Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Buying a Used Discovery 3 / LR3 in the US.

Buying a Used Discovery 3 / LR3 in the US.

Old Mar 20th 2018, 2:02 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Buying a Used Discovery 3 / LR3 in the US.

Originally Posted by BenK91
it does the job, I only wanted it to put a motocross bike in the back! No one needs a Silverado or truck that size unless they're looking to make up for something .
Or they pull trailers frequently... I honestly think that the more important issue for having a larger veichle these days is safety. My wifes Fusion would have little chance of surviving if I hit her in my F150 at 60 mph.

She's getting an SUV next time - she doesn't have a choice
Old Mar 20th 2018, 2:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

BenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by civilservant
Or they pull trailers frequently... I honestly think that the more important issue for having a larger veichle these days is safety. My wifes Fusion would have little chance of surviving if I hit her in my F150 at 60 mph.

She's getting an SUV next time - she doesn't have a choice
To be fair another reason we went for the Colorado over anything else was the size was actually a problem. A lot of parking in Denver and Boulder is on street parking and even driving something small like my wife’s Mini Cooper, it’s hard to find a space!

I think the towing capacity for the Colorado is fairly good for its size. It’d tow whatever I needed!

OP, buy a truck!
Old Mar 20th 2018, 4:49 pm
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute

I do like Land Rovers - the military ones, the Defenders etc.
Just not a fan of the Discovery or Range Rovers.

That said, it's horses for courses - we're into Ural motorcycles, some of the most breakdown-worthy vehicles ever invented. They're a blast when they're running!
Old Mar 20th 2018, 5:49 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Octang Frye
The Defenders are cool but I can't for the life of me see why anyone would want a Lanroval when you can get Toyota quality.
Remember when Top Gear was filming in Australia and they ditched their Range Rovers to use Land Cruisers?
Maybe for a similar reason I choose Grand Cherokees over the 4 Runner. More powerful engines and smoother transmissions.
Old Mar 20th 2018, 10:01 pm
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute

I haven't been in a Grand Cherokee other than the jelly mould versions. Nice but engine seemed thirsty. I've rented a couple of the four door Wranglers and had fun in those. A lot of road noise though.

My wife did NGO work in Africa, Myanmar and Cambodia. She said that was all Toyota.
I've been around Africa a bit. Other than in Botswana, where we had a safari conversion LWB Land Rover, I'd say 85% of the SUVs were Land Cruisers or Toyota pickups converted into safari vehicles. There were a handful of Land Rovers.

Again, don't get me wrong. I know the aluminium body on a Land Rover can be unbolted from the steel chassis really quickly. I know the history of the Pink Panthers.
I like them both. Just think Toyota has the edge in reliability.
Old Mar 20th 2018, 10:02 pm
Peace onion

I haven't been in a Grand Cherokee other than the jelly mould versions. Nice but engine seemed thirsty. I've rented a couple of the four door Wranglers and had fun in those. A lot of road noise though.

My wife did NGO work in Africa, Myanmar and Cambodia. She said that was all Toyota.
I've been around Africa a bit. Other than in Botswana, where we had a safari conversion LWB Land Rover, I'd say 85% of the SUVs were Land Cruisers or Toyota pickups converted into safari vehicles. There were a handful of Land Rovers.

Again, don't get me wrong. I know the aluminium body on a Land Rover can be unbolted from the steel chassis really quickly. I know the history of the Pink Panthers.
Old Mar 20th 2018, 10:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BenK91
it does the job, I only wanted it to put a motocross bike in the back! No one needs a Silverado or truck that size unless they're looking to make up for something .
Oi, some of us use larger trucks for hauling stuff everywhere. I had 24' lengths of aluminium in the back of the 6'6" bed Tundra last week (should probably buy me a red flag )...
Old Mar 20th 2018, 10:46 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

The Jeep V8 engines are a bit thirsty but I knew that when I bought them so no worries. I did try a 4Runner but just didn't like the way it drove. We have a Toyota truck and I find that a bit sluggish but it is certainly reliable, only oil changes and annual service for past 5 years. But it needs a better gear box.

My friends in Zimbabwe had an ex Rhodesian Police Land Rover on the farm, so that says how old it was. It started up every time. First time I drove it was hauling the trailer full of tomatoes into the market in Gweru. My friend said you will need to anticipate the brakes a bit they don't always bite. Off I set down the dirt bush roads, and the first junction I come to in town is right by the police station. Anticipating a red light light I apply the brakes, pedal goes right to the floor and I sail right through the red light watched by some of ZRP finest. Mechanical reliability most people there had Land Cruisers but the Land Rovers lasted a lot longer.
Old Mar 20th 2018, 10:54 pm
Peace onion

I love the 50s, 60s Land Rovers.
And I know bad brakes. Our older Ural has drums and basically the brakes are a suggestion. They don't do anything. I got used to that though with 1988 Mustang. Biggest piece of rubbish I've ever owned. Had to start breaking a 1/4 mile before a red light. And join the interstate with a downhill ramp.

I know several people with Willy's Jeeps (two main variants). Most have been converted from 6 volt to 12. But they start every time and so much fun to drive. I would definitely like to get one. Not a highway driver. Perfect for your friend's farm.
Old Mar 20th 2018, 10:55 pm
Peace onion

The Toyotas we had in Africa were non-turbo diesels. That was weird.
Old Mar 21st 2018, 6:30 pm

I know several people with Willy's Jeeps (two main variants). Most have been converted from 6 volt to 12. But they start every time and so much fun to drive. I would definitely like to get one. Not a highway driver. Perfect for your friend's farm.
I'm surprised how cheap they are. 1940s or 50 models in quite good condition go for between $10k to $15K.
Old Mar 24th 2018, 5:02 pm
Boomshacalaca!!

Tarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond repute

I do like Land Rovers - the military ones, the Defenders etc.
Just not a fan of the Discovery or Range Rovers.

That said, it's horses for courses - we're into Ural motorcycles, some of the most breakdown-worthy vehicles ever invented. They're a blast when they're running!
What is astounding is what NAS 110's fetch now .... and D90's for that matter. Not worth the buckets, imo. 110s were only sold in 93 and only 500 were imported, D90s were sold from 93/94 -98 had limited amount per year; came only in white and really are poser vehicles - like MB G-Wagons.

D90s and D1s had the same 3.9L engine and manual ones were not too common and non existent after 96/97; mine was written off before I could convert it to a 300tdi for trail purposes ... which was a hobby back then. PITA yet very fun to drive!
Old Mar 29th 2018, 4:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

I would rather own an FJ over an LR3 . I think they look better and have Toyota reliability.
Old Apr 2nd 2018, 11:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

shiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steveq
Personally, I think the LR3 was where the real end of Landrover as proper off-road vehicles started.

I collect classic Landies, we have two 101FC and a Disco 1 right now. The LR3 is a lifestyle roadcar.
I understand it's a personal opinion but I know more than a few farmers in the UK who use them (and LR4s) as working vehicles with no issue. They are extremely competent cars.
Old Apr 3rd 2018, 1:19 am
BE Forum Addict

zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shiversaint
I understand it's a personal opinion but I know more than a few farmers in the UK who use them (and LR4s) as working vehicles with no issue. They are extremely competent cars.
Agreed
One of my brothers has an LR3 that he uses as a builder's van, it spends a lot of it's time off the public road on building sites and he seems more than happy with it's performance ( we all grew up with 'proper' landies so the bar is set fairly high when it comes to rating off-roaders)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.