Returning to school

Old Jun 18th 2018, 1:58 pm
Just Joined

yahooo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Returning to school

First off, let me start by briefly mentioning that I arrived to Southern California when I was 23 and got married a month later. 3 years of amazing marriage later my wife and her family help me immensely to look into universities. Found an amazing one who offers the exact program I want (medical field). I just have to attend a community college to complete the lengthy prerequisites.

So now I'm 26 and about to start community college here! Today! It's all a bit nerve-racking. I mean, I have a degree from the UK which helped me immensely with my previous jobs, but as of recent have decided to pursue a career in medicine.

Has anyone else had any other similar experiences? Am I going to be the oldest there? Yikes! I've got a couple of classes for the summer semester as we're only able to do so many within a short period of time. I'm doing Math & Health.
Old Jun 18th 2018, 2:08 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Returning to school

Not in the US, but I work in a hospital where a few years ago one of our junior doctors was in his 40s. He had a very successful teaching career but decided in his 30s to get a medical degree. He's now a cardiologist working in a very busy practice.
Old Jun 21st 2018, 9:03 pm

thinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond repute

My wife went back to school in her late 30's and graduated in her 40's. It is never too late to go back to school. We just opened our custom built 24/7 emergency hospital in May. I'm now the Hospital Administrator and my wife is semi-retired at 52.

Old Jun 22nd 2018, 9:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

ddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond repute

Thinbrit
Great looking facility. In Texas?
OP
Your age will be an asset as you continue your education. I started college late (after four years in Air Force) and was more mature and done much better than if I had started right after HS.
Old Jun 22nd 2018, 11:15 pm

thinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ddsrph
Thinbrit
Great looking facility. In Texas?
Thank you. It took me almost 2 years to design it after visiting many animal ER's across the US, then 6 months for the architect to fine tune my layout, create the blueprints and make it ADA compliant, and just 7 months to build.
We are on i35W, a few miles south of i20 in Fort Worth Texas. We started off in a rented 1,700 sq ft strip mall space in 2013. I was originally looking to lease a bigger space in 2015 but found this 1.3 acres plot of land for sale on i35W. The land is right next door to a Baylor Emergency hospital. After doing the math on leasing 5,000 sq ft (they wanted $11,000 a month) or building my own space, it was a no brainier to build.
Late November 2017 it was just a flat piece of dirt

Last edited by thinbrit; Jun 22nd 2018 at 11:19 pm.
Old Jun 22nd 2018, 11:16 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by thinbrit
Thank you. It took me almost 2 years to design it after visiting many animal ER's across the US, then 6 months for the architect to fine tune my layout, create the blueprints and make it ADA compliant, and just 7 months to build.
We are on i35W, a few miles south of i20 in Fort Worth Texas. We started off in a rented 1,700 sq ft strip mall space in 2013. I was originally looking to lease a bigger space in 2015 but found this 1.3 acres plot of land for sale on i35W. After doing the math on leasing 5,000 sq ft (they wanted $11,000 a month) or building my own space, it was a no brainier to build.
Nice to see you D.

Looks fantastic. Glad it’s all come together for you.
Old Jun 24th 2018, 5:50 am
BE Practitioner (Level 2)

username.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond repute

It's never, ever too late if you have the drive.

I spent my twenties travelling the world and working for NGOs. In my late twenties and thirties I knuckled down and have enjoyed a good career in a traditional business field.
As I approach my forties, I'm bored again and ready to try my hand at something else. I'm actively self-studying certifications in the evening and may go back to college part time, if that's what it takes. (But I enjoy studying and would rather test myself than be bored for my entire working life).

And I'll probably get bored again in ten years' time too
Old Jun 24th 2018, 11:09 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

At 26 you certainly wont be the oldest in class especially at the community college level in California, you will likely be in the middle of the road. Depending on classes being taken you may have an instructor who is younger then you though.

In California indeed the old saying your never too old to go back to school is true, they make it easy with the community college system with low cost tuition and schedules that include evening and part-time options which makes it easier for working adults looking to gain education/skills for better employment.

Good luck in your studies.
Old Jun 25th 2018, 5:58 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

My wife went back to school in her late 30's and graduated in her 40's. It is never too late to go back to school. We just opened our custom built 24/7 emergency hospital in May. I'm now the Hospital Administrator and my wife is semi-retired at 52.

Is she a vet as well? or rather did she go back to school in her late 30's to become a vet?
Nice looking animal hospital, very comforting atmosphere.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Jun 25th 2018 at 6:01 pm.
Old Jun 26th 2018, 12:55 am

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Is she a vet as well? or rather did she go back to school in her late 30's to become a vet?
Nice looking animal hospital, very comforting atmosphere.
She went back to school to become a vet, graduated in 2007. She did her undergrad at UNT and then went on to Texas A&M. She started all this at 39.
Old Jun 26th 2018, 4:20 pm
Account Closed

She went back to school to become a vet, graduated in 2007. She did her undergrad at UNT and then went on to Texas A&M. She started all this at 39.
Pretty impressive she could semi-retire so quickly.

If i was better in academics, I would have liked to have become a veterinarian, but would have liked to work at a Zoo with exotics and not everyday pets.