Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Charlie Gard granted U.S Citizenship by congress

Charlie Gard granted U.S Citizenship by congress

Old Jul 21st 2017, 3:26 am
BE Forum Addict

PetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Charlie Gard granted U.S Citizenship by congress

Originally Posted by kimilseung
"religious beliefs of the parents"
I was hoping you could tell me what the religious beliefs of the parents are.
Was this an edit? Sorry, no links, I could post one to support my claim, or one to refute it, it's not worth my time or effort to do either.
Old Jul 21st 2017, 3:27 am
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PetrifiedExPat
The parents. I am not a fan of providing links since one can be found to suit any purpose.. In order to fully defend the point I would have to post links to dozens of sources. It's just best people look for themselves.

Full disclosure though, when it comes to medical decisions (or any other matter), I consider religion pure evil (personal opinion, I accept the right of others to feel differently).
If you cant back it up, best to not say it in the first place.
Old Jul 21st 2017, 3:31 am
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

I feel so unbelievably sorry for the parents.

My baby was seriously ill after her birth and at one point the drs told me that they had done everything they could, that now it was up to her and she would either live or die in the next 24 hours. She lived. All I can say is that I was numb. That was an awful experience and I wouldn't wish it on anyone. BUT it was beyond my control, everyone had done all they could and no-one was offering a different scenario. I can totally understand why these parents want to do everything they possibly can to avoid being responsible for ending their baby's life. That is an abyss I would run away from too.
Old Jul 21st 2017, 3:34 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

The poor child's life should be terminated (edit: end of life support, nothing more), humanely, as soon as possible. Sorry to be clinical but thats my nature. We can debate of course what is humane, in which case if I was dissuaded my suggestion would not be possible.
I'm not talking about what is humane...hell I wouldn't put my dog through this. What I am saying is...unless you have walked a mile in their shoes you/we/anyone has no idea as to what lengths we would take.
Old Jul 21st 2017, 3:35 am
BE Forum Addict

PetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond repute

If you cant back it up, best to not say it in the first place.
Thanks for missing the point, touched a nerve?

There is not a link that I am aware of that can not be refuted by the other side of the matter (by another said link). There really is no point.

I am deeply suspicious of most sources, even to the extent where I know my own opinion could be based on false information. I believe thats the world we live in.
Old Jul 21st 2017, 3:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I'm not talking about what is humane...hell I wouldn't put my dog through this. What I am saying is...unless you have walked a mile in their shoes you/we/anyone has no idea as to what lengths we would take.
With this current condition, I will disagree, but, concerning the overall sentiment I do see your point of view.

Last edited by PetrifiedExPat; Jul 21st 2017 at 3:45 am.
Old Jul 21st 2017, 4:00 am
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for missing the point, touched a nerve?

There is not a link that I am aware of that can not be refuted by the other side of the matter (by another said link). There really is no point.

I am deeply suspicious of most sources, even to the extent where I know my own opinion could be based on false information. I believe thats the world we live in.
You are telling me that there are links that you can find that give contradictory claims on what the parents religious beliefs are. How about you just provide one of these opinions.
Old Jul 21st 2017, 4:10 am
Banned

Twinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond repute

Was this an edit? Sorry, no links, I could post one to support my claim, or one to refute it, it's not worth my time or effort to do either.
It was just a simple question as to what religion the parents subscribe to, and I was also hoping for a simple answer such as "Pentecostal" or "bhuddist" or whatever. It wasn't about debating religion or ethics. It's just that you mentioned the parents' religious beliefs and so far I cannot recall any news article that mentioned anything about the parents having any specific beliefs.

Are they catholic (hence the involvement of the Vatican)?
Old Jul 21st 2017, 4:18 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

I cannot find anything to suggest the parents have any particular religious belief or have cited this as a reason .

From the Telegraph 18th July 2017
Today Dr Michio Hirano, an American neurologist, who claims to have pioneered an experimental treatment he says can help Charlie, will examine the boy after flying in from New York.
He has flip flopped somewhat so lets hope he doesn't flip flop now either way.

There is no way to know if this one year old is suffering pain or immense discomfort. Brain damage doesn't inure against pain receptors delivering pain messages. Just because the child doesn't move because he cannot. Doesn't cry because he cannot doesn't mean that he is resting peacefully. He is

I don't think anyone here is damning the parents for their stance .

What has been damned as contemptible is the interference of Trump and his ilk for using this dreadful suffering for political point scoring.
Old Jul 21st 2017, 4:23 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
I cannot find anything to suggest the parents have any particular religious belief or have cited this as a reason .

