Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

To buy or not to buy-Credit history-Mortgage...

To buy or not to buy-Credit history-Mortgage...

Old Jun 8th 2017, 12:42 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: To buy or not to buy-Credit history-Mortgage...

Originally Posted by Asg123
I think you're counting too much on price appreciation. Look what happened 10 to 5 years ago- prices halved in some places. How do you know we're not at a peak now? I wouldn't buy until at least your status becomes clear.
I am not sure where you can rent a $550,000+ home for $1,600. That wouldn't even cover the mortgage on such a property.

The 0.5% for renovation and 0.5% for maintenance is also only half what is usually suggested, and if you buy a new-build even spending 2%pa won't make a 2-5 year old house new again - in other words new build houses have a price premium that you give up when you sell. Personally I would generally prefer to buy a house that "needs a little work" so I can avoid losing money on a new or completely renovated home.

You effectively pay property tax whether you buy or rent. Only a landlord renting short term, before selling, would not set the rent high enough to cover property tax.

All things considered, I sincerely doubt that the break even ownership period would less than five years in anything other than a very "hot" market, which always runs the risk of overheating.

That said, there is a lot to be said for owning your own home, even over 2-3 years, but just be sure to go into the deal knowing that you could easily lose 5% per annum if you only own for 2-3 years, and potentially even more if the price of houses starts to fall. Under those circumstances you could find yourself becoming an involuntary landlord because you are unable to to sell at any acceptable price!

Last edited by Pulaski; Jun 8th 2017 at 12:45 pm.
Old Jun 8th 2017, 2:47 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

The New York times buy vs rent calculator is one I see recommended a lot.
Is It Better to Buy or Rent? - Interactive Graphic - NYTimes.com

It is possible to get a mortgage whilst on a temporary working visa like the L!. The plus points going for you are that usually you are a high income earner. Wells Fargo will check out your UK payment and financial details in lieu of US credit history. They can't access your UK credit history through any of the credit bureaus like equifax so the take all your bank statements, your tax information and previous mortgage payment information. It is amazing how much information a trained eye can get out of a bank statement!
I wouldn't buy on an L1 though. We started the process on an L1 but green cards had been applied for and we didn't sign anything until those cards were in our grubby little paws.
Old Jun 12th 2017, 11:15 pm
Just Joined

bobsmyuncle is an unknown quantity at this point

Fair point. I honestly can't predict future hence contemplating here..
It would take a decade easily until my status becomes clear
Still inclined to take the risk.. this area(CO) is growing with lots of people from east coast and west coast coming here to settle down.
Old Jun 12th 2017, 11:25 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bobsmyuncle
Fair point. I honestly can't predict future hence contemplating here..
It would take a decade easily until my status becomes clear
Still inclined to take the risk.. this area(CO) is growing with lots of people from east coast and west coast coming here to settle down.
The number that stood out to me on your worksheet was only a 5 percent down payment. Added to your possibly temporary status, that might give a lender reason to think twice.
Old Jun 12th 2017, 11:42 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
The number that stood out to me on your worksheet was only a 5 percent down payment. Added to your possibly temporary status, that might give a lender reason to think twice.
yes, we had 35% downpayment and I see that most others are talking about 20% +
Old Jun 12th 2017, 11:50 pm
Just Joined

bobsmyuncle is an unknown quantity at this point

Let me see if anyone does lend and will update here with the outcome.
Old Jun 13th 2017, 1:58 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
It also brings in the possibility of needing two mortgages - 80% and 15%. That second mortgage, if needed, can be really expensive.