Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Car insurance, driving other cars.

Car insurance, driving other cars.

Old Mar 20th 2018, 3:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Harveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Car insurance, driving other cars.

We are expecting our first child in June (woohoo) and my mother in law is coming over to stay with us for a month or two to help us out. As she is flying from Idaho she wont have her car so I'm looking at adding her to our insurance bet before I do I remembered that in the UK usually if you were fully comp you could drive other cars with 3rd party cover. Is there something similar here?
Old Mar 20th 2018, 3:06 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Car insurance, driving other cars.

Originally Posted by Harveyspecter
We are expecting our first child in June (woohoo) and my mother in law is coming over to stay with us for a month or two to help us out. As she is flying from Idaho she wont have her car so I'm looking at adding her to our insurance bet before I do I remembered that in the UK usually if you were fully comp you could drive other cars with 3rd party cover. Is there something similar here?
Congratulations on the impending little one! Why not ask your insurance carrier with regard to your policy? Insurance most often covers the specific vehicle in the US.
Old Mar 20th 2018, 3:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

BenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond repute

Think this was covered a little while ago in a similar thread.

As above, check with your insurance provider/agent and they’ll be able to give you the correct answer that are directly relevant to you and your insurance policy
Old Mar 20th 2018, 3:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Harveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
Congratulations on the impending little one! Why not ask your insurance carrier with regard to your policy? Insurance most often covers the specific vehicle in the US.
Thank you! Oh yes of course I forgot, they work a bit different here to back in the UK. I did ask them and they said to get her details and they can quote me, I was just making sure I hadn't missed a trick.

Originally Posted by BenK91
Think this was covered a little while ago in a similar thread.

As above, check with your insurance provider/agent and they’ll be able to give you the correct answer that are directly relevant to you and your insurance policy
Thanks
Old Mar 20th 2018, 3:28 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations. What a lot of changes in your life and lifestyles since you first moved there not so long again. Now a little Harvey or Harveyette will make an appearance.

My policies always had a clause for uninsured drivers but the advice above is good. The best one to tell you is your insurance company and/or insurance agent if you went that route. Ask MIL if she will feel comfortable driving in the US on what is considered the wrong side of the road in the US and on streets she is unfamiliar with.
Old Mar 20th 2018, 3:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks Rete. This is my MIL, who is a USC. Not my mother....I love her but no way would I let her drive my car!
Old Mar 20th 2018, 4:11 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Harveyspecter
Thanks Rete. This is my MIL, who is a USC. Not my mother....I love her but no way would I let her drive my car!
Gotcha!

I often lent my car to my daughters to drive when their vehicles were at the service center as I didn't require it to get to work. Never had an issue with my insurance company. One actually got a ticket while driving my car and gave the officer my insurance card and they were fine with her driving a borrowed vehicle.

Last edited by Rete; Mar 20th 2018 at 4:13 pm.
Old Mar 20th 2018, 4:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

BenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
Gotcha!

I often lent my car to my daughters to drive when their vehicles were at the service center as I didn't require it to get to work. Never had an issue with my insurance company. One actually got a ticket while driving my car and gave the officer my insurance card and they were fine with her driving a borrowed vehicle.
Bet you were chuffed about that!
Old Apr 11th 2018, 4:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

My insurance will cover other drivers with basic coverage. However other drivers are not included in the full coverage portion of the insurance.

On a side note, I was looking at changing cars , has anyone found a table that shows insurance ratings of different vehicles.

This is the best I have found so far.

https://www.statefarm.com/simple-ins...urance-ratings
Old Apr 11th 2018, 10:53 pm
Forum Regular

plasticbag_uk has a reputation beyond reputeplasticbag_uk has a reputation beyond reputeplasticbag_uk has a reputation beyond reputeplasticbag_uk has a reputation beyond reputeplasticbag_uk has a reputation beyond reputeplasticbag_uk has a reputation beyond reputeplasticbag_uk has a reputation beyond reputeplasticbag_uk has a reputation beyond reputeplasticbag_uk has a reputation beyond reputeplasticbag_uk has a reputation beyond reputeplasticbag_uk has a reputation beyond repute

In most cases your insurance covers you when driving another vehicle, I have been stopped and checked by state police a few times due to a lamp being out or some other small problem, when I have informed them that it's a relative's car they do not even question the insurance and my insurers informed me that I am covered in any other car.