From the Telegraph 18th July 2017

He has flip flopped somewhat so lets hope he doesn't flip flop now either way.

There is no way to know if this one year old is suffering pain or immense discomfort. Brain damage doesn't inure against pain receptors delivering pain messages. Just because the child doesn't move because he cannot. Doesn't cry because he cannot doesn't mean that he is resting peacefully. He is

I don't think anyone here is damning the parents for their stance .

What has been damned as contemptible is the interference of Trump and his ilk for using this dreadful suffering for political point scoring.
I agree..Trump etc is looking to gain Brownie points...what about The Pope? Shame on all of them.

But from a parent's point of view...the more publicity the better...
Old Jul 21st 2017, 4:26 am
He/him

Originally Posted by Twinkle0927
It was just a simple question as to what religion the parents subscribe to, and I was also hoping for a simple answer such as "Pentecostal" or "bhuddist" or whatever. It wasn't about debating religion or ethics. It's just that you mentioned the parents' religious beliefs and so far I cannot recall any news article that mentioned anything about the parents having any specific beliefs.

Are they catholic (hence the involvement of the Vatican)?
Some anti-abortion fundy from America also got involved (also included raising money, in the interests of fairness), it seems that religious people of many kinds have band wagon jumped. But I have seen nothing about the parents themselves.
Old Jul 21st 2017, 4:28 am
He/him

On reflection, you have not actually made a claim yet, regarding their religion, just a vague generalization, that they have one..
Old Jul 21st 2017, 4:38 am
`

I agree..Trump etc is looking to gain Brownie points...what about The Pope? Shame on all of them.
Trump and cronies are using it to diss the NHS ( social health care) level of care because of their wishing to trash the US ACA.

The Pope and catholic church on the grounds that all (human) life including that of embryos is sacred .

Difference I suppose is that one is sincere in his beliefs. The other utterly cynically disingenuous.

That the pope extended this offer does make one wonder if this has travelled up from local catholic church priest to the Vatican. In other words , are the parents catholic perhaps. Not that their faith has much bearing on their wish to keep their child alive at all or any cost. That comes from their hearts.

edit to add --

Ah! Apparently the mother wrote to the Pope directly asking for his help.
She also believes the experimental therapy could possibly cure her son to 'lead a normal life'
She said: "There is potential for him to be a completely normal boy but we don’t know, you just don’t know until you try. There’s 18 people on this medication already. The only side effect is diarrhoea. There’s been some amazing responses very, very quickly."

Last edited by BEVS; Jul 21st 2017 at 4:49 am.
Old Jul 21st 2017, 6:19 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
Trump and cronies are using it to diss the NHS ( social health care) level of care because of their wishing to trash the US ACA.

The Pope and catholic church on the grounds that all (human) life including that of embryos is sacred .

Difference I suppose is that one is sincere in his beliefs. The other utterly cynically disingenuous.

That the pope extended this offer does make one wonder if this has travelled up from local catholic church priest to the Vatican. In other words , are the parents catholic perhaps. Not that their faith has much bearing on their wish to keep their child alive at all or any cost. That comes from their hearts.

edit to add --

Ah! Apparently the mother wrote to the Pope directly asking for his help.
She also believes the experimental therapy could possibly cure her son to 'lead a normal life'
Until the Pope entered the arena the issue of religion had not been raised at all. Many parents who reach out to the media, and the wider world of social media, invoke their religious beliefs, but in this case the family have not brought that into it at all. The facebook campaign page has many people calling on various gods to intervene, but they are posts from outsiders, not from the family. Any religious beliefs they have are a private matter and they haven't aired them in public.
Old Jul 21st 2017, 6:50 am
`

. But I have seen nothing about the parents themselves.
Originally Posted by Pollyana
Many parents who reach out to the media, and the wider world of social media, invoke their religious beliefs, but in this case the family have not brought that into it at all.
Yes, I can't find anything to suggest this of the parents.

Writing to the Pope was simply another avenue to bring hope & help IMO.

I once wrote to a medical expert at Stamford University about my Mum on the strength of an article I read in passing in some magazine like New Scientist. When he came to the UK, which at that time I did not know was on the cards, he took her on and she did trial some treatments.

I dunno. A part of me thinks that the wee lad has now been on life support for 10 months or so. Three months for this trial therapy is simply 12 more weeks on life support, which may happen anyway given the current legal fight and media circus, so give that to him somehow at GOSH in the UK provided it is absolutely known that he is not currently suffering & will not suffer from this.

His Mother has also stated that he went downhill fast after the hospital refused her to breastfeed him. That her milk would have slowed his condition.

It is all a right mess. Let's hope that the next few days does bring action for this little lad one way or another.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.