in 22 years of driving in any country I have never been to traffic court. I didn't know they plea bargained traffic court. And I didn't realize the experience would be so weird.
Old Dec 20th 2014, 2:53 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Colorado Traffic Court

I've only ever been involved in car accident in California, but they certainly don't do the if the cops are called someone must get a ticket thing. I was involved in 1 accident there, at fault but the cops didn't ticket me for anything, something about if they didn't witness it, they can't ticket or something of that nature. ( I apparently ran a red light, although I don't recall seeing a red light)

Never had to go to court though since no ticket was issued and no charges filed.

The situation you describe sounds most bizarre though. I know around here in such a minor accident, the cops would not come at all, they won't waste time on minor accidents with no injury and minimal damage.
Old Dec 20th 2014, 5:24 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

They do not have to give a ticket.
Old Dec 20th 2014, 5:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
They do not have to give a ticket.
They do if they want to pay for the policeman's time.
Old Dec 20th 2014, 1:20 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe you could get mirrors fitted to your car?

Based on your description it appears to be an observable fact that you were not using your mirrors. You should be thankful that it was the family's older teenager in a car, not their toddler who ran into the road, that you backed into.
Old Dec 20th 2014, 1:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

What a ridunculous thing to say, P!

If BOTH parties are backing out of their driveway and they clunk in the middle, how can it be anything BUT the fault of both drivers?
Old Dec 20th 2014, 2:28 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Guindalf
What a ridunculous thing to say, P!

If BOTH parties are backing out of their driveway and they clunk in the middle, how can it be anything BUT the fault of both drivers?
Agreed, both drivers could be at fault. I experience a very similar scenario fairly often in parking lots, when I am backing out of a space at the same time as someone else also backing out. But as I am using my mirrors in the vehicle, and see the reversing lights and act accordingly. Either stopping to let them go first, or if I am already further advanced in my manoeuvre a quick toot on the horn to alert the other driver.

I would guess based on the description that the OP backed into the corner/ side of the other vehicle as it was a little further advanced. But in any case what is described very obviously states that she was not using her mirrors effectively. That the other driver also wasn't doesn't excuse her not doing so either, so as I said, she is dämn lucky it was a neighbour's child she backed over.

Last edited by Pulaski; Dec 20th 2014 at 4:28 pm.
Old Dec 20th 2014, 3:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

Oh excuse me. I must've had a brain fart.

I forgot for a moment that you were perfect!

Old Dec 20th 2014, 4:23 pm

Originally Posted by Guindalf
Oh excuse me. I must've had a brain fart.

I forgot for a moment that you were perfect! ....
Probably not, though I will concede it is possible. But I do know that the shiny crystal ornaments above the windscreen and on each door also have a practical use.

X
Originally Posted by Pulaski
...., she is dämn lucky it wasn't a neighbour's child she backed over.
Just found a typo.

Last edited by Pulaski; Dec 20th 2014 at 4:34 pm.
Old Dec 20th 2014, 4:24 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Agreed, both drivers could be at fault. I experience a very similar scenario fairly often in parking lots, when I am backing out of a space at the same time as someone else also backing out. But as I am using my mirrors I the vehicle, and see the reversing lights and act accordingly. Either stopping to let them go first, or if I am already further advanced in my manoeuvre a quick toot on the horn to alert them.

I would guess based on the description that the OP backed into the corner/ side of the other vehicle as it was a little further advanced. But in any case what is described very obviously states that she was not using her mirrors effectively. That the other driver also wasn't doesn't excuse her not doing so either, so as I said, she is dämn lucky it was a neighbour's child she backed over.
Nope, it should be 50/50
Old Dec 20th 2014, 4:37 pm

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
Nope, it should be 50/50
Subject to exactly how/where the contact occurred, I agree, both at fault, blame shared. .... At very least the other driver should have used his horn to alert Mrs Danvers of his position.
Old Dec 20th 2014, 4:46 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Subject to exactly how/where the contact occurred, I agree, both at fault, blame shared. .... At very least the other driver should have used his horn to alert Mrs Danvers of his position.
Perhaps he hadn't any mirrors either..
Old Dec 20th 2014, 5:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

Mirrors aren't much good if the driveways both slope anything more than moderately. Same for rear view cameras.
Old Dec 20th 2014, 5:46 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

The clue here is "18year old driver".

Daddy didn't want anything on the insurance that would up the liability, hence the reason he called the cops and suddenly produced another neighbor as a witness to say Mrs D was at fault.

Well that would be my take on the situation
Old Dec 20th 2014, 11:30 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
Nope, it should be 50/50
Unless it's an at fault state, then it's your fault regardless. Which sucks :/

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